VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   Traditional vs. Alternative Powerplants (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Raptor prototype engine on an RV-10 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=162032)

alexbanman 07-07-2018 03:32 PM

Raptor prototype engine on an RV-10

Does anyone have any experience that could give some good insight on whether the raptor engine setup would work on the RV-10. Obviously it would be in a pull configuration on the RV-10. weight of the engine is coming in around 550lb and looks to have around 340 hp. Seems to me you could save a lot on this setup versus a lycoming, also could cruse at higher altitude more efficiently.
Just about to start an RV-10 build and i obviously don't want an unsafe motor or to create allot of extra work for myself but lycomings are expensive and the engine they are putting together for the raptor prototype looks realy well put together and would be cheap to maintain. Also runs on jet fuel which is available everywhere.

Kyle Boatright 07-07-2018 03:40 PM

Got a link to the engine?

My opinion is that any alternative engine will increase the build time substantially. And I'm not talking 10%...

BobTurner 07-07-2018 03:45 PM

Standard dry weight of the IO-540D4A5 is 412lbs. So with your proposal, that’s a lot of extra weight on the nose that will require serious modifications to control cg.

Timberwolf 07-07-2018 03:49 PM

Haven't heard anything lately and frankly, the project looks like a wet dream. Do some research and I think you'll come to the conclusion that the claims of that aircraft just aren't attainable at the specs they claim. As for the engine...same thing. I really would love to see them succeed for the prices they claim, but not sure it's going to happen. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting around on the powerplant to finish a plane.

mfleming 07-07-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timberwolf (Post 1271795)
Haven't heard anything lately and frankly, the project looks like a wet dream. Do some research and I think you'll come to the conclusion that the claims of that aircraft just aren't attainable at the specs they claim. As for the engine...same thing. I really would love to see them succeed for the prices they claim, but not sure it's going to happen. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting around on the powerplant to finish a plane.

I also think this would be a major challenge to fit this engine to a -10.

That being said, it does look like they are making progress and are reporting on the progress regularly through this Vlog. Although I will admit, with very little detailed info.

rv6ejguy 07-07-2018 11:06 PM

Way too soon to consider this setup for your RV10. It's only run in the most preliminary way to date. The mission is quite different on the Raptor, being a high flying pressurized aircraft, hence the 2 stage turbo setup.

They found from fuel flow testing, the hp is far short of the target at the boost and rpm they've been running.

Numerous gearbox issues, high weight, zero track record.

Better wait and see and I don't think they are considering selling engine packages for other airframes anyway.

Sue 07-08-2018 02:18 PM

Raptor

Are you guys trying to say there slick
Internet add is.... let’s use the word,
“Optimistic” ?

rv6ejguy 07-08-2018 02:29 PM

I commend Peter for showing the complete development and construction in his videos. Few companies would demonstrate such transparency. They show the mistakes and triumphs and deserve much credit for this IMO.

We should wait and see when he's done if the engine and airframe work as originally envisioned. Peter seems like the type of chap who'll admit any shortfalls with the finished product as he's demonstrated so far to date.

He's not an engine guy but he is a determined, talented and tireless engineer.

My advice to anyone considering any alternative engine is to wait until at least one example has shown excellent reliability for at least 100 hard ground test hours (at MCP) and 500 flight hours. This Audi based engine is nowhere near that benchmark yet.

rvbruce 07-09-2018 02:03 PM

Raptor Engine

I got real excited about the Inodyne turbine when I was building my -8. My friends talked me out of pursuing that and I have been grateful for that. Unless you are prepared to be a beta tester at your own expense and time for a product that may not happen, then by all means, write them a check.

airguy 07-09-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbruce (Post 1272279)
I got real excited about the Inodyne turbine when I was building my -8. My friends talked me out of pursuing that and I have been grateful for that. Unless you are prepared to be a beta tester at your own expense and time for a product that may not happen, then by all means, write them a check.

Same here, and then the Deltahawk, and then the Subaru. In the end, by the time I was ready to buy/install the engine, I had come to realize just what would be entailed and I made the choice to put on a Lycoming. After 8 years and 1985 building hours, I was ready to fly and not tinker.