What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New approach for flat Dash Paint

lr172

Well Known Member
I, like most, wanted a flat black finish on my dash. On the 6, I used rattle can flat black. The problem with cheap flat paint is that any rubbing burnishes the finish and starts to add gloss, showing exactly where you rubbed.

I asked my paint company (SPI) for ideas. The rest of my interior is Grey epoxy primer and I really like it for it's toughness. He suggessted an approach that worked great. I shot two medium coats of black SPI epoxy primer and let dry overnight. Next day I reduced the epoxy primer 50% with urethane reducer and shot one medium coat on it.

It came out great. Nice and flat (not quite as flat as the rattle can, but very close) and will never change. Most flat paint has flateners that rise to the surface and alter the surface reflection characteristics. However, those flatteners wear and burnish, as they sit on top of the paint. The above approach achieves the objective by solvent evaporation affecting the surface finish. Once cured, it is locked in and wont change no matter how much it is rubbed.

Thought I would pass the tip along to others. Not sure it would work with other epoxy primers, but worked great with the SPI epoxy primer.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to put this in the general discussion.

Larry

Last edited:
Back