What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intro/Potential -10 Build (Houston)

bkmerrill

Hello VAF!

Just wanted to give an introduction and see about RV-10?s in Houston, TX area.

About me (us): My wife, Camryn, and I are considering a -10 build (likely QB wings or full QB). I got my pilot cert in 2010, about 160hrs since (including Inst. Rtg., couple year hiatus). Engineer by degree/career/birth(?). We have a 1 yr old and live in Houston, TX.

Like all pilots, I have been researching and ?shopping? for planes for years. Came across Vans several years ago and have been a lurker on VAF for quite some time. Went to Osh a couple years back. Narrowed my Single Engine search to a few different certified models, mostly Beech Bonanza?s or faster Cessnas (210, maybe 182) (TX is a big state). Cirrus SR22 an option but still a little pricey for us for early models w/ high time engines. Currently renting a V-Tail to build time (in anticipation of future purchase/insurance needs) and maintain proficiency & get HP endorsement.

Still very interested in a future build. Trying to decide if now is the right time and if RV-10 fits our mission (and preferences). If anyone near Houston has a nicely appointed -10 for us to try on for size and possibly get a little intro flight in, that would be great. Otherwise, a little shop time around other builds might help me gauge motivation for building.

Thanks in advance!
Brandon

Woodlands RV10 Build

Brandon,

Suonds like you are doing your due diligence and need the push over the top. I spent several years doing the same. I finally decided at OSH 2016 to buy the empenage kit. It was the best decision I ever made. I found that if you keep waiting for the perfect time...it will never come. Kids, work, life you just need to jump in and do it. Make sure your wife is on board with the time commitment of building. I decided to do QB wings and SB fuse. I am so glad I did. I am ~600hr into the build and have the fuselage up to system installations, QB wings are done, empenage is done. It was very exciting building the fuse and I highly recommend it.

Tim Olsen the "Godfather of the RV10" build was a huge inspiration to me. At OSH last year he said to hit it hard so you can enjoy the plane with the kids at an age that they want to still hang out with the parents and the weekend getaway.

I live in the Woodlands and am building in the garage. Feel free to stop by and check it out. Also, there is a Houston RV meeting usually the 3rd Saturday of every month at area airports.

Tim Olsen the "Godfather of the RV10" build was a huge inspiration to me. At OSH last year he said to hit it hard so you can enjoy the plane with the kids at an age that they want to still hang out with the parents and the weekend getaway.

Welcome to the madness. I 100% agree with the comment above. We started our RV-10 build (all slow built, with mods) in 2011, the same year my wife was preggo with our daughter. Flash forward to today. Our daughter is 6 1/2 and our son is 4. I am about to order my finishing kit and we're trying hard to save up the money needed to finish it out (engine, avionics, interior, exterior).
Life most certainly gets in the way; especially if family is high on your list of priorities (which, in my opinion, it should be). I have no regrets, other than not putting more elbow grease in during the early years of my build. In the end, we'll still have a beautiful, capable RV-10 of my dreams. The only question is whether or not my kids will still want to go flying with us.
Your choices are as follows, in order of "dollar cost" - Highest to Lowest:
1) Buy a newer plane that's already flying (certified or experimental).
2) Buy an RV-10 project and finish it up (invest 10 hours a week = 1 to 2 years, depending on completeness).
3) Buy an RV-10 kit with all the Quick Build Options (invest 10-20 hours a week = 2 to 3 years).
4) Buy an RV-10 kit, Slow Build (invest 10-20 hours a week = 3 to 5 years).
** As a Data Point, I have gone all slow build and added mods that increased my required time to complete. I have been at it for 7 years, averaging about 6 hours a week. I estimate, if I keep the same pace, which I may have to do for financial reasons, it will take me another 4 years to be flying. I am doing what I can to increase my rate of progress and savings, but you get the idea.. Building your own plane is rewarding, but it also takes a lot of time. If you can't stomach my story happening to you, then either make concrete plans with you wife to work hard, work often and spend money like a soldier on leave, or save your time, save your pennies and buy the fruit of someone else's labor. My $0.02..

RV-10 in Sugar Land

Brandon,

I have a flying RV-10 at KSGR. I am out of town right now. Also I am doing my annual condition inspection. If you would like to see it next weekend, let me know.

Dave Syvertson

Thanks very much to those who have responded. As noted, yes I have been doing my due diligence. I think at this point I fully understand the pros/cons of the models I noted. I recognize the differences as they pertain to performance, operating cost, and the benefits of going with experimental. Also, as Mark mentioned, I am at the edge of diving in on airplane ownership and do just need a small push. I don?t want to spend much longer ?researching/dreaming? - I think we can swing it financially and I?d rather start making some real progress toward ownership so we can start making memories. Don?t want to wait 5 more years and regret waiting.

At this point, I am leaning toward building over buying a bonanza (or similar) for several reasons (new airframe, zero-time engine, lower ownership cost, similar cruise performance, lower fuel burn, better short/soft field performance, modern avionics, and the list goes on). I just need some convincing that:
1) We can handle the time commitment for building without losing motivation (spousal approval needed).
2) The RV-10 is a good fit (spousal approval needed here, too) in terms of size, comfort, etc.
3) Resale will not be an issue (in terms of both depreciation and liability) if/when we have to sell. How is the secondary market for RV-10?s?

Thanks again to everyone with feedback and to those of you in/around Houston, hope to meet several of you soon. If anyone else has a flying RV-10 and is willing to let us crawl around your plane or get a ride, please let me know.

Brandon

3) Resale will not be an issue (in terms of both depreciation and liability) if/when we have to sell. How is the secondary market for RV-10?s?

At present, the resale market for RV-10s is such that demand greatly exceeds supply. You'll find way more people on these forums posting "looking to by RV-10" posts than you'll ever see one go for sale. When one does go for sale, it will go quickly if reasonably priced.

The resale market could be different years from now, but given the fleet of certified aircraft the RV-10 competes with, something tells me it will be hot for a long time.

At present, the resale market for RV-10s is such that demand greatly exceeds supply. You'll find way more people on these forums posting "looking to by RV-10" posts than you'll ever see one go for sale. When one does go for sale, it will go quickly if reasonably priced.

The resale market could be different years from now, but given the fleet of certified aircraft the RV-10 competes with, something tells me it will be hot for a long time.

True dat. Another reason to build. Man, if only it didn't take so long. ;)

Brandon,

There are at least a couple of flying RV-10s at Conroe airport. Both owners are members of EAA 302 that meets at KCXO on the second Saturday of each month, and from my experience they would probably be happy to show off their RV-10's to you.

I'm building an RV-10 in a shop south of Sugar Land, but am unable to show it right now due to my being on crutches due to foot surgery. Hopefully I will be back in service by the end of June if you are still researching and want to see an RV-10 that is nearly finished but not yet buttoned up.

Best of luck with your decision and search.

Give Gaylon a call and schedule a visit. You'll walk away speechless and put in an order that day!

Back