What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical Gremlins Showing their Ugly Faces

f1rocket

Well Known Member
I have 100 hrs on my RV-12 and up to this point, they have been relatively bug free hours. In the past three weeks, I've started to see a couple of electrical gremlins surface. I find this very frustrating because there is nothing I dislike more than tracking down wiring problems.

My first problem is that the right EGT reading jumps all over the place and then quits altogether. I have messed with this one a little and I first suspected the connector clips in the engine compartment. I've adjusted them, reinserted them, etc but no joy so far. This problem comes and goes so it is hard to pin down.

Second problem is that Skyview is giving me "Standby Network Error" that comes and goes as well. This sprung up as I was returning home from The Badlands Fly In. According to the debug page, it says it is in the SV-EMS-220 harness pins 1/6. In looking at the Van's wiring diagram, it is saying that it is the oil pressure line yet the oil pressure is displaying fine.

Third problem is that my fuel flow meter is showing zero flow. I first noticed this on a test flight to check on the other two problems. Haven't dove into this one yet.

I dread tearing open the cabin and the boot cowl but have no choice at this point. Just as the Fall weather is getting good too.

I've had the same inconsistent EGT readings since Day One (now 76 hours) -- jumpy readings, no readings, sometimes they both work fine, next flight they are intermittent, one side works and the other doesn't, sometimes prior to start-up they both accurately show ambient temps but as soon as engine starts one of them gets the Big Red X, etc. -- I suspect it is in the wiring / connectors, but I can't seem to nail it down. Oh well, I'll keep chasing it.

Jumpy EGT (and CHT) readings

Same issues here beginning at 10 hours but all now resolved. I was convinced the engine monitoring module was the cause at first, but it was all just the connectors. Ended up replacing the spade connectors for the EGT wires with butt connectors/shrink wrap. Haven't had a problem since.

Similarly, the CHT temp readings were intermittantly also erratic. I replaced both of them with new connectors and was careful to properly crimp them to the wires this time. The sensor wires for these are only 22 guage and I clearly didn't do a good enough job crimping them in the first place. Again, that was at least 15 hours ago and all seems to have been resolved.

The EGT problem you describe started in mine around hour 5 on the Hobbs. Then around hour 8 it just gave up completely. I didn't bother as there is no mixture control to do anything about the EGT anyway and I decided to replace the sensor at the next annual which seem to have fixed this issue for others. I checked the wiring and crimping and it was fine.
The Standby Network has nothing to do with the sensors but is the backup network for all Skyview components to communicate with. Usually the primary network is in use until a problem is detected and the backup network would be the fallback to go to. This is the network that connects SV display to ADAHRS, servos and EMS and additional keys/knobs, etc.
If the problem occurs only occasionally you can assume that the wiring is ok (unless a crimp is going bad) and there is a good chance that one of the components is approaching an electrical failure. In my case it was a servo electronics board that went bad. Identifying the failing component is hard to do. You could keep the power to the servos off and see if you still see the issue. Then still you'd have to find out which one of the two it is and convince Dynon that you really do see issues with one when sending it in.
I do have a continuous backup network error for a while now when the servos are on, so I know that one of them is definitely bad. However, they work just fine on the primary network and I do not consider the servos essential as I can power them off at any time and fly by hand. Compared to the effort of digging down there outside of an annual and locating the culprit was not appealing to me at all.
If you see the backup network problem come up with the servos powered off I'd be more concerned as this would point to a possible problem with more vital components like the ADAHRS or the EMS. Unfortunately, it is possible that when one of the electronic components on the SV bus fails it might take the whole bus down with it (backup & primary). I have seen this happen with my early issues during the build caused by a bad servo. That could mean that you suddenly lose your complete avionic system, everything that is integrated with the SV. I think you might still get GPS data on the moving map as the GPS is connected through RS232 but the airspeed and altitude information and the compass from the ADAHRS would be gone.
The good news is that once the component failed for good, it is much easier to identify which one it is - after a, hopefully safe, visual landing.

I do hope that in your case it is a crimp slowly going bad (the bulk of connectors near the servo under the left seat pan comes to mind) and the electronics are doing fine. I can help you identifying the wires you might want to check when I get home to access the schematics. Let me know.

Last edited:
I have 100 hrs on my RV-12 and up to this point, they have been relatively bug free hours. In the past three weeks, I've started to see a couple of electrical gremlins surface. I find this very frustrating because there is nothing I dislike more than tracking down wiring problems.

My first problem is that the right EGT reading jumps all over the place and then quits altogether. I have messed with this one a little and I first suspected the connector clips in the engine compartment. I've adjusted them, reinserted them, etc but no joy so far. This problem comes and goes so it is hard to pin down.

Second problem is that Skyview is giving me "Standby Network Error" that comes and goes as well. This sprung up as I was returning home from The Badlands Fly In. According to the debug page, it says it is in the SV-EMS-220 harness pins 1/6. In looking at the Van's wiring diagram, it is saying that it is the oil pressure line yet the oil pressure is displaying fine.

Third problem is that my fuel flow meter is showing zero flow. I first noticed this on a test flight to check on the other two problems. Haven't dove into this one yet.

I dread tearing open the cabin and the boot cowl but have no choice at this point. Just as the Fall weather is getting good too.
Before I did anything else, I would check all my ground connections and re-tighten them. Loose or disconnected grounds are a common problem but easy to fix.

I have th D180. But I occasionally get a high EGT alarm on my left EGT. It's annoying, but clears shortly after it occurs and only happens once in a great while. It's like the intake manifold pressure indication - nice but not much use in practice.

Thanks for all the information and the suggestions. I appreciate the help.

I plan to swap out the connectors on the EGT probe. I don't like the spade connectors and will insert some slip blade connectors. If that doesn't work, I'll order a new EGT probe.

On the network error, this doesn't have anything to do with the servos. My harnesses were built this year in February so they are the latest. It's telling me that it's having trouble communicating with the EMS module. I "suspect" that I may be putting too much strain on an end wire (terminal 1) and that is causing the intermittent problem. The manual is not clear on this problem and I may need to talk to Dynon to make sure I am debugging this correctly.

I did encounter a problem on the way out to the Badlands Flyin that I hadn't seen before. All of a sudden, my EFIS went black and then re-booted. Not sure if that is related to any of these problems or a portend of bigger gremlins growing inside the equipment.

Thanks for your comments. I'd like to hear more from anyone who has had similar experiences.

EGT probe connectors

Not RV-12 (I'm building one, thus the interest) but I was having intermittent #1 EGT reading on my MVP-50.

I checked both crimps where the probe connects to the TC wire that runs into the cabin. Cleaned and re-seated them. No joy. Re-seated the connector behind the panel. Still no joy. Decided to order a new EGT probe.

The new EI probe came with a new type of connector http://buy-ei.com/portfolio/olc-1/. Rather than crimping on connectors, bare wire from the probe and bare wire from the TC wire go into each end of a barrel. A set screw is used to lock the wires in place.

I tried the new connector on old probe and it solved the problem!

I've had two EGT probes go out in the first 100 hrs. These failures started with jumpy readings, followed by mostly going out...although every now and then they would flicker to life. I called Dynon, and although they were apparently out of warranty, they replaced them at their cost...kudos to them for that, customer service was excellent.

Once I replaced them, problem solved so I have to assume it was bad probes although I never recieved a failure analysis from Dynon (I had to send the faulty one in). They stated they shoudnt be failing in less than 100 hrs...but with two instances, I am not real confident in the quality of these.

On the network error, this doesn't have anything to do with the servos. My harnesses were built this year in February so they are the latest. It's telling me that it's having trouble communicating with the EMS module. I "suspect" that I may be putting too much strain on an end wire (terminal 1) and that is causing the intermittent problem. The manual is not clear on this problem and I may need to talk to Dynon to make sure I am debugging this correctly.

Not criticizing your debugging, but I would not jump to conclusions from what the SV tells you about where it thinks the error is. It took me weeks of chasing my gremlins and it's too long to type it up again (it's all in my blog) but the zest is, when my servo was bad it never showed anything related to the servo being wrong. The symptom was that the ADAHRS disappeared from the bus, so the indication was that there might be something wrong with the ADAHRS, right? Wrong! It only happened when the faulty servo was on the bus. The servo itself was doing just fine but it caused the ADAHRS (oh, and also the EMS) to disappear from the bus.

What you deduct from this for your case is up to you.

I had a similar problem on my Skyview - EMS220 with an intermittent standby network error on 4/8. Pins 4 and 8 are network 2 A and B on the 9 pin connector. The problem ended up being pin 4 in the EMS side cable connector was not fully seated (locked) in the connector housing and would push in when the connector was plugged in. The cable rang out fine with the pin on a test lead I was using, but I happened to notice the socket did not look the same as the others. After removing the cover, the wire and socket pulled out with no resistance. No further problems since making sure the socket was locked in position.

John Salak
RV12 #120116, N896HS

Not criticizing your debugging, but I would not jump to conclusions from what the SV tells you about where it thinks the error is. It took me weeks of chasing my gremlins and it's too long to type it up again (it's all in my blog) but the zest is, when my servo was bad it never showed anything related to the servo being wrong. The symptom was that the ADAHRS disappeared from the bus, so the indication was that there might be something wrong with the ADAHRS, right? Wrong! It only happened when the faulty servo was on the bus. The servo itself was doing just fine but it caused the ADAHRS (oh, and also the EMS) to disappear from the bus.

What you deduct from this for your case is up to you.

Thanks. I didn't connect the dots that the problem was showing one thing but was really something else. I'm going to PM you my contact info. would you mind calling me at your convenience so I can pick your brain? I looked at your blog but could not find the relevant post(s) regarding this issue. If you could point me to the right spot, I'll read up on what you wrote about the issue. Thank you so much for your help.

I had a similar problem on my Skyview - EMS220 with an intermittent standby network error on 4/8. Pins 4 and 8 are network 2 A and B on the 9 pin connector. The problem ended up being pin 4 in the EMS side cable connector was not fully seated (locked) in the connector housing and would push in when the connector was plugged in. The cable rang out fine with the pin on a test lead I was using, but I happened to notice the socket did not look the same as the others. After removing the cover, the wire and socket pulled out with no resistance. No further problems since making sure the socket was locked in position.

John Salak
RV12 #120116, N896HS

Thanks John. I am hoping that when I look at the connectors, it's a pin problem. Nice to know that someone else has seen the same thing.

Here's a New One

Here's something else that I just discovered. I'm not sure it's supposed to work this way but maybe.

With the strobe/nav light switch in the middle, and I presume OFF, position, my interior light comes on BUT my right green position light has the two forward LEDs on in a subdued tone. The left position light is completely off. With the strobes ON or the strobe/position light ON, the interior light is OFF.

This is weird. Not sure why it would work this way. It seems I've never been lousier at wiring an airplane until I started using someone else's harnesses. :cool:

Fuel flow to zero

Randy,
I've been following your posts because I too had my fuel flow (gals/hr) go to zero last Wednesday. My observation was low fuel flow after a couple of turns about a point, left and right, during a 45 minute flight to a nearby airport for breakfast. On the return leg I continued to monitor the fuel flow and this was the only reading which was acting up.

I did a few more turns around a point and noted the fuel flow go to zero and return only a couple of times, but it was only .2 or so.

After I was back in the hangar I turned on the master and sumped some fuel from the gascolator and got the fuel flow to respond up to about 3.4. It would then go back down to 1.7 or so when I stopped. Sump again and again good flow reading up, stopped and it returned to 1.7 again. I let it sit for a couple of hours and tried it again and things appeared to be back to normal.

Saturday I remained in the pattern and did a series of touch and goes, and the fuel flow was back to normal. I have read the "red cube" has a rather delicate impeller inside and can be adversely effected by a small partial of debris. I do not know what happened to get this intermittent dead spot but it is always disconcerting to read about the electrical issues you and others have experienced. But I am glad these forums are available to share experiences. It sounds like you have some ideas of where to check on your other issues, but this was mine and fuel flow to zero issue.

Thanks Patrick.

I have fixed the EGT issue, at least for now. One of the female spade connectors was too loose and didn't engage the male spade very tightly. I squeezed it and re-assembled. Again, I do not like these connectors at all but I didn't feel like I hade enough slack to cut them off and replace them with blade connectors. I'll leave it like this for now but if the problem re-occurs, I'll do the replacement.

I have also corrected the "Backup Network Error", again for now. I pulled apart the connector to the EMS unit and thought the strain relief was too tight and pulling on the #1 wire, which is where the fault was noted. I checked the pins in the connector and they seemed fine so I re-assembled and tested it. So far no error. Not sure I really fixed anything so I guess I'll see if it reappears.

I'm working on the red cube error. I'll check continuity first and if that's good, I'll remove the unit and clean it.

I'll call you, Randy. As a primer, here are the direct links. It was a long story, so it's quite a read if you follow it from the first issue through the whole way until the culprit was found.

Oldest entry to newest:
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/2012/05/serious-avionics-problem.html
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/2012/05/replacement-control-module-ordered.html
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/2012/05/waiting-for-new-servo.html
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-good-bad-and-ugly.html

and the resolution of some more Dynon woes later in the build (temp sensor readout failure due to ADAHRS unit):
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/2012/06/repairs-repairs.html
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/2013/09/backup-battery-replaced.html

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Well I'm another week into ripping out my electrical componentry and not really that much closer to fixing all the problems. I think we are beginning to see the downside of creating wiring harnesses and hubs for the masses. They work great when they work great. If you have a problem, good luck tracing it back. All the wires disappear into the hub. Here's the current status.

The EGT issue reared up again this morning while I was testing out a fix for another problem. Time to cut off the connectors. I moved the probe connections from one side to the other and the problem followed along so I'm pretty sure it's not the probe. I'll eliminate the connectors as a problem this time and try again.

The fuel flow issue was resolved by replacing the Red Cube. Cost $150 from Spruce but I see that Dynon warranties the sending units for a year. I probably can't get reimbursed because I took the old Red Cube apart to see how it works. Anyway, I connected up the new one and test ran the engine, and the fuel flow returned. At least I have one thing fixed.

The network error remains. I talked to Torsten about the issues he had. Thanks Torsten. I have checked the harness as much as I can. I've removed pins, reseated them, etc. and the problem persists. As in Torsten's case, I suspect the problem is in another component but can't really prove it. I talked to Dynon support and Keith was less than helpful. I understand their position, but I'm now pretty sure that it's not a wiring issue.

I am now getting an intermittent failure of the EMS on my display. Maybe this is from screwing around with the wiring so much, or maybe the problem is in the EMS unit. Right now, I suspect the EMS so I've asked Dynon for a return authorization so I can ship the EMS module back to them for check out.

So I'm still all apart in the hangar as some of the best Fall flying weather goes by. I'm itching to make a trip out to the East coast before winter and I need to go to Florida to take my Repairman's class in Sebring. Hopefully Dynon can shed a little light on the problem or perhaps, the mystery will continue.

Stand by for more updates as I learn more.

Another week gone by and at least I am back in the air (for now). Fuel flow fixed. Network error remains but I'm reasonably sure it's one of the autopilot servos or the wiring runs to them. I cut the network lines where they branch off the EFIS-EMS harness and the network error disappeared. Of course, I then had a bunch of autopilot error messages.

I re-connected the wires and buttoned it up. I'm going to fly with it for a while until I do an annual this winter sometime and then, I will track down the specific component.

Dynon, while trying to accommodate me, has been somewhat less than forthcoming with data. For example, I specifically asked them if a component failure somewhere else (AP servo) could cause the EFIS to think the error is somewhere else. I got a lot of gobbledygook but no direct answer. They have been willing for me to send back any component I think is failing and they will test it for me and ship it back, so that is about all I can expect from them until I can give them some specific screen prints as I debug things.

Just hope you never see the dreaded "Backup Network Error".

Randy,
I have replaced a number of EGT probes due to the poorly crimped connectors. My final solution is to crimp and solder new connectors. No soldered connector has failed as of yet.
I don't have the 12's hub but after installing the Dynon Knob panel it failed after a couple hours (went to full bright, then out). About 15 minutes later I got the backup network error message. Once on the ground, a system detect did not show the Knob or either a/p servo. Moved cables around, plugged, unplugged, sometimes would detect the servos, sometimes not, never the Knob. Even borrowed a computer network cable at the FBO to test. Finally satisfied myself the failed Knob panel and not cables or connections was the cause. Dynon replaced the main board in the panel. All is well.
My conclusion is a failure in one part may give a faulty indication elsewhere. Beg, borrow or steal an EMS unit from someone and see if your problem goes away. No, try another ADAHARS. Or display.

We've gt about 130 hours on ours and we've begun to get get oil and gas pressure warnings screaming in our ears. The gauges are also starting to show 'erratic' readings. We've tested the oil pressure and the gas pressure so I know that part's okay. Not sure what to do next.

Problem Solved!

Well I've finally put to bed the electrical gremlins that have been dogging me for the past couple of months. The short answer is that the EMS module had a couple of faulty IC chips in it.

Now for the editorial. Turn off now if you're not interested.

While I have no issues with Dynon's final resolution to the issue, I do have a problem with how long it took me to convince them that it was their module and not my wiring. I guess I understand their position. They are dealing with unknown construction techniques and a ton of builder variables so it's logical that they would suspect the installation. I get that. But at some point, you have to believe me when I tell you that I've checked the connectors, pins, backshells, harnesses, etc. The service technician would actually argue with me on the phone about it. If not for a software update failure I would STILL be living with the problems. I eventually became very frustrated with dealing with them on the telephone and found them to be of little help once I got past their initial remedial solutions. I was left on my own to debug a system where there's nothing but wires running to black boxes.

And there in lies the real problem. Once you've determined that the wiring is okay, there are precious few tools remaining to help you figure out the problem. While the wiring hub that Van's provides has enormous benefits in terms of quality and time to build, it does complicate the debugging process. I'd sure like to see some diagnostic software for the Dynon that could help pinpoint hardware defects more easily.

My advice to others is if you start to experience problems and you've eliminated the sensor or the wiring, get a RMA number from Dynon and send the unit in to them to have it checked out. You can run around in circles for months.

My advice to others is if you start to experience problems and you've eliminated the sensor or the wiring, get a RMA number from Dynon and send the unit in to them to have it checked out. You can run around in circles for months.

Excellent advice. I had a problem with my EMS starting on the first flight. The symptoms were probably more telling than yours: interference between the PTT switch and the EGT readings. Once aware of this issue Dynon did not argue and asked me to send my EMS module back. Because of this I am more positive than you are about Dynon's support but you explained well Dynon's position regarding home built airplanes. May be my advice to Dynon would be to be more liberal in allowing RMAs as there means of testing are better than ours. Getting a "black box" out of suspicion would greatly help troubleshooting.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, Randy! Been there, done that.
Very glad to hear that you finally nailed it down and have a working system now!

Gremlins: EGT and PTT

I'm not at all comfortable at reading electrical diagrams and so maybe the answer to my question is there, I just don't know how to read it. Here's the question: When I press my mic button (PTT), my EGT displays start doing the pogo-stick imitation and jump up and down. This is true for either the pilot or co-pilot. When the PTT is released, the jumping stops and the EGTs read normally. I have the pre-08-25-11 wiring harness for the Skyview.

I've needed to replace both EGT probes some time ago and have experienced good performance since.

When I study the electrical schematic, I see no reference to EGT wiring and could use the help of this group to know where to go next.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Scott Lane,
The problem could be grounding. Make sure there is no paint under the battery ring terminal where it bolts to the airframe. And make sure that the engine is well grounded to the same point and that the crimps are secure with no corrosion. Below is a quote from the Dynon D-180 installation manual. It also applies to the Skyview. Turn on ALL electrical loads during the test.
Also check the radio antenna coax cable and the antenna mounting for ground connection.
Because of the current drawn by the FlightDEK-D180, even very small resistances between battery ground and instrument ground can cause voltage differences which adversely affect engine sensor readings. An easy way to test the quality of the instrument’s ground is to measure voltage between the ground pin at the FlightDEK-D180 and the ground lead at your aircraft’s battery. With the FlightDEK-D180 powered on, connect one lead of your voltmeter to a free ground lead coming from the FlightDEK-D180. Connect the other lead of your voltmeter to the ground terminal of your battery. The voltage between these two points should measure very close to 0 mV (within 5 mV). If it does not, you must improve the ground connection between the ground of your battery and that of your avionics bus.

Last edited:
Gremlin Test later this week

Thanks Joe!
I'll test this out when I can get to the hangar later this week, and report findings back here. Still curious though about EGT not showing on the electrical schematic.
Scott

Dynon had some EMS units that had need to be returned.
Experiencing the same issue, I sent mine to them, and after return, no issues. That was about two years ago, but you know how time flies.

I'm not at all comfortable at reading electrical diagrams and so maybe the answer to my question is there, I just don't know how to read it. Here's the question: When I press my mic button (PTT), my EGT displays start doing the pogo-stick imitation and jump up and down. This is true for either the pilot or co-pilot. When the PTT is released, the jumping stops and the EGTs read normally. I have the pre-08-25-11 wiring harness for the Skyview.

I've needed to replace both EGT probes some time ago and have experienced good performance since.

When I study the electrical schematic, I see no reference to EGT wiring and could use the help of this group to know where to go next.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Sounds like RF from the transmitter is getting into the wiring. Often this is caused by bad antenna SWR. Bad SWR can cause the coax cable between your radio and antenna to radiate RF power into nearby wiring, potentially causing all kinds of weird problems, and it's also not good for your radio.

I had a similar problem in my RV-7A with the same symptoms as yours, and it turned out to be a badly installed BNC connector at the antenna end of the coax cable. The center conductor was shorted to the braid on the antenna end. Installing a new connector fixed the issue.

Others have had bad SWR because of a badly grounded antenna.

Just making sure there's continuity from the center pin at one end to the center pin at the other, with no connection between the center pin and the outer shell can tell you a lot about whether the coax cable is bad. And inspect the center pins to see if they're as far forward as they should be. Also test continuity while flexing the cable at the connectors to see if you have a short/open that only happens when the cable is in a certain position.

One other diagnostic is to see if transmitting on a handheld radio nearby causes the same problem. You might just have electronics that are overly sensitive to RF. In this case a talk with the manufacturer might get you resolution.

Good luck!

Okay. Somebody has to say it. So I am going to say it. The Emperor is not wearing any clothes....

Gosh. Makes me miss the "olden days" when we timed two mags and then went flying for a year. I am starting to hate all manner of electronic engine instruments and their persnikity sensors and connectors. It never ceases to amaze me. EI. JPI. Insight. Dynon. Garmin. 9 times out of ten the problem is with a sensor or a connection. Meanwhile you scare the bejesus out of your passengers with the danger annunciations in the headsets. Think of the robot in "Lost in Space". Danger. Danger Will Robinson. Danger. Sheesh.

Remember when we had pressure lines connected directly to bourdon tube gauges that couldn't care less if there was a battery or an overly sensitive metrosexual sensor and voice who felt as if it had been insulted by a loose ground? The "olden days" engine gauges were super reliable and simple. The FAA likes the newer electronic versions of engine instrumentation without oil or fuel tubes or thermocouple wires passing through the firewall for "safety reasons". But with all the false and annoying annunciations in your headsets the true reason for the new fangled stuff improving safety becomes clear. It truly IS safer when you give up flying all together after you've had enough of your airplane's Bichin' Betty telling you you're GOING TO DIE every time you want to enjoy a nice peaceful flight on a perfect day. Much less having the nervous spouse on board listening to all that. You try to convince them everything is actually just fine. Remember you can't fool the one who washes your whitey tighteys.

For anybody who might get the impression I am an anti-technology unibomber type, rest assured that I am an electrical engineer and aerospace design engineer and technology and gadget freak. To the degree of an early adopter. But my enthusiasm for electronic aircraft engine monitoring has lost it's luster. Life was so much easier before Betty and the boy who cried wolf. I am confident that digital engine monitoring will improve over time but we really need to fire Betty. Now. Look at the example of audio intercoms. They used to all mute background music whenever a passenger or pilot broke intercom vox or the radio receiver got a transmission. That was super annoying and distracting. After years of annoying interruptions to the normal human hearing pattern and brainwave activity most new intercoms and audio panels provide "karaoke mode" wherein the music audio and/or radio or ICS traffic is heard at the same time. Surprise... that is just like real life and how our brains are wired. Automute, or soft mute or whatever the first clever audio engineer came up with in a "stroke of genius" was in fact a human factor failure. In the first degree. There is nothing more distracting than a constant interruption of a normal sound pattern. I think the same is true for the current crop digital engine monitoring with their suspect sensors and non fool-proof connectors highlighted by a little voice nagging the pilot about any little thing that comes along. We wouldn't put up with a snooty passenger bugging us continuously throughout a flight so why do we put up with or robotic Betty without firing her? Heck, in fact we paid thousands of dollars to hire Betty with her annoying voice. I thought my ex was on board the first time I heard "the voice" I contend the combination of flaky non-standardized sensors and connectors with a bichin' betty voice actually makes things less safe than the "good old days". Nag nag nag. What is more distracting than THAT on short final? Right?.... Right.

Remember in the semi-Renaissance "good old days" when your stupid GPS navigator would annunciate "arriving at destination" when you were over the numbers trying to land? No sh** Sherlock. Shut the f** up already. I am try to concentrate on my landing you piece...

Maybe a Dynon or Garmin PFD and/or MFD, minus EIS sitting along side legacy engine gauges is the new Rennasaince.

Jim The Rennasaince Man
Shut the f*** up, you... voice you

Last edited:
Network Status Debug

Wondering if any of you can help me debug my SV Network Status as it appears some have gone before me with this problem. I have been getting a sporadic Standby Network Error. The roll servo goes offline occasionally also. Could be a poor connection at the roll servo, but before tearing out panels, wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
In the Network Status Page this is what I see in yellow,
1: SV32/SV42/SV52 Serial:0058890 SW Version 14.2.1.3698 - Status Ready
Skyview Network Connection Fault-Data 2 Pair (Pins 4&8)
2: SV32/SV42/SV52 Serial:005561-SW Version: 14.2.1 33698 - Status Ready
Skyview Network Connection Fault- Data 2 Pair (Pins 4&8)
Yes, I know I need to upgrade my SV Version. Todays project.
Thanks for any input.
Dan

Back