VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Manual flap -6 or am I dumb? (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=153197)

punkin 09-09-2017 01:11 PM

Manual flap -6 or am I dumb?

I posted a question earlier about converting my rv-6 back to manual flaps...didn't get any replies.

Today, I asked an RV-8 builder at the airport (a guy I respect a lot!) and he told me the RV-6 was never built with manual flaps.

Am I all wet? We all make mistakes (I make more than most), but I thought for sure the -6 had manual flaps with a lever between the seats?

If it never existed, I really don't want to invent it...but if it did, I'd like to figure out how to put mine back that way.

Thanks!

Sam Buchanan 09-09-2017 01:17 PM

The -6 models did indeed come with manual flaps. Even though most conversions have been from manual to electric, there is no reason why you can't make the move back to manual if you purchase the required parts. Take a look at a set of -6 plans to get the part numbers you need and order from Vans. Or....post your request here on VAF, there may be some -6 owners who saved the old flap lever and associated parts when they made the conversion to electric.

NYTOM 09-09-2017 01:18 PM

Electric flaps were a option. My 6-A prints show manual flaps.

dtw_rv6 09-09-2017 01:30 PM

I've had manual flaps for 10 years in my RV6. Wouldn't put a motor on them if you held a gun to my head.

punkin 09-09-2017 01:38 PM

Well...I may be crazy, but not because of this.

Glad to know it's an option.

I'll toss an ad in the classifieds to see if anyone is sitting on the parts. Thanks guys!

Mel 09-09-2017 01:48 PM

When I built my -6, it was manual flaps, manual trim, tail wheel, and tip-up canopy. No other options.
All that "modern" stuff came later. None of which interested me!

I have an extra manual flap weldment, but not interested is getting rid of it. I could send you dimensions but I think they are depicted in the plans.

punkin 09-09-2017 03:24 PM

Thanks Mel

If it's handy and you could shoot a photo and dimensions that'd be cool.

I suppose I ought to buy a set of plans anyway, since you guys seem as familiar with them as I am with my kids!

NYTOM 09-09-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkin (Post 1202776)
If it's handy and you could shoot a photo and dimensions that'd be cool.

I suppose I ought to buy a set of plans anyway, since you guys seem as familiar with them as I am with my kids!

Scott the plans are on two sheets page 40 & 42 of the RV6 plans set.
PM me your address and I'll send you the pages if you like. I looked up the part numbers on Vans site and they came up blank so you may not be able to get them anymore. But if your skilled in metal working and mechanically handy you could easily build the parts from the plans. It's a very simple setup.

ccsmith51 09-09-2017 04:49 PM

My RV-4 had electric flaps. My RV-6 had manual flaps. I much prefer the manual system...

AlexPeterson 09-09-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkin (Post 1202750)
I posted a question earlier about converting my rv-6 back to manual flaps...didn't get any replies.

Today, I asked an RV-8 builder at the airport (a guy I respect a lot!) and he told me the RV-6 was never built with manual flaps.

Am I all wet? We all make mistakes (I make more than most), but I thought for sure the -6 had manual flaps with a lever between the seats?

If it never existed, I really don't want to invent it...but if it did, I'd like to figure out how to put mine back that way.

Thanks!

Probably a good idea to see if anyone in the region has one you can fly, if even from the right seat, just to get a feel for what you will have.

It is obviously a personal preference - I've had zero issues in 1600 hours with my electric flaps. I did fly a couple hours in a 6A with manual flaps, but didn't care for them. For me, it was an awkward maneuver.