What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone Flying Behind a Garmin G3X Yet?

flickroll

Well Known Member
If so would appreciate hearing how you like it. Pros/cons, other equipment installed, etc. Garmin has announced integrated engine monitoring, autopilot (Tru-Trak), and geo-referenced approach plates. Looks pretty exciting. Thanks

Well, Doug has a single-screen system in his RV, I get to play with them at work, and I believe Stein has built some G3X panels... so there is some knowledge floating around these parts!

mcb

Here's the reason for my question:

I'm going to upgrade my panel from legacy Dynon units to something else. I have been looking at the following:

Dynon Skyview

GRT

Advanced

Garmin G3X series. This system looks nice, particularly with the announcement of their integrated Tru-Trak autopilot. A few things are holding me back though.

For a system of this cost, synthetic vision ought to be an included feature. I have seen nothing to indicate this will be forthcoming. Ditto for a HITS approach system or Flight Director. Garmin has announced geo-referenced approach plates which is indeed good! Also, I downloaded the pilot's guide and one thing I do not like is the HSI can display only one Nav source at a time. Heck, my D100 would display multiple sources, so you could use it to display your primary nav source, plus others for an RMI type indicator. Garmin's G500 will also do this. So I like the system, but as I said a few things need enhancement. Software upgrades could easily enhance all of this, but Garmin typically does not announce enhancements until upgrades are eminent. So I'm still looking for the best bang for the buck.....

I definitely can't talk about anything that hasn't been announced publicly, but I can comment about one thing:

Also, I downloaded the pilot's guide and one thing I do not like is the HSI can display only one Nav source at a time. Heck, my D100 would display multiple sources, so you could use it to display your primary nav source, plus others for an RMI type indicator. Garmin's G500 will also do this.

G3X will also display bearing pointers on the PFD HSI.

mcb

...what Matt said.

I'm flying the G3X single-screen system in my Glastar Sportsman. The RMI feature just showed up in the latest round of beta-test software...or maybe it was there just before, but the docs are always a little behind the software. (Dang writers!)

In terms of basic function, the G3X is very, very good. And it's been dead reliable.

As for synthetic vision showing up...well...I don't work for Garmin so I can freely speculate. But it's not Garmin's way to sit back and not try to match its competition feature-for-feature. Put another way, it would very much surprise me if SV didn't come to the G3X eventually. When it does, though, you are definitely going to want this to be a two-screen system.

Thanks for the replies Matt and Marc. The lack of RMI pointers was a non starter for me, so I'm glad they're available. I agree that I'll want 2 screens. Heck, if I could fit 3 in my -8 panel I would (including SL30, G430W, GTX 327, and an audio panel) since I'd like a dedicated engine screen. One option is to install a Dynon EMS D-10 and not feed engine data to the G3X. I don't like this option though because I'd lose a lot of system integration.

One other thing I am not excited about is the VNAV indicator appears to the left of the Airspeed tape. I think it should be adjacent to the HSI. Has this been changed with the latest software?

Last edited:
I have a 696 with weather panel mounted in my VFR RV-7A. Will my 696 work reasonably well with a G3X when I expand to an IFR capable panel? I truly love flying behind the 696.

Last edited:
I have a 696 with weather panel mounted in my VFR RV-7A. Will my 696 work reasonably well with a G3X when I expand to an IFR capable panel?

A 696 won't interface with any of the other G3X equipment, so it will forever remain "just" a 696.

mcb

flight director

Been flying and loving my new G3X panel and wondering if a flight director is forthcoming in the future. The HITS boxes are OK but a choice between "cross hairs" or "V bars" and HITS would be nice. What say you Matt?

Been flying and loving my new G3X panel and wondering if a flight director is forthcoming in the future. The HITS boxes are OK but a choice between "cross hairs" or "V bars" and HITS would be nice. What say you Matt?

Hello Jon,

Glad to hear you are are enjoying your new panel. As you are probably aware, we generally don't like to pre-announce new features before they're available. However I suspect you would be pleased if you could see all the interesting things we have in development. We are always hard at work on something!

thanks,
- Matt

Last edited:
Hello Jon,

Glad to hear you are are enjoying your new panel. As you are probably aware, we generally don't like to pre-announce new features before they're available. However I suspect you would be pleased if you could see all the interesting things we have in development. We are always hard at work on something!

thanks,
- Matt

Thanks for the update Matt, looking forward to what's in store!

Hello Jon,

thanks,
- Matt

Matt,
I'm looking forward to whatever you guys come up with. I love my two panel G3X initialization in the Doll, and can't imagine how you could make it any better! Unless...... you are planning a flight director like I the one I use in the Boeing 727 for 23 years. I got good at flying formation on the Delta with the "Bat wings". Most the time, I would rather fly the bat wings than coupling it up for George to do the work. No matter what, the G3X is outstanding! Keep up the good work.

Back