VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-12 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   TESTING - 3 blade prop in RV-12 iS (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=156625)

E. D. Eliot 01-04-2018 05:22 PM

TESTING - 3 blade prop in RV-12 iS
 
Was at Van's yesterday - looking around, returning parts that I over-ordered, picking up new parts. Walked out to the hanger to look at what's new just as Scott returned from an iS demo flight. Beautiful airplane! Noticed that they are 'testing a three blade prop. Asked if it was a CATO prop and if it was ok to list that info here. Was told that it was likely (not sure) a CATO, that they were testing it, and that it was ok to post here. A beautiful prop. Hope that it works out ok. Took a photo but there is no way that I am able to post it here - sorry.

Phantom30 01-04-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. D. Eliot (Post 1229865)
Was at Van's yesterday - looking around, returning parts that I over-ordered, picking up new parts. Walked out to the hanger to look at what's new just as Scott returned from an iS demo flight. Beautiful airplane! Noticed that they are 'testing a three blade prop. Asked if it was a CATO prop and if it was ok to list that info here. Was told that it was likely (not sure) a CATO, that they were testing it, and that it was ok to post here. A beautiful prop. Hope that it works out ok. Took a photo but there is no way that I am able to post it here - sorry.

Very interesting!!! Love to hear what Vanís thinks.

rvbuilder2002 01-04-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. D. Eliot (Post 1229865)
Was at Van's yesterday - looking around, returning parts that I over-ordered, picking up new parts. Walked out to the hanger to look at what's new just as Scott returned from an iS demo flight. Beautiful airplane! Noticed that they are 'testing a three blade prop. Asked if it was a CATO prop and if it was ok to list that info here. Was told that it was likely (not sure) a CATO, that they were testing it, and that it was ok to post here. A beautiful prop. Hope that it works out ok. Took a photo but there is no way that I am able to post it here - sorry.

It was nice meeting you yesterday Ed.
Sorry I had to run right away.... we were late getting to a meeting after returning from a test flight evaluating the propeller performance.

One correction.... the propeller being test is a Sensenich 3 blade ground adjustable. It is an updated version from the original design we tested early in the RV-12 development program and decided not to offer in the kit.

The decision on whether to offer this newer design as an option is still under evaluation.

E. D. Eliot 01-05-2018 12:25 AM

Link attached - I hope
 
Here's the photo link - I hope.


https://imgur.com/q5BNhUU

Phantom30 01-05-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. D. Eliot (Post 1229951)
Here's the photo link - I hope.


https://imgur.com/q5BNhUU

Love the look of that egg beater!

Phantom30 01-05-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 (Post 1229938)
It was nice meeting you yesterday Ed.
Sorry I had to run right away.... we were late getting to a meeting after returning from a test flight evaluating the propeller performance.

One correction.... the propeller being test is a Sensenich 3 blade ground adjustable. It is an updated version from the original design we tested early in the RV-12 development program and decided not to offer in the kit.

The decision on whether to offer this newer design as an option is still under evaluation.

Scott..would love to hear what the test pilot thought relative in smoothness compared to 2 blade...whether Vanís decides to offer as option..

rvbuilder2002 01-06-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom30 (Post 1230135)
Scott..would love to hear what the test pilot thought relative in smoothness compared to 2 blade...whether Vanís decides to offer as option..

There is no noticeable difference in smoothness between the standard two blade and the three blade being tested as long as both have had the blade pitch set accurately and a dynamic balance has been done.

A few other comparisons...

The 3 blade is between 1-2 lbs lighter than the two blade.

It makes the lower cowl more difficult to remove and install (will require a longer nose gear leg slot if it is officially adopted)

It has zero indexing capability for the blade pitch so each blade must be 100% adjusted manually (not a big deal for those that want smooth running and do that anyway)

The prop can be removed from the engine with the blades still installed, so no repitching is necessary if removed for 500 hr gear box inspections, etc.

Comparisons in performance will have to wait.......

todehnal 03-07-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 (Post 1230265)
There is no noticeable difference in smoothness between the standard two blade and the three blade being tested as long as both have had the blade pitch set accurately and a dynamic balance has been done.

A few other comparisons...

The 3 blade is between 1-2 lbs lighter than the two blade.

It makes the lower cowl more difficult to remove and install (will require a longer nose gear leg slot if it is officially adopted)

It has zero indexing capability for the blade pitch so each blade must be 100% adjusted manually (not a big deal for those that want smooth running and do that anyway)

The prop can be removed from the engine with the blades still installed, so no repitching is necessary if removed for 500 hr gear box inspections, etc.

Comparisons in performance will have to wait.......

Found this posting from 2 months ago. Any additional info available on the testing process at Van's?

Burtonport 03-07-2018 02:06 PM

Prop for RV-12
 
Since Van’s likes the prop for the RV-12 to be at an exact pitch then why not commission a fixed pitch prop, either 2 or 3 blade, that will be pitched exactly as specified for an RV-12?
I wonder if Van’s has ever considered a fixed pitch prop for the RV-12? My guess is that sometime over the last 10 years they have. I would be interested in hearing the plus and minus for a fixed pitch prop for the RV-12.
Thanks.

rv9builder 03-07-2018 02:50 PM

Yes, Vanís considered a fixed-pitch prop during RV-12 development. If I remember correctly, they decided to go with an adjustable prop so builders can fine-tune the prop to their specifications. If your plane is based in high mountains, you might want your prop set up differently than a plane based at sea level.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 AM.