What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New tire, new shimmy

Norcalrv7

Well Known Member
A few days ago I replaced the nose tire and tube on my RV-7A due to a worn tube. Nose wheel has been modified by anti splat with sealed bearings, and
previously had been balanced. On takeoff roll with the new tire and tube I noticed a slight bumping during and after the ground roll. "dang" I thought to myself, new tire isn't balanced as perfectly as the old one. No big deal I thought, until I landed. Normal landing, but when I let the nose gear touch I felt a split second of shimmy, which then stopped. I went around the pattern again to confirm, and same thing happened. I've never had any shimmy at all in my airplane, guess its time to pull the tire back off and balance it.

Caleb

A few days ago I replaced the nose tire and tube on my RV-7A due to a worn tube. Nose wheel has been modified by anti splat with sealed bearings, and
previously had been balanced. On takeoff roll with the new tire and tube I noticed a slight bumping during and after the ground roll. "dang" I thought to myself, new tire isn't balanced as perfectly as the old one. No big deal I thought, until I landed. Normal landing, but when I let the nose gear touch I felt a split second of shimmy, which then stopped. I went around the pattern again to confirm, and same thing happened. I've never had any shimmy at all in my airplane, guess its time to pull the tire back off and balance it.

Caleb

....Before you remove it from your plane, give it a spin to visually check it for being round, with no more than about .060" run-out. Any more than this can cause issues. The Aero Classic tires are the worst. If you find this to be the case, remove it and send it back as defective. We return about 30% of them as unusable. The most perfectly round tire for the nose is the Ching Shin cheep tires. Also be certain the wheel halves are properly aligned with one another. I see this error all the time on Matco nose wheels when they come in for service or modification. Thanks, Allan...:D

Back