VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-10 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wing Walk Material (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=158123)

bob888 02-25-2018 07:42 AM

Wing Walk Material
 
What is the best material for the non-skid wing walk area that goes on the upper wing root areas? What about the clear protective strip that protects the paint on the forward flap area? Thanks...

mike newall 02-25-2018 07:46 AM

Ray Allen does it with a nice cut logo.

Spruce

Kyle Boatright 02-25-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike newall (Post 1241996)
Ray Allen does it with a nice cut logo.

Spruce

I have some of what I believe is the Ray Allen material on my -6. It has always been pretty slick when wet. I was hoping to find something with more grip for the -10.

Mike S 02-25-2018 08:00 AM

Vans has some for the 10, nice cutouts for the gap cover screws too.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...uct=wing-walks

Mark Dickens 02-25-2018 08:40 AM

I remember that some have used skate board grip tape as a wing walk material. I will be taking my -8 to paint in about a month and am thinking about what I'm going to use after that. Wondering if anyone had a pirep on using skate board material?

Edit: and it's a lot cheaper too

Jeff Vaughan 02-25-2018 08:43 AM

3M makes a nice material that you can get from McMaster Carr

Carl Froehlich 02-25-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike S (Post 1242000)
Vans has some for the 10, nice cutouts for the gap cover screws too.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...uct=wing-walks

Consider not putting it on the wing root cover. Just on the wing is more than enough, and that way you donít promote people kicking toes into the side of the fusleage. Just tell them ďif it is not black, donít step on itĒ. This seems to work.

Carl

kdedmunds 02-25-2018 09:30 AM

Skate board material
 
If you want something that is completely custom, Google skateboard custom grip tape. The possibilities become endless. Requires more decisions:)

9GT 02-25-2018 10:21 AM

Stay away from the clear stuff. It is easily soiled/stained and is near impossible to clean afterwards.

JohnInReno 02-25-2018 01:12 PM

Stair tape
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dickens (Post 1242010)
I remember that some have used skate board grip tape as a wing walk material. I will be taking my -8 to paint in about a month and am thinking about what I'm going to use after that. Wondering if anyone had a pirep on using skate board material?

Edit: and it's a lot cheaper too

I installed the usual rubbery wing walk material but it disintegrated in flight. I believe that my paint was too "slippery" and allowed the material to separate. If I used that again, I would prep the paint with 400 grit first.

At the time, I needed to replace one side while I was away from home so I used 3 lines of 2" Stair tape (3m?) from Home Depot or Lowes. It is rough on knees but sticking is terrific and there are no issues when it is wet. When I got home, I used the stair tape on the other side so it would match.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 PM.