What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen, what size bottle?

Flying again!

Well Known Member
I am looking to get an oxygen system. I am trying to decide between the Aerox 4M or 4F systems, the difference is 22 vs 33 cf bottle. The 4M is more available and cheaper.

Most of the time it will be 2-3 people on it.

Is the 22 cf for an RV-10 sufficient or do people go to 33 cf or bigger?

Thanks for any insight.

TJ

How are you going to refill the bottle? If it's built in with a fill port then I'd go bigger. If it's portable then smaller is easier to deal with. Also remember that FBOs will often charge a flat rate for an 02 refill, so a larger bottle gets you more for your $$$.

I've found that I need to fly 300+ mile legs to make it worth while to climb high enough to use 02. Anything shorter doesn't make it worth the climb.

~Marc

This is a portable system. I am looking at flying from DFW area to Eugene OR and thought the O2 would help over the Rockies and help my pax avoid headache. The 22 cf would be easier to stow but may need refilling on the road.

If you use oxygen conserving cannulas 22 cubic feet will last a long time. Get a pulse oxymizer while you're at it.
I use the E size cylinder. Fits nicely between the seats, on top of the center tunnel.
PS My wife used to get headaches above 10k'. Just a very small flow of O2 and no headaches. I feel better, too.

Last edited:
Back