What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

glare shield cutouts for fans + handholds?

sritchie

Well Known Member
Hey all,

I've ordered the Cleaveland glare shield fabric and liner and am about to lay out the glare shield and cut it to size.

My question is, how did y'all finish the edges of the holes for the handholds on the top of the panel and for the avionics holes? Anything special or did you just leave it rough?

One more question on the screws for the avionics fans and the glare shield. Did you cover the heads of the screws completely with the glare shield fabric and bet on not having to remove them (I'm guessing not), or capture the glare shield fabric with the flush screw?

A picture would be very much appreciated here! I'd like this area to look great but I haven't done any work like this before.

For the handholds, I duplicated the reinforcement doubler but made it 1/2 inch larger and riveted it along with the doubler. This provides a lip for the fabric to be hidden under.
For the fans, I fabricated a deflector which directs the air at the windshield.
I no longer have a way post my photos, but if you pm me I will email you some photos.

Back