What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OMG! My first flight in the RV-3B

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
Oh my gosh! Is it possible for there to be an RV out there that shatters my expectations for performance and enchantment? I mean, I regularly fly two delightful RVs…..my -6 (Mikey) and Paul’s -8 (Valkyrie) and I’m admittedly spoiled by their charms. I love flying them. Mikey is wonderfully light and precise on the controls. The centerline, fighter-pilot feel in the pilot’s seat along with the 360 degree visibility (except the annoying roll bar) of the -8 makes it a fun machine, too. But, the -3 surpassed them both…..no contest!

We selected KLBX for my first flight as it is out from under the Class B airspace and has a MUCH longer and wider runway than our home field. When we arrived this morning, the AWOS reported 16 kts gusting to 22 kts, 20-30 degrees off the nose. It wasn’t ideal, but it also wasn’t too bad, I decided to go for it!

First impression? It seems to climb like our neighbor’s F-1 Rocket. I was trying to make a “normal”, steady and conservative departure but found myself passing through 1000’ agl well before the end of the 7000’ runway. With the first turn out of the pattern, it was clear the controls were even lighter than my -6, yet beautifully precise. I climbed up to 5000’ agl (and msl), then practiced landing pattern/approaches with go-arounds. As Paul had briefed, the plane does NOT want to slow down. I found it hard to keep it down in the white arc. The plane just wanted to keep screaming along. Oddly, it reminded me of the RV-12 in its seeming desire to stay afloat. After three practice patterns up high, I came back in for a real approach and landing. I got Junior slowed down and touched where I wanted but a strong gust caught me just when I thought I had it done. Power in and around I went. I then made three landings (two stop-and-goes) before turning Junior back over to Paul for the flight home. The winds would be almost direct x-winds at home and I don’t feel ready to try that much x-wind yet.

Here's my RV grin at the end of the flight. Bundled up as it's a bit nippy today.
IMG_1498.JPG

The -3 exceeded just about every aspect of our other RVs for pure fun, local flying. It climbed better and has extraordinary visibility. The controls are lighter, throttle response quicker, and both feel more precise than either of the two other planes. Without question, the -3’s cockpit design and comfort blows them both away. It is pure joy to fly! And, the -3B is cheaper to build and cheaper to fly! As it seems most RVs are flown solo the vast majority of the time, I have to wonder why the -3B isn’t the most popular model?

As I flew my -6 back home, it felt sluggish. Like going from a Porsche to a 4-Runner. Both have their missions. One is a heck of a lot more fun to drive and the other is more practical on trips. I’ve always found the -8 to feel more solid but also sluggish in roll response relative to the -6 and figure flying the Valkyrie immediately after Junior will feel like driving a Mack truck. No question which plane will be my first choice for solo flights without a lot of baggage (which is the vast majority of my flying).

The winds remain gusty today but I’ve told Paul to not be surprised if the -3 is gone when he gets up tomorrow morning. He may have a tough time prying it away from me in the future!

Last edited:
Very cool Louise, well except for finding out how sluggish my RV-6 is.

My question is how did you manage with the moving map in the track up mode?

My question is how did you manage with the moving map in the track up mode?

Uh...I had to change it BACK to "Track Up" when I got in...... I think we're going to need a hot-key to toggle it back and forth, right on the main screen. Or maybe a button on the stick....:rolleyes:

"... and figure flying the Valkyrie immediately after Junior will feel like driving a Mack truck."

Ouch! :D

Congrats!!!

I'm SO JEALOUS!!! I see one of your website moderators zooming around in his all the time at over 200mph.... Brian will text me right before he takes off and it's just enough time for me to jump off of the Boss's Jet and watch as I see that darn twinkie dissapear straight up!!!!!! Every time I see him, it's ZOOM!!! He claims it flies like a Ferrari. He sent me some you tube links and I gotta get one. I painted a 172 for a guy and now i see why you call it a spam can. I flew in a -4 and an a 8(after I fixed Don's cowling) and what a difference!!!!!!!!!! That 172 is like watching everything go in reverse. I could go mow my lawn with a push mower before it takes off. I'm getting the hang of take-offs and turns and I'm looking forward to scaring my instructor for landings!!!
John

Last edited:
Thanks Paul!

And I thought I was a "hero" letting my wife use my iPad in the airplane:D

Yes..yes...I "let" her help me with the build too....but giving her the airplane???

I guess I lost my iPad for good and you now lost "Jr."

Congrats Louise on the first flight and the acquisition of a new ride :D

... And, the -3B is cheaper to build and cheaper to fly! As it seems most RVs are flown solo the vast majority of the time, I have to wonder why the -3B isn’t the most popular model? ...

With the advent of the light sport category, and the possibility of the Class III medical requirement being lifted, it would seem a REALLY smart move for Van's to give some consideration to making the -3B kit more user friendly.

From the horror stories I've heard and read, building a -3B is NOT for the faint of heart. Obviously, only REAL RV-builders could ever actually assemble one. :D If they would re-tool the kit to current standards, with the match-hole technology and more pre-fab parts, I'd bet that the -3B's numbers would soar.

After a couple of years of flying Smokey, my lifelong pattern remains the same -- 95% of my flights are short and solo. My back seat is pretty much a waste of space. Were the kit not so daunting, I'd seriously consider selling Smokey and building a -3B in my pending semi-retirement.

Congrats, Louise, on your maiden voyage. Great report.

Louise Hose;612392[I said:
..snip....But, the -3 surpassed them both…..no contest!

....It seems to climb like our neighbor’s F-1 Rocket....

....As Paul had briefed, the plane does NOT want to slow down....

The -3 exceeded just about every aspect of our other RVs for pure fun, local flying. It climbed better and has extraordinary visibility. The controls are lighter, throttle response quicker, and both feel more precise than either of the two other planes. Without question, the -3’s cockpit design and comfort blows them both away. It is pure joy to fly!

So would you say the -3B compares to a -4, o-320 or io-360?

Using your car anaology is it porsche vs a ....?

I personally can see why the -3 is great but not being able to take anyone with me, ever is a real turn off.

If Vans were to make the -3 and the -4 with the modern plans and match drilled its like the newer models then I think that market would re-invent itself overnight.

Last edited:
Congrats Louise!!! Sounds like it was a pure blast!

Big grins reading your description of how it flies!

Big chuckles on the track-up thing! :D

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Bob

Hey Louise-

With great delight I read your report on your first JR flight! I know that when you get more comfortable, you'll probably want to fly JR more than Mickey!
So-----are you and Paul going to buid ANOTHER 3B---a his and hers, or getting his and hers keys made??!!!!
Congrats to you both on an outstanding job!
Tom

So would you say the -3B compares to a -4, o-320 or io-360?

I haven't piloted a -4 so I can't comment on performance differences. Having ridden in the back of one, however, I do think the -4 has slightly (and only slightly) better comfort for a passenger. ;)

Louise, sounds like it was oh so much more than great!

... only REAL RV-builders could ever actually assemble one. :D If they would re-tool the kit to current standards, with the match-hole technology and more pre-fab parts, I'd bet that the -3B's numbers would soar.

I have to concure. I've been interested in a -3 but can not fathom it as a first build.

Last edited:
Well.... guess we know what will be fought over in this marriage. :D

I've always said that if I could get a medical with some kind of certainty (or we get a DL-medical), I would be one of the first in line for a -3 or -4 matched hole kit. I've flown the -4 and loved it. Louise and Paul's experience with Junior just makes me think more about a -3....

Congrats, Louise, you've earned it!

TODR

It will be pretty interesting to hear how the 1 and 3 compare. That was the big leap for Van.

I was thinking the same thing- How the 1 would compare and if it was small improvements or a new world order.
Also in RV3 envy/Jelouse of Louise and Paul's new wings. Congrats!

Remember Van- "Designed the 3 for total performance...and it was all down hill from there" :D

Remember Van- "Designed the 3 for total performance...and it was all down hill from there" :D

My thoughts, exactly, after flying the -3. Compromises for passengers. Compromises for more baggage. Compromises for big guys. Compromises for IFR stability. Compromises for LSA. They are all great, but the -3 seems to most epitomize "Total Performance".

Congrats Louise on a great flight, and to both you and Paul on a well built machine...

Looks like I'll be getting few more RV-3 questions tomorrow morning though ;)

Question....

So, how many ladies have soloed a -3?

Only Louise or are there any more?

Regardless, Louise, you're now in a very small, elite community! Another Betty Skelton... :)

Best,

... And, the -3B is cheaper to build and cheaper to fly! As it seems most RVs are flown solo the vast majority of the time, I have to wonder why the -3B isn’t the most popular model? ...

With the advent of the light sport category, and the possibility of the Class III medical requirement being lifted, it would seem a REALLY smart move for Van's to give some consideration to making the -3B kit more user friendly.

From the horror stories I've heard and read, building a -3B is NOT for the faint of heart. Obviously, only REAL RV-builders could ever actually assemble one. :D If they would re-tool the kit to current standards, with the match-hole technology and more pre-fab parts, I'd bet that the -3B's numbers would soar.

After a couple of years of flying Smokey, my lifelong pattern remains the same -- 95% of my flights are short and solo. My back seat is pretty much a waste of space. Were the kit not so daunting, I'd seriously consider selling Smokey and building a -3B in my pending semi-retirement.

Congrats, Louise, on your maiden voyage. Great report.

Affirm, a more user friendly 3B with the latest tooling and plans and MUCH more would get sold. It is the perfect little 2nd airplane...I was briefly interested in the Onex, but put the idea on ice for a while...here is hoping what ever Vans is working on "Next" after the RV12 is that....

Goon On You!!!

Louise, Congratulations!. I am sure the RV3 is a hoot to fly.
How many hours in your fly off? 25? or 40?

Several years ago I ask Van if he would match hole the RV3? He said "sure" Just order 900 of them. ;) I guess the new improved kit is not forth comming. :eek: Vans only sells a few RV3 kits a year, and about 12 to 14 RV4 kits. Just not a lot of people that want a single place airplane.

Just for the record,,, I would like to have a RV3. IF, it was real, real, easy to build. And, I have that 0-340 stroker being built up,, it needs a project to go on. Also, I have a single digit N# reserved too,,, N6YH,,,, hummm?? :rolleyes:

Maybe someone from Van's could chime in here... What has been done at Van's to clean up the plans for the 3B? provide a better parts fit and finish? any refinements to come...? There is a market for the 3B, but you can't have the customers out there scared to order a kit. :)

Heck, forget matched hole or quickbuild... just pre-punch some skins and you've got a winner. :eek:

And I quote...

"OMG, I don't know why it isn't the most popular model"

Hmmm, I said that back in 1989...
:)
Smokey

Congrats! Sounds like a fun ride! Hoping you get it moved up this way soon and maybe I can beg a test flight eventually.

greg

RV-3 impressions

Thanks, Louise. I've been looking forward to your report. I knew you would love it.

Louise, I know the burden of owning 3 aircraft has got to be huge. My New Years resolution is to do something good for someone else. I would be glad to buy the 3 from you for a reasonable price just to help you out!!!!!

George

3slow build kit)B

I wonder if Van reads the post here? I know if they would just improve the plans a bit and pre punch some skins I would buy a 3B kit today. I looked at Pauls 3B quick build wings before they were put on the plane and they look alot like my 8 quick build wings. The 3B quick build wings are built from the 3B slow build wing kit. Could Van have the same people that build the 3B quick build wings (from the slow build kit) also build a quick build fuselage from the slow build fuselage kit? Just wondering or "Just Wishing"

I joined over at the Torp T-18 forum to see what's up with the previous generation of aluminum hot rods. Nice guys over there, but not many of them.
T-18s are all plans built, The newer S-18 comes as a kit.
I'm reading about the John Thorp 'Matched Hole' construction, and the Whitney Roper #5 Junior punch.
Now I'm not saying I understand it yet, but Matched Hole Construction is supposed to be a real time saver and result in accurate alignment and straight airframes.
I wonder if the RV-3 community should find a way to build RV-3s quicker, instead of expecting Van to do it?
Great going Louise. Ever since Randy Lervold got the RV-3 bug, I've been following you 'purists'. ;)

Everything is for sale, but......

Louise, I know the burden of owning 3 aircraft has got to be huge. My New Years resolution is to do something good for someone else. I would be glad to buy the 3 from you for a reasonable price just to help you out!!!!!

George

You are right that two civil servants managing three flying airplanes is a stretch that probably isn't sustainable. And, then, there will undoubtedly be another project in a couple of years. But, a reasonable price for Junior (the -3B) in my mind probably isn't reasonable in anyone else's. Paul probably feels the same way about the Valkyrie (-8), since he built it. However, I expect that our concept of a reasonable price for my beloved Mikey (the -6) might be reasonable to others. Mike Seager, you want your baby back? I can probably be talked out of it this summer and I can't think of a better home.

As for Jay's question about the length of our Phase 1, we will have 40 hours.

Several years ago I ask Van if he would match hole the RV3? He said "sure" Just order 900 of them. ;)

I think this is the definitive answer. To date, there are about 2 dozen or so people who've said they'd buy an updated 3.

All we need is about 875 more.... :D

Pre-Punch or Not?

The necessity of a pre-punched kit depends on your point of view. If all you've ever done is lay out rivet patterns and make parts from scratch or rough stampings, then it's all fun. Memorize Section 5 of Van's instructions and have at it. Just don't be in a hurry to fly it.

By the time Tony Boy 2.5 is done, he will have 2 new outboard wing leading edge structures (done, with skins from scratch), a new or reskinned wing tank, a new aileron with skin from scratch, new tail feathers (half done), new wing tips with hand-laid AeroLED Pulsar pads, new scratch-made emp fairing, new canopy with a scratch-made skirt, new instrument panel, and assorted FWF things. (and rebuilt aft fuselage, all done.) If I can do all that, so can you pre-punchers! I haven't done it all yet, but I've done enough jigging, skinning, fabrication, and glass work to know that I CAN do it. The resources on this forum are invaluable and provide much more than any new instruction manual from Van can provide. (Some corrected measurements on the plans would be nice though!)

My favorite answer from my A&P boyfriend/helper is, "I've never done THAT before! Figure it out!" ;)

The -3 is the best of them all. Louise's Pirep certainly supports that for sure.

Now try a little acro in junior. It is as nimble as they come.

Now try a little acro in junior. It is as nimble as they come.

Paul is doing all the "pushing the envelope " stuff and came back from some fairly extensive acro tests an hour ago. He seemed "pleased." Actually volunteered that it looped "much easier than the Val." I expect he will report soon. Me? I did a morning flight and discovered I still have a ways to go before I tame this thing! I'm continuing to shot 200' pass my target altitude before I realize it. If I tried a loop, I'd probably end up doing two of them before I re-gained level flight! :eek:

Last edited:
I wonder if the RV-3 community should find a way to build RV-3s quicker, instead of expecting Van to do it?

This.

The necessity of a pre-punched kit depends on your point of view. If all you've ever done is lay out rivet patterns and make parts from scratch or rough stampings, then it's all fun.

And this.

Scott and Katie each capture the right spirit of the thing for me. Those who are lobbying for a pre-punched kit want to have a -3, but for me, a large part of the romance of the existing kit is how you must build a -3.

These early reports of Junior's nimbleness are just the icing after Paul's and Louise's long history of excellent reports of their build. Reading those first, and then following up with Randy's and Rob's build sites, makes me think of DR and Katie and Anthony and the others now building -3's as our real pioneers--keeping alive some of the history of scratch-building. They're like civil-war battle reenactment buffs.

I'm glad for the modern, pre-punched kits, too. They are the reason a slouch like me has any hope of building my first airplane. But I'm even more glad there are the few, the proud, who do it "old school" and then report what's possible.

--
Stephen

Since You Asked...

I don't want to steal Louise's thread, but here's a quick report on my first real Acro session in the airplane:

Fantastic, Wonderful, Delightful, Amazing, Fast, Quick, Precise....what did I miss?:D

This was an envelope expansion test, the first time out of the box for any significant acro. Before the Acro, I did some power-off, full-stalls to check the signatures and repeatability of IAS at the break. Four clean, four dirty - each configuration stalled the same each time (55 knots clean, 50 dirty). It fell off in whichever direction my toe was resting on the pedal - no preference for going one way or the other.

For acro, I kept things simple - started with Commercial maneuvers (chandelles, lazy eights), did some wing-overs to see how coordinated and precise they could be flown, then went on to basic rolls (aileron and barrel), loops, Immelman's, Half-rolls on an up-line pulled down to a 45 (sort of an inverted parabolic maneuver). Everything was light and precise - no tendency for overshoot - it goes exactly where you tell it. Half-deflection roll rates are about 2.5 seconds for 360 degrees ("one-potato, two-potato, three...."). I'll have to check the G3X data files to be sure. Loops from level flight put about 3 G's on the meter, with about 65% power on the EFIS.

Yup - I think I'm likin' it better and better....

Last edited:
Economics

The answer for Vans is simple.

No pre-punched anything, CAD Plans, correct dimensions, updated elements in build instruction through the plans.

Then charge a higher price for the "New" kit.

Charge the price of the -8 kit for the -3 and that will fix a lot of economic issues.

I don't think anyone who wants the 3 will argue with that. Considering its either pay $15k more or not have the plane at all.

It would certainly sort out the talkers from the buyers.

Back