What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Floor Pan Riveting

Freightdawg

Well Known Member
Just finished blind riveting the floor of the rear floor pans (after much cussing and sweating to wrestle them into place). We were about to get into riveting the side and rear flanges with 4-4s (per the plans) when I noticed the front floor pans were riveted to the tunnel with blind rivets.

Is there any reason the rear pan rivets need to be bucked vs pulled?

Thanks.

Jeff

Just finished blind riveting the floor of the rear floor pans (after much cussing and sweating to wrestle them into place). We were about to get into riveting the side and rear flanges with 4-4s (per the plans) when I noticed the front floor pans were riveted to the tunnel with blind rivets.

Is there any reason the rear pan rivets need to be bucked vs pulled?

Thanks.

Jeff

The factory has the real answer, but my answer would be "no". There is little, if any, difference in that application.

If you ever have to get the floor pans out again, blind rivets would be quite a bit easier to remove in that location...

Just got off the phone with the Mother Ship. Pulled is fine. The explanation I got was they try to use solid rivets wherever possible because they're lighter and less expensive.

Of course, if that's the case, then why were blind rivets used to attach the flange of the front floor pan to the tunnel?

That call just saved me a ton of sweat and cuss words I'm sure can be better utilized elsewhere.

Back