What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WTB- RV-7A, Ferrari version, Not the Cadillac!

Hartstoc

Well Known Member
FOUND my Ferrari! On 777 as I write this SFO-BOS, looking forward to the 3,000+ mile retreival flight. Was not exactly what I expected. FP Sensenich, which will soon be ome CS composite, carb soon to be injection, but an an exquisetely slow-built airframe that is the work of a career helicopter A&P, sadly deseased. Color me one happy camper.

I'm still looking for a flying RV-7A resembling the one I would build if I had the time. Max $135K cash would need to be very low time and hit on all wishlist points- so less for any compromises, upgrades or mods required. If you need to sell a 7A that seems to fit what I'm looking for, please contact me. I'm willing to travel.

My wish list ranked by importance:
1- WEIGHT: Building within Van's weight target requires incredible discipline at every step. I know the airplane I want may exceed the heavy end of Van's recommended range by a bit, but I'd really like to end up near 1150#. Comfy seats ok, but other embellishments, upholstery, padding, excessive primers or interior paint, etc. generally count as negatives for me. Well-done ext. paint but as light-weight as humanly possible works for me. A signed-off but not yet painted recent build would be a HUGE plus. Will need to know accurate empty weight as-equipped.

2- Power: Fuel injection a must, even if I have to convert, cold-air induction a plus, at least 180HP, CS Prop(preferably composit). I would consider a light, well-built FP that could be converted to CS

3- Quality/Equipment: Well-fitted tilt-up a big plus. Fast-build a plus but slow ok if very well done. LED exterior lighting, electric trim and flaps OK. Easily removable pax side stick. Low-time low-age a plus as well. Purchase direct from builder a definite plus.

4- The Panel- I'm actually willing to upgrade or even replace the panel, but that would hit the price pretty hard. I'm looking to end up with Airspeed indicator steamer and up-to-date or easily upgradable glass, GRT or Dynon, easily integrated with ADSB in-out, auto-pilot, etc. Bare space on Pax side of panel a big plus.

Your labor of love will be deeply appreciated and will be cared for by an experienced pilot and seasoned mechanic and will live in my nice dry hangar at KSTS.

Last edited:
Just a data point, all the stuff on your wish list is going to add weight, it is hard to have all those things and be light, the one I built has 200 HP CS full Dynon, seat cushions and paint....1173 LBS. what is your goal with the weight concern, payload, speed, flickability?

Just a data point, all the stuff on your wish list is going to add weight, it is hard to have all those things and be light, the one I built has 200 HP CS full Dynon, seat cushions and paint....1173 LBS. what is your goal with the weight concern, payload, speed, flickability?

Otis has already discussed in great depth his reasoning on low weight. See the following threads:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=153455

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=153008

Thanks Bret- yes , I'm well aware of the trade-offs, and I'd regard your aircraft as a success story. What I'm looking for, carefully built, should come in under 1150#. It would outperform a fixed pitch 180 HP in several metrics, but at the cost of some nimbleness and useful load. Vans wants to see a finished weight range, including your configuration, between 1070-1130#! Very difficult to achieve real-world, but builders should at least try very hard to comply.

I've rejected three candidates that ended up between 1214# and 1278#(!), and a pervasively lax attitude toward weight prompted me to start the two threads Sam listed(Thank you Sam!). One is on the importance of updating the W&B after paint and other mods, and the other on the benefits of striving to build light regardless of what equipment you choose to include. You will see that I took some serious flack from a few builders in that second one-

Every time I see the title of this thread appear in my feed I replace the name “Ferrari” with “Lotus” in my head.

Collin Chapman’s whole ethos was “Simplify. Then add lightness”

I’m far too pandemic :/

2rbze4j.jpg

Last edited:
heaven on earth (well just above it really)

Sorry to be a pain. :D:D Not really but it may encourage you.

What you are looking for is very like my present mount. :)

When I last flew my 6 I thought why am I selling this? But every time I sit at the end of the runway and unleash the angle valve up front driving the 3 blade composite prop I get a reminder.

The 6 had carpets, leather seats etc etc etc. The end result was it was about 50Lbs heavier than the 7. With 40 horses less and the FP prop there is quite a difference in performance.

The one thing I don't have that you are looking for is space on the panel. The right hand seat has an AFS EFIS in front of it. I can live with that. :D:D

Persevere they are out there. When you find yours hope its as good for you as mine is for me.

Edit to add.
Just thought I should have mentioned the weight. She is currently 1095Lbs. But I am hoping to loose a few LBs. Its not everyone's taste but I am replacing the back up steam gauges with a Garmin G5 at the same time as replacing an old AFS 3500 in front of the pilot with a new AF5500. It would be great to get down to 1090 Lbs. But I tend to fly with just enough fuel for the flight plus 45 mins of reserve to keep weight down.

Last edited:
Lotus lightness

Every time I see the title of this thread appear in my feed I replace the name “Ferrari” with “Lotus” in my head.

Collin Chapman’s whole ethos was “Simply. Then add lightness”

I had the pleasure of driving a 1998 Lotus Elise in a rally last Saturday. Weighing less than 1600 pounds due to an aluminum frame, fiberglass body, and the lack of such things as a radio, sun visors, floor mats, etc., the car displayed the continuation of Colin Chapman’s passion for lightness.

The recent threads by Otis and the experience of driving the Lotus have influenced some of the decisions I’m making for completion of my RV-7.

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of driving a 1998 Lotus Elise in a rally last Saturday. Weighing less than 1600 pounds due to an aluminum frame, fiberglass body, and the lack of such things as a radio, sun visors, floor mats, etc., the car displayed the continuation of Colin Chapman?s passion for lightness.

The recent threads by Otis and the experience of driving the Lotus have influenced some of the decisions I?m making for completion of my RV-7.

Congratulations!

Otis,

I don't believe the options you want are difficult to achieve. I wasn't overly picky during my build and could easily drop a few lbs here and there (and will eventually) with some additional "lightness."

My setup (many options listed in my signature):

O360-A4M (solid crank) [planning to install Superior Cold Air Sump, which saves 3 lbs]
AFP FM150 fuel injection
Catto 3 Bld NLE (very smooth)
1 P-Mag, 1 Slick-non impulse
PC680 on the firewall (per plans)
Anti-Splat Nose Job 2 and nose wheel bearing upgrade
Saber 20 lb plate in front of prop (for CG, which is great)
Elect flaps/trim
Dynon SV1000T x2 w/dual bkup batteries, intercom, radio, AP panel and button panel, ADS-B in/out
Mostly fuses with a few select CBs on the panel
FlightLine Interior leather seats, carpet and elbow cushions
Grove wheels/brakes
Duckworks 55w landing lights (soon to be replaced with LEDs)
AeroLED Nav/Strobes/Tail
Dynon Heated Pitot/AOA

Current empty weight is 1105 lbs (no paint)

An EarthX battery would save another ~10 lbs but, IMO, needs some additional OV protection. I installed the 20 lb prop plate (vs 14) to allow for weight loss like this and still have a good CG range.

"...far too pandemic," are we? Perhaps catachrestic in this case, as I think you might have meant "pedantic." Love me some malaprop.

==dave==
N102FM

Otis,

I don't believe the options you want are difficult to achieve. I wasn't overly picky during my build and could easily drop a few lbs here and there (and will eventually) with some additional "lightness."

My setup (many options listed in my signature):

O360-A4M (solid crank) [planning to install Superior Cold Air Sump, which saves 3 lbs]
AFP FM150 fuel injection
Catto 3 Bld NLE (very smooth)
1 P-Mag, 1 Slick-non impulse
PC680 on the firewall (per plans)
Anti-Splat Nose Job 2 and nose wheel bearing upgrade
Saber 20 lb plate in front of prop (for CG, which is great)
Elect flaps/trim
Dynon SV1000T x2 w/dual bkup batteries, intercom, radio, AP panel and button panel, ADS-B in/out
Mostly fuses with a few select CBs on the panel
FlightLine Interior leather seats, carpet and elbow cushions
Grove wheels/brakes
Duckworks 55w landing lights (soon to be replaced with LEDs)
AeroLED Nav/Strobes/Tail
Dynon Heated Pitot/AOA

Current empty weight is 1105 lbs (no paint)

An EarthX battery would save another ~10 lbs but, IMO, needs some additional OV protection. I installed the 20 lb prop plate (vs 14) to allow for weight loss like this and still have a good CG range.

Yes, thank you, I'm well aware of this, I'm not shooting for the moon here!

That would be an RV-7, not a -7A! :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist! I was sure someone would beat me to it.)

Ouch!, but I guess true in the strictest sense. On the other hand, there are quite a few 7Cadillacs out there too!

Back