What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco/Cleveland Wheels & Brakes?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Looking at placing the tubes and tires on the wheels and noticed that the plans say that the plane is designed for Cleveland wheels and brakes but my kit has Matco wheels and brakes. Any idea why the plans call our Cleveland and my kit has Matco?

RV7

Thanks

Brakes

Not sure why the change....cost probably. My 1990 RV4 had the Clevelands. My 2010 RV7 kit came with Matco brakes as well. Seem to be well made and everything fit great. Just started flying it last July and all ok after 90 hrs so far.
Al

Cost

I asked Vans about this a few years ago too. The response was Cleveland was the original brake package in the kit. Due to cost increases and not waivering even for Vans, they chose to use Matco for kit pricing and customer savings.

Matco brakes

Here?s a plus for the Matco brakes: you don?t have to remove one of the brake pucks like the plans call for on the Cleveland brakes. Braking on both sides of the disk like it should be. 2+ years on mine, work great. They also have a brake puck exchange program for when you have to replace them. This way you always have a spare set available.

Back