Data point, reduced APRS reporting
I won't bore you with the problems I have had with my internet provider.
I have noticed, when I am connected to the internet, that the number of hits has been going down over time.
Today, I decided to (don't laugh), clean up the copper on my antenna with a Scotchbrite pad and I also checked and cleaned all the connection along the path to my receiver.
Already I am seeing increased data and significantly higher readings on the telemetry shown on the APRS.fi site.
I just thought I would share that a bit of maintenance is worth the time.
Another data-point to help others not make this mistake.
I recently installed a Netgear extender at the cabin. I have been noticing that my feeds to APRS have gone down dramatically even though I had seen an increase since the cleaning in my previous post.
This was confusing and after going through my "system", I had one of those "ah-ha" moments and remembered another change had taken place........the extender. The OLPC computer showed a very strong connection to the extender, yet my connection was not producing as it once had. I connected the OLPC to the router, not the extender, and immediate change was seen.
I am not able to understand the why or how, but I do know the extender made a big, negative difference. Apparently the strong signal was not the real effect. The extender does work for other devices, but for some reason it had a very negative effect on APRS reporting.
Just another data point.
Just to confirm the previous post, the APRS reporting over the 12 hours since connecting by wifi to my router as opposed to the Netgear router extender has been greater than the previous 5 days. Big difference.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:45 AM.|