What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel shimmy

DJS

I'm New Here
I have developed a nose wheel shimmy on landing rollout on my 600 hour rv10. Known issues? Suggestions for cause and fix? Thanks, Dave

Yep - most of us have been there.

What I do:
- Get the replacement nose wheel axle and adjust the wheel bearing compression just like you do on the main gear. http://www.matcomfg.com/axleassemblya24125inch-idv-3657-1.html
- Keep all tire pressures about 40 pounds.
- Balance all tires.

The point on doing all three tires is I found that a main gear bad or out of balance tire will cause nose wheel shimmy by itself.

If you are still on the orginal tires after 600 hours, recommend replacing them.

Carl

Shimmy

26# at the axle centerline for the breakout force.. doing my annual now - just tightened mine..

Anti Splat Bearing Fix

I have developed a nose wheel shimmy on landing rollout on my 600 hour rv10. Known issues? Suggestions for cause and fix? Thanks, Dave
Send your nose wheel off to Allen @ Anti Splat, and let them put in their sealed bearing, balance the rim and true the tire and your problem will magically disappear. That is unless something is bent or broken. And if you get the bent or broken part fixed...put a new tire on the nose wheel rim and send it off to them to do the above. Worked perfectly on all three ties for my 9A and on the nose wheel for my 10.

Make sure it is the nose wheel and not the mains.

The mains are known to shake around 25 mph when landing and people have said they have a nose wheel shimmy when a camera or the right shadow shows it is a main wheel.

When I first had a shimmy I thought it was my front wheel but a GoPro showed it was always the mains. The front never shook.

If it is the front, like others have said make sure the break out force is correct. You could even go one hole tighter and check it. Mine was a few pounds over the spec but loosens over time.

Last edited:
Pardon me for being obtuse, but how did you "modify" the nut?

-Marc

You make another notch between two existing ones. You only need one as there is no need for the cotter pin to reach both sides of the gear tube. Locking one side is enough. Hope this help.

Michel

What Scott said.........

I chased a nose wheel shimmy for a long time, until the right main shed its wheel pant.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=114693&highlight=shimmy

Make sure it is the nose wheel and not the mains.

The mains are known to shake around 25 mph when landing and people have said they have a nose wheel shimmy when a camera or the right shadow shows it is a main wheel.

When I first had a shimmy I thought it was my front wheel but a GoPro showed it was always the mains. The front never shook.

If it is the front, like others have said make sure the break out force is correct. You could even go one hole tighter and check it. Mine was a few pounds over the spec but loosens over time.

Back