What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Subpanel impact of Garmin 430 RV-7 Tip Up

sglynn

Well Known Member
Please could those who have installed a Garmin 430 tell me about the impact on the subpanel? I have my panel with Garmin 430 on it and see I need a cutout hole in the subpanel, but the cut out needs to be where the wide doubler is that is part of the hinge mechanism for the tip up canopy. See red box on the photo. The red ink shows the space I need to remove for the Garmin. I can't move the garmin to the right. Comments appreciated on cutting this hole and reinforcing as necessary. thanks

Public

Hmm, first time posting a photo. Did it work? [ed. Nope. Maybe you need to set the folder it's in to 'everyone can view'. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
I trimmed it

Hi Steve,

I have a Garmin 400W in my stack so I faced the same delimma as you. As you probably know the sup-panel does not go as low as the main panel so that limits how far down the stack can sit. I tried to hit a happy medium between too low and trimming an excessive amount at the top. I believe it was around an inch of the doubler but I'm not at the aircraft to check.

Here is a link to my build log where I documented avionics. If you scroll down to 02-05-2016 there are two images that show my sub-panel cut-out. Sorry there aren't any specific measurements.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/category.php?user=sdahrens&project=248&category=9948

I hope that helps.

Back