What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jackpoints Wheel Pants Interference

wfinnell

Well Known Member
I purchased a set of Jackpoints and I like them very much. I really want to make them work. I?m guessing I?m not the first to have this problem, so I wanted to know what others have done.

I am installing the jackpoints on Van?s stock gear legs. Without the jackpoints the wheel pants are very close to the inside of the axle bolts. As a matter of fact, the lower bolts have to be inserted with the heads (0.175? tall) inboard to clear the pants. The jackpoint is approximately 0.7? thick. When I put the wheel pants on, I have to spread them out to get them over the jackpoint.

When I put the wheel pants screws in, the fiberglass is in firm contact with the jackpoint. The wheel pant is slightly distorted but seems to go together okay.

Should I just leave it as is, add a blister, reform the wheel pants bracket?

Thanks in advance,

Same issue

Installed the jack points yesterday and I have the same issue. Let me know if you find a work around.

Rob

Due to bigger tires I moved my wheel pants up a bit. They touched one bolt on the brake caliper and developed a slight crack. I then added a blister to clear the bolt.
So yes, I recommend a blister to avoid work on the wheel pants at a later time.

RV 8 Jackpoint interference

I've heard the words and we have been working hard to come up with a fix for the wheel pant interfearance.
What we are finding is some builders when installing wheel pants make their fit by bending the aft mount instead of keeping with the VANs prints and squaring the wheel pants with your tires. If done the correct way you'd be doing a slight rebend of the outbd axel mount bracket and adding some glass buildup to your inbd Whel pant to meet the inbd mount bracket . That way you would not have the brake caliper interference to the inbd wheel pant either.
That being said it is what it is and we all build our RVs a bit differently.
We came up with a mod to the mount bracket (RV8s only)that moves it up to the center of your top axel mount bolts. Your only now picking up the two top bolts to mount your bracket.
Clearance in some cases are still close but this does locate the mount bracket at the widest point of your inbd wheel pants. The test RV I used for this still required a washer bonded to the aft wheelpant mounting ( on the wheelpant it's self but cleared great after that, he also had a rubbing brake caliper bolt).
We are running about 50-50 on the fit issue. You can make this mod yourself or just send back your mounts and we will trim and relocate the mount holes. This mod has been tested and is strong and safe. Email me for pics or any other info
Boy!!! Talk about growing pains uh???

Back