What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Petit Jean Mountain 2013 RV Fly-In Camp-In Lodge-In is .... ON Again!!

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
<<<< UPDATE from the ramp 12 hours out! Well, we just got back from MPJ and I can only say it was drop dead gorgeous! Sun going down, grass freshly mowed, the smell of cut wood, and four deer crossing about the 1500 mark! EAA 165 worked it hard today and we can report the campground is in great shape.

I think the lodge is full again but we can easily handle a couple more in the campground with no trouble. The tent's are set, the firewood is stacked, the hot water is on, the cold drinks are ..... getting cold !

Parking conditions are better than any year past and the grass areas are really nice! NO problem at all. WX should be mid 60's and the trails are all open.

Parking crew will be there 9:30 to 10:00 and ready to go! Saturday should be a great day for Day Trippers!

We can't promise anything but a good time... see'ya there! :--) >>

<< Update: 10/24/13 It's Tomorrow .... we're pretty'ing it up today. Conference Center said they had 2 rooms now available yesterday afternoon. You might want to call and check! It's going to be a great weekend to go somewhere and the RV Gathering might be the place you want to be! About 70 of your friends seem to think so :) >>

<< Update: 10/21/13 We're 3 days out and we can't hardly stand it !! It's really exciting for us to see this much interest! Based on lots of email and virtually no cancellations, it's promising to be a very special RV Gathering kinda weekend. WX should be mid-60's in the afternoon and perfect hiking weather. If you're registered, you should have received an email update earlier this evening. (about 2 minutes ago :) We've committed to a full house and have ordered all meals based on your registrations. Please let us know by email if you need to cancel later this week! We can handle it but we just need to know. It's going to be BIG FUN! See'ya Friday. Thanks Bill >>

<< Update: 10/17/13 We're 7 Days out - The Weather is looking very promising! Two rooms at the Conference Center opened on cancels this afternoon. Get'um while you can and please cancel rooms and email if your plans change... Thanks Bill >>

We?re getting closer ;) 60 days out and looking for a great RV gathering. October 25, 26, and 27. We?re expecting 50 + RVs just like last year. About 100 RVators with about a ? of the group being couples. This is a great venue to bring your spouse and have easy options for great camping or great lodging! Bring a buddy or buddette  and if they have an RV all the better!! We already have a dozen rooms reserved and it's an all RV campground! The intent is always the same ?. No commercials ?. No fuss ? No hassle ? Make it easy on everyone ?.. have a great RV weekend :) Nothing else!!

If you have never made this fly-in take a look at the links below. It's a great flying, story'fying, camping, hiking, lodging, RV social event! If you were there last year I don?t need to go into great detail except to say that if you thought the food was good last year, you?re gonna love our new menu! If you thought the RV group was big fun .... Oh! You really were there :--)

The evening dinners will be more spread out and allow for more sharing, caring, story?fying, visiting, and just plain old hanging out with new friends becoming old friends! We?re having the evening meals catered this year so our volunteers can hang out too! You?ll like the way it works out!

And I promise ?. Whatever version of RV Bingo gets played?. We?ll count tail numbers from the front...for those of us who can?t remember our tail numbers backwards !!

Same deal on transport to the trails and lodges and wherever else you might want to go ?. We?ll be running fixed continuous routes and would love some volunteer drivers.

PS. There is no truth to the rumor that we are giving away a free Lycoming engine and a Tru-Trak something or other  This is a high fun but low budget ??.actually a no budget happening!

Please Please Register: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PetitJean2013Registration we really need to have a good idea on a head count and an email address for updates and notices. Cancel anytime but please register early! You will need to make your own room reservations. We'll pick up the campground reservation from your registration.

Full Fly-In Information Package: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/6469022/petit-jean-rv-fly-in-2013-v1-7-19-2013-pdf-3-3-meg?da=y
Give it about 30 seconds to download.... it's a big PDF

Photos from 2012
: http://www.keepandshare.com/photo/441152/petit-jean-rv-fly-in-2012?fv=y&ifr=&vo=lt

Planes with Names Pictures
: http://www.keepandshare.com/photo/441412/planes-with-names-petit-jean-2012?fv=y&ifr=&vo=lt

REMEMBER, plenty of camping but all rooms are at the Rockefeller Conference Center? NOT Mather Lodge. Mather is fine but we have no scheduled transportation to Mather. Call (501) 727-5435 and give them the group number #52110 for the right rates. Looks like $84 for the Presidents Lodge! Sweeeet! Oct 25, 26, and 27!

Petit Jean State Park Brochures Info : http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/things_to_do/visitor_center_gift_shops.aspx#brochures

Trails, maps, and more : http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/things_to_do/trails_overlooks.aspx

Holler at me if you need any help or information ?.. Maybe see some of you at Triple Tree next week! Look for another reminder about 30/10/4 days out as the weather firms up!

All worker bee's courtesy of EAA Chapter 165 North Little Rock, EAA Chapter 1398 Hot Springs, and all of you attendees who pitched in last year ! Thanks again for all your help!

Great parking and we even got them lined up right !

dsc_0661-14834311.jpg

This is when we're roughing it ....

dsc_0816-73017423.jpg

This is when we're NOT roughing it ! ( at the Conference Center )

sat_breakfast_at_the_conference_center-24875754.jpg

Dang! Camping in Arkansas is rooouugghhh ......

img_2013_08_27_201038_01-91215923.jpg

Sunrise in the camping area! What a way to start the day ....

dsc_0557-62185795.jpg

We're a safety conscious group .... but we really don't dress very well !

dsc_0801-40931339.jpg

Oh YEAH .... we're having a good time now !!

dsc_0549-97924249.jpg

OK, ya'll .... gas the plane, pack a bag, and get on down here .... ya'hear!

dsc_0515-15881774.jpg

As it gets closer, how about post here and let your buddies know you're coming. It's gonna be a large time!

Last edited:
Oops

MPJ. Thanks.

We have a reservation at the lodge for Saturday night. The event registration is submitted too. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Reservations made

Reservations made and looking forward to it. We have to fly out to a plane/pilot oriented fundraiser on Saturday morning but we'll be back. Anyone interested in visiting some NW Arkansas airports for a good cause come along. http://www.take-off-for-kids.com is the site where you can get info.

Registration Update

Folks ... if the weather holds, this RV gathering promises to be a large good time :D. I'm not going to guess what the final count will be but we may have to slow up on the registrations if we get too many more. We are prepped to handle extra aircraft with parking spotters and a full time Air Boss for advisories but there is a finite limit on parking space.

Please let us know if you have registered and need to cancel so we can loosen up rooms! On the flip side .... if you are coming please be sure you have registered. We absolutely can handle what we know about! Remember, it's all hauled in and we're still technically camping :rolleyes:

Everyone preregistered should have received an email update sometime in the last 24 hours. If you didn't please PM me.

A Fun Fact is that 46 the registered aircraft are bringing spouses or girlfriends .... the girls will have a lot of fun. Trails are nice and the accommodations are first class. Plenty of shade and new friends!

This year we will be trying our best to shoot pictures of every arrival and you will be able to order this tee shirt or golf shirt with your airplane where the yellow RV 4 is sitting .... Oh the magic of photoshop :)

img_2013_10_11_185616_01-89271065.jpg

Also for those interested, here is a chart showing the registered aircraft by type .... we still need an RV 3 ! HELP us fill out the list ... special prize :rolleyes: for the person getting another RV buddy to bring a 3 !

img_2013_10_11_190042_01-62660941.jpg

That's all folks ..... glad you're all coming, we're praying for sunshine :)

Bill

Last edited:
By popular request I'll be bringing my prop balancing equipment if you feel like doing that as an extra curricular activity instead of hiking :D

By popular request I'll be bringing my prop balancing equipment if you feel like doing that as an extra curricular activity instead of hiking :D

I might want to take you up on the offer too. This new composite prop is so much smoother than the old A-D wood prop was, that I'm kinda curious to see what it measures in an out-of-the-box install.

In case it needs any weights added, my flywheel is equipped with a Landoll inertia ring with the bolt holes already occupied... so I guess I should bring a handful of assorted longer AN-4 bolts, locknuts and washers.

I might want to take you up on the offer too. This new composite prop is so much smoother than the old A-D wood prop was, that I'm kinda curious to see what it measures in an out-of-the-box install.

In case it needs any weights added, my flywheel is equipped with a Landoll inertia ring with the bolt holes already occupied... so I guess I should bring a handful of assorted longer AN-4 bolts, locknuts and washers.

Yea done a few with the landoll ring and they take that extra long bolt (I think around a -30). I have an assortment of extra long bolts at the shop but don't normally carry them in the balance kit. If you tell what length you currently have installed I can bring one or 2 size longer.

Last edited:
I will not have anything with me (RV-12, not a lot of extra parts left over!) unless you tell me what to bring for prop balancing. Got a few bolts and washers but have never seen a prop balanced.

I will not have anything with me (RV-12, not a lot of extra parts left over!) unless you tell me what to bring for prop balancing. Got a few bolts and washers but have never seen a prop balanced.

I have everything required for the RV12 and most every other "standard" RV with few exceptions.

Maybe next year!

It's a rather long flight from Tucson. Maybe next year when we'll be in Shell Knob, MO.

Looking good!

The weather putter outer man is saying lows of 50 and highs 67-69, calm and DRY! :) Perfect camping, hiking, and hanging out weather. I checked with the Conference Center late this afternoon and they said they had two rooms open up on cancellations. Might still have them in the morning.

Looks like the RV8 is winning the registered body count but the 7a is right behind followed by the 6a. Probably because of that draggy nosewheel ;)

HELP! WE STILL NEED AN RV3 to make it a full house! There is a prize for the RVx that brings a RV3 in tow :D

img_2013_10_18_192629_01-54609819.jpg

Look for an update email on Monday or Tuesday! Thanks for registering, it sure makes getting a good meal count easier!

See ya'there !

Yeah - but Bill - even if you find a -3, you need to get Jerry Fisher to bring his -1..... ;-)

Ok...welll...I think we got a 3 on the way but ...

Darn, we never thought about snagging a -1. :rolleyes: BUT I do think we have a -3 on the way :) .... now how do we get Jerry to come ??

It's finally getting here ....

Three days out and no RV3 yet :( Come on guys and girls... we have a full house (60+ RVs) but there's room in the garage for just one little RV3 to sneak in. We even have tail dragging RV9's but still short a 3. BIG BIG prize to whoever brings a buddy flying a 3 pocket rocket and fills out the chart.

If you are registered, you should have received a direct email update earlier this evening. If you didn't receive one, please PM me and I'll get it to you.

See'ya Friday! :)

Just a quick room update ....

I understand from the Rockefeller Conference Center that we had 2 rooms open up and were available for a while this afternoon. Not sure if they are still available but you might give them a call. Looks like the WX is going to cooperate and we have a great weekend to look forward to.

Good news is that we think we have filled out the dance card and will have one of every popular RV on the field from the 3 to the 12 including a RV9TD. The bad news :rolleyes: is those darn narrow body RV8s are still leading the charge in most numbers with 17, followed by the 7a about 2 back. Now we need a couple three more 7A's (A = Advanced Military Gear) but the 6A's aren't far behind.

See'ya there .... :)

bug repellant

Hypothetically speaking, what might be a good, somewhat affordable, single malt scotch to help keep the bugs away around the camp fire? There were several really good ones, helping to keep the bugs away :D, circulating around the fire last year.

Hypothetically speaking, what might be a good, somewhat affordable, single malt scotch to help keep the bugs away around the camp fire? There were several really good ones, helping to keep the bugs away :D, circulating around the fire last year.

Islay Malts: (smoky, heavy peated)
Laphroaig (10 yr Cask Strength, Quarter Cask, 18 yr)
Ardbeg (Uigeadail my favorite)
Caol Ila 12

Highland or Speyside Malts:
Oban 14
Cragganmore 12
Balvenie Doublewood 12
Aberlour 16

Island (other), lightly peated:
Highland Park 12
Talisker 10
Isle of Jura 10 "Origin"

I'll be bringing a bottle of Bourbon instead of Scotch... Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve 9yr 120 proof :D

Last edited:
There were several really good ones, helping to keep the bugs away :D, circulating around the fire last year.

I think that was the refried beans.

Speaking of gas....Pine Bluff is listing 100LL at $4.75 self serve on AirNav.

POSTSCRIPT: I called to confirm the $4.75 price (it's accurate), and if you stop on Saturday, it will be $4.65

Last edited:
KTKX - Kennett, MO $4.71

I'm planning to be wheels up at 0900 Fri. morning and arrive at 1115. Staying at the Lodge Friday night and leaving by 1700 Sat. afternoon.

Scotch

I'll see if I can round up a few bottles for protection. Madi and I are planning wheels up by around 0900 or 1000.

See you all tomorrow!

I've got to work for a few hours tomorrow morning, but should be heading to the airport right about lunchtime, hope to be wheels up by 12:30pm which should put me at KMPJ somewhere around 2:45pm.

On the Ramp !!

Well, we just got back from MPJ and I can only say it was drop dead gorgeous! Sun going down, grass freshly mowed, the smell of cut wood, and four deer crossing about the 1500 mark! EAA 165 worked it hard today and we can report the campground is in great shape.

I think the lodge is full again but we can easily handle a couple more in the campground with no trouble. The tent's are set, the firewood is stacked, the hot water is on, the cold drinks are ..... getting cold ;)

Parking conditions are better than any year past and the grass areas are really nice! NO problem at all. WX should be mid 60's and the trails are all open. We were told Cedar Falls had water running but that could be a rumor because we didn't hike it to see!

Parking crew will be there 9:30 to 10:00 and ready to go!

We can't promise anything but a good time... see'ya there!:)

What a gathering :)

All attendees please jump in :) and please let us know you made it home safely!

We'll post a full report as soon as we get enough energy to write it up. Bobby posted some great pictures in the earlier post

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=105857 and that only starts to cover it...:) Friday and Saturday were picture perfect but we did get some weather this morning (Sunday) that was problematic depending on your destination. We had folks coming from 600 miles in all directions so a little of that has to be expected. All in all, it was a hoot! Not sure exactly when this shot was taken but there are 61 RVs on the ramp and two flying.

img_2013_10_27_185112_02-74187571.jpg

It's hard to explain just how much fun and how friendly this bunch is. I am sure that anyone who showed up knowing no one, ended up knowing a whole group of new RV buddies. It was fun around the dinner tables Friday with 12 round tops seating 10 each and never a dull moment. From the Football Toss in the Bar to the Formation Presentation which turned into Tail Number Bingo and then old time Rock and Roll with Randy Mason, there wasn't a minute that wasn't all about friends and having fun. On Saturday night, there was so much noise coming from around the campground fires, it sounded like a 5X oversize RV Tailgate ! After the BBQ at the campground, the Lodgers picked up again at the Presidents Lodge. The laughter and talk got loud but not rowdy.... except for that crew on the karoke machine... I'm not speaking for them :D

So, long story short, here are some bullets:

• There were 54 RVs on the ramp Friday night, plus four other "big wheels" :)
  • We had a total of 102 airplanes come through with 83 RVs in attendance.
  • Their were 58 rooms booked at the Conference Center and we had 22 tents in the campground Saturday night!
  • There were RV Petit Jean'ers from 17 states! AL, AR, CO, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, IO, KY, LA, MI, MS, OK, SC,TN, and last but most out of state folks from TX !
  • The darn "narrow body" RV8s managed to hold the type lead with 20+ followed closely by 7a's, and then 6a's ..... one RV3 on Saturday filled out every available make and model including a RV9 TD (that's you Buz)
  • We had several really nice formation flights to entertain the crowd and lots of loud and fast "missed approaches" ;)
  • We served 121 at the Rockefeller Stockyard on Friday night with a great video presentation on the Kansas City 49 ship flight. We had video from startup to finish and from inside the actual formation flight. Courtesy of Randall Warren, special thanks to Randall.
  • 170 folks joined us on the ramp for lunch Saturday while we watched several more really nice formation flights by the MidSouthRV and Falcon Flight members.
  • Saturday dinner was in the woods at the campground with full BBQ, Ribs, and fixings for 127. I think everyone thought they were pretty tasty!
  • After dinner Saturday, the campground was going strong with roaring ( and I mean roaring) fires, that were apparently fueled with "non-visible" 100LL ;) We started Friday with a full truckload of firewood from Don Moore EAA Hot Springs and there wasn't a stick left this morning ::)
  • It rained Sunday morning and ceilings were a little low. All but three were able to get out by mid-day and we hope everyone is at home by now!
  • We had more volunteers from the participants than we could coordinate. Thanks so much for all your help! Next year, we'll have a better plan but thanks again for all your help!

We'll post pictures later this week but please post your own. We didn't get to shoot as much as we would have liked so we hope you did!

All in all, the PJ RV Gathering was everything we could have wanted it to be and maybe a little more. If you had a good time, met a new friend, found an old friend, or just enjoyed an "easy" fly-in with your spouse or buddy... then it's mission accomplished.

On behalf of EAA 165 North Little Rock, EAA Hot Springs, and the MidSouthRVator group ..... thanks for coming to the PJ RV Gathering !

Special thanks to:

• Jerry (Homie) Homsley - AirBoss extraordinaire ! Talking to folks over 70 miles out with our new StarWars Laser Radio (ps being under than antenna for two days means no more children for Homie :)
  • Cooking Crew - Larry Watson, Phil Seamens, and Mac Bryson
  • AC Parking - Presley Melton, Randal Warren, and other MSRV guys!
  • Registraton - Richard and AnnaLynn Gulley, Sherri and Tony Nation
  • Transport - Vic Larocca and numerous volunteers
  • Firewood - Don Moore and Bruce Hood from EAA Hot Springs
  • Grounds and Campground - Andy Kitchens and Vic again with 4 hours each on a riding mower for taxiways and cleaning up the campground.
  • LOTs of others

Last edited:
We made it safely back home to Texas early in the afternoon. Had some low ceilings and poor vis to deal with at first but found a nice flyable VFR path by following the river westbound and then going around the north side of Ft. Smith when the skies finally opened up and then we had mostly clear skies all the way back home.

Last edited:
Calendar fail

I had this weekend event "penciled in" on my calendar from several months back, something got in the way, but I think next year we'll come on out. Sure sounds like lots of fun was had.

Made it back

Made it back IFR and had to do some re-calculations on the weight and balance. I've never eaten so much. Thanks to the organizers.

Back