What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Measurements

jeffwhip

Well Known Member
I was wondering if someone could give me the length and width measurements of the firewall at its widest part? Thanks! I need this to order a piece of titanium to use for my firewall insulation.

Sure thing!

Sorry I was so slow to respond. Kept forgetting once I got home. Have you any need for firewall recess measurements, and a plan to deal with that feature?

I did mine in SS foil over FibreFrax. A cardboard template fitted in place made the conceptualizing and cutting jobs much easier.

Bill, I didn't go into detail but I live in Dallas but my project is in Georgia. I'm going back there to do some major work next month. I found TMS Titanium that sells titanium sheets. I decided to use titanium instead of SS. I wanted to make sure I got a sheet that was big enough to do the job.

https://store.tmstitanium.com/products/titanium-sheet-plate/

I'd love to get any pointers from you as to your process of fitting the SS sheet and making it all fit. When you refer to recess features, are you referring to the parts of the firewall that are recessed? How did you go about fitting SS in those areas?

48DDbdm.jpg

This is how mine came out.

Cardboard template traced and cut. Laid atop the FibRefrax and then the SS foil sheet for marking and cutting. Where possible, I made the flaps that fold into the firewall recess of one piece with the larger sheet, the remainder are overlapped and covered with the aluminum foil tape. SS pop rivets and washers from McMaster provide the attachment in the middle and Fire Barrier caulk to seal and affix the edges.

For reference, I only added stainless to the lower center firewall. Effectively a 24x24" piece of stainless over fiberfrax that covered the area over the tunnel and the likely exit path for any under-cowl fire. Then, I used another 24"x24" piece on the belly with fiberfrax underneath.

I rationalized that the rest of the firewall was unlikely to see the same temperatures as the lower center firewall. I pray that I never have an opportunity to test my assumption.

Thank you for the pictures Bill. Those are priceless. It doesn't look like this is going to be that hard of a job.

Back