VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-12 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   uAvionix Echo UAT/GRT - Install Experience (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=154051)

BigJohn 10-08-2017 06:34 AM

uAvionix Echo UAT/GRT - Install Experience

Good Morning All,

Yes, I realize there are earlier threads on this product, but I find a lot of thread drift in those, and I would like to zero in on some specifics.

This unit looks pretty good to me for 2020 compliance for early RV-12ís with the original D-180ís. Iím looking for information and installation/operation advice specific to this configuration.

My 12 still has the original G496, but I am contemplating an upgrade to a G660. Does anyone have experience with interfacing this unit to the above?

Piper J3 10-08-2017 10:58 AM

I'm following this thread... I plan on installing the ECHO UAT with SkyFYX-EXT sometime next summer. I have an early 12 with D-180 and GTX 327. I want to mount the Sky GPS antenna next to the Garmin GPS antenna on the angle bracket under the cowling at the top of the firewall. Don't know yet where the ADS-B receiver will mount - I'm thinking behind the baggage compartment rear bulkhead.

turbo 10-08-2017 12:42 PM

jim, you might need some seperation between gps antennas. posibly a foot or so. ;)

Piper J3 10-08-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo (Post 1209482)
jim, you might need some seperation between gps antennas. posibly a foot or so. ;)

I have been wondering about that and doing some research. The sheetmetal shelf looks to be designed to accommodate two "hockey puck" GPS antennas side by side.

Jesse 10-08-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piper J3 (Post 1209490)
I have been wondering about that and doing some research. The sheetmetal shelf looks to be designed to accommodate two "hockey puck" GPS antennas side by side.

I have never separated GPS antennas and have thousands of fleet hours of no-problems.

painless 10-08-2017 07:09 PM

The need to separate, by a meter I believe, is for the transponder and adsb antennas.

Piper J3 10-08-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painless (Post 1209580)
The need to separate, by a meter I believe, is for the transponder and adsb antennas.

Yes, I got that part... That's why I plan to install the receiver in the tail cone. Short coax and long separation from transponder antenna. At least that's the plan for now.

Good to hear that GPS "hockey puck" antennas can be mounted side by side. The SkyFYX-EXT is an All-in-One GPS Receiver and Antenna. Think that would make any difference in the mounting position?

BobTurner 10-08-2017 09:14 PM

There have been a few reports - here on VAF - of gps antennas with internal electronics failing (due to heat?), and subsequently radiating a signal which blanked nearby gps antennas.

Canadian_JOY 10-08-2017 09:35 PM

Bob - it always seems I'm posting follow-ups after you've posted something... We've got to stop meeting like this!!!! :-)

The GA35 antennas from Garmin are somewhat (in)famous for acting as GPS jammers. Garmin claims this is caused by applying excessive torque to the antenna fasteners. I'm still not convinced as I've seen this same failure when no mounting screws were used.

Either way, it's quite possible for one GPS antenna to fail and become a jammer which will take out all the other GPS receivers on the airplane. Antenna separation won't help appreciably when this particular failure strikes. Switching off the offending GPS system is the only way to turn off the jamming and allow your other GPS receivers to work.

(For what it's worth, I have two of the little puck GPS antennas from GRT mounted side by side. They seem quite happy and in fact produce the best receive sensitivity of any GPS receivers I've ever owned.)

RicoB 10-08-2017 10:13 PM

I have just installed the echo, seems to work fine on the ground, i see traffic around.. Have not yet taken a flight.
Very simple install, I installed the echo skyfy-EXT next to my garmin on the front firewall.