What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need More Heat!

MWH265

Well Known Member
Happy New Year Everyone,

Flew the RV6A today in this 16 degree weather. To call the heat system inadequate is an understatement. I have a Vetterman exhaust with one heat muff, no mufflers, coming into the cabin in the toe area. Is there anything I can go to get some more heat into the cabin? I'm thinking add another muff to the other side and wrap them with an exhaust heat wrap. What is everyone else in cold climates using for cabin heat?

Thanks,
Mike

Lots of things to do, all documented on this forum. Try searching for cabin heat or similar, and study away!

More Heat

I have great heat coming from my heat muff, but the big problem is that it gets out faster than it comes in. Putting "booties" on the aileron control rods helps a bunch. See Van's instructions.

Last edited:
Electric seat heaters and heated motorcycle gear can be your friend this time of the year. :)

Vic

Seal the leaks. You'll have 'em at the back and sides of the slider. The leak around the aft skirt can be sealed with strips of adhesive foam. The leaks near the slider tracks can be sealed with "C" shaped strips of pipe insulation cut in half and stuffed into the gaps between the tracks and side skirts.

But, at 16F, it ain't gonna be warm. Tolerable, yes. Warm, no.

Heated seats

Seal up everything that you can and then add the seat heaters. My wife wouldn?t fly during the Michigan winters with me in the 7A if I didn?t install them. The 10 we fly now has much better heat.
I also use a heated vest in the Highlander I fly on Skis.

Gary

2mgr0uv.jpg
[/IMG]

I had the same issue, started with my delivery flight during December a few years ago, -12*C @11.5k coming home.

Quick fix: I bought three sizes of these to cover me and my passengers, they use the same battery as my hangar drill and driver. I also use toe warmers and hand warmers.

Next, I started sealing: canopy, aileron pushrods, flap pushrods, fresh air ducting.

Then my single heat muff got stainless scrubbers inserted, a restrictor plate to limit outflow, and I just got some exhaust wrap for it that I still need to install.

I have some seat heaters I will incorporate into the cushions I plan to build up sometime this year.

Sunny days are now pretty good, cloudy days are just tolerable.

Before you install electric seat heaters, Google "seat warmer fire".

I'm just saying, know what you are signing up for.

I bought my RV6 built so I can't take credit for a well sealed cockpit which accounts for a much of the comfort. The builder had two heat muffs on mine. It was too much even in the North Idaho winter. I took the pilots side off to reduce weight and to clean up under the cowl. One heat muff is comfortable in mine in 15 deg weather with one heat muff. Its all the way open with a little fresh air vent coming in too but it is comfortable. No cold hands and wearing a sweat shirt. There is insulation on the side skins from the panel to the seat back which helps. Probably 2lbs for the insulation?? Same or less than heat muff and all the pluming and control. Much easier to install. That 6 is murder to get under the panel!

As already mentioned, one of the key ingredients to good heater performance is stopping cold air from coming in. The best heat system in the world can't do much if you have air coming in that is colder than an AC system provides in the summer.

It is counter intuitive, but the first places to focus on for leaks is wherever the air is going out. This is usually in low pressure areas because of fuselage shape (canopy sides, along roll bar on a tip-up, etc.) If air is being sucked out because of low pressure, there will always be cold air coming in somewhere else to equalize pressure.

Then focus on pathways that air can come in. Don't worry about sealing everything because if you want vent and heat air to enter easily, you have to have a path for air to exit. I prefer to leave the corrugated ends of the baggage bulkhead open and seal everything else. This provides a flow path from the front of the cockpit to the back, maximizing heater and vent performance.

Strips of Kleenex can be used to find areas where air is moving out or in.

Once you have sealed up the cockpit, then work can be done to improve the temp delta of the heating system, but the biggest benefits are usually seen with time spent stopping the cold air from coming in.

When I was a student and renting Skyhawks from my school, I always asked for the 8am slot so I could get there early and start to preheat and de-ice the plane. We had some of the most unsealed planes in the country I think, including one that had a broken cabin air cable that allowed the cabin air flap on the cowl to stay open. I remember flying from Caldwell NJ to Kingston NY one winter morning and being so cold I didn't know if I could fly back. My first exposure, literally, to the potential perils of cold weather piloting.

All I ever did about it was to start wearing my bibbed ski pants, which I bought decades earlier for a trip one winter break with my college buddies. They got me through my days of cold weather rental flights. The bib really is a great invention for sealing out drafts in your attire! The only thing I wished I could have taken care of was how cold my head still was. In hindsight, I guess an in-ear headset with a wool hat would have topped off the outfit, again, literally!!

On my RV-7 annual 2 years ago, I had my mechanic install the aileron boots I had purchased. That took care of a lot of the other cold air that would come into my plane. I haven't needed anything else but maybe a sweatshirt under my coat. No bib, gloves, or hat needed!

Good luck.

Last edited:
I flew my 6 for 1.5hrs two days ago. It was around -20 Celsius at 3500ft and I have two heaters. I few with no coat and was just warm enough where normally both heaters will make too much heat. I think if I put the aileron tube gasket contraptions on that would do the trick. I did however receive a small frost bit on my hand while fueling up and holding on to the nozzle. Looks and feels like a burn. My oil temp never went higher than 120 which concerned me so I put her away to wait for warmer weather.

Back