What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine size

Newby to this
I currently own an RV8A with an 0-320
I started doing basic aerobatics and love it.
I?m selling my RV8A to buy another RV8 TW with more horses and inverted system.
Van recommend engine size up to 0-360
What do you guys think or know about RVs with I0-390??
Would that affect any of the aerobatic maneuvers ??
Thanks in advance for the help.

Newby to this
I currently own an RV8A with an 0-320
I started doing basic aerobatics and love it.
I?m selling my RV8A to buy another RV8 TW with more horses and inverted system.
Van recommend engine size up to 0-360
What do you guys think or know about RVs with I0-390??
Would that affect any of the aerobatic maneuvers ??
Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan Horton (DanH) has that setup. If he does not respond, contact him directly.

Most 8's seems to have a 360/180 ponies, injected is an advantage as well as C/S, it's all about the green back as you Yanks say!:)

Recommend you talk to Mitch Lock at Van?s. He shares my thoughts on the parallel valve IO-360 (180hp) and Hartzell CS prop as a sweet spot for this airplane.

But - if your performance target is first plane to 10k? regardless of fuel burn and cost, the IO-390 is a better match. For effiecent cross country and maneuvering the 180hp engine and CS prop is, in my opinion, the right set up.

Carl

Most 8's seems to have a 360/180 ponies, injected is an advantage as well as C/S, it's all about the green back as you Yanks say!:)

That seems to be a very popular setup
I hope I can find one with all of that for the right amount of mula.

Recommend you talk to Mitch Lock at Van’s. He shares my thoughts on the parallel valve IO-360 (180hp) and Hartzell CS prop as a sweet spot for this airplane.

But - if your performance target is first plane to 10k’ regardless of fuel burn and cost, the IO-390 is a better match. For effiecent cross country and maneuvering the 180hp engine and CS prop is, in my opinion, the right set up.

Carl

Thanks Carl
I love doing recreational aerobatics and
I think the 180hp with C/S prop is making more sense.

Thanks Capt
Yes thats a popular setup with the 180hp and cs prop, I?m going to start searching for that setup, I?m hoping to find one with inverted system in it already.

Back