What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 9/9A project!

Getting ready to start sealing my tanks soon...taking a little break first.

114_1447.JPG

Almost to the QB fuselage stage

Tail is finished, left wing is complete, right wing is waiting to have it's bottom skin riveted in place, engine has been topped, and the fuselage is match drilled, starting to take it apart for dimpling and CS'ing.

Last edited:
Bruce "nice airplane

Just thought I would comment on your project, its looking very nice for a
trail dragger :) (big grin)

Danny..

One Tank and LE Done

I've got the right tank and LE done and installed. The skins are just hanging there while I work the fit on the skin overlap where it meets the tank.

43737965.jpg

BTW, I'm very happy to be done with that tank, even with the second one coming soon.

N86JV Progress

Here is a picture of the interior kit from Classic Aero that I temporarily installed to make myself think I am almost done building. Hoping to get the plane to the airport in July. :) I am scheduled for transition training in August.

Blue Skies,
Jim Bray
N86JV

3626062574275737986237.jpg

Last edited:
Flight Line Interior

Just wanted to show everyone how my interior has turned out from Abby at Flight Line Interiors. It looks Great and was simple to install. Abby does a tremendous job with the kit and she is fantastic to work with.
img23413cm.jpg

And this one..

img23427qa.jpg

Scott Mills
N339A

Here was the first fitting of the panel a few weeks ago. Obviously radios and the like (Marker receiver, CDI, Intercom, couple idiot lights, remote ELT) are missing but all the round holes are there. Currently I am waiting on radios and have about as much wired as I can to this point, so I am installing interior now.

panelfit0fx.jpg

Scott
#90598 Finish Kit
N598SD reserved

RV-9A Status

Yesterday I attached the center section and side skins. The wings are done (no bottom skins) and the empennage is finished. With a little luck I'll be flying this bird next year.
Fuselage4.jpg

Portland Oregon RV9a

I began my 9a 11 months ago. Its a non-quick build, I have been working 22-25 hours a week withoiut any trouble ... and had 6 weeks off between empenage and wings, and 4 weeks off between wings and fuse. The fuse is 99.5% done, and the finish kit will be ready the last week of August. As the "expendable income" gods allow, we should fly by next spring.

Have fitted the wings and tail, which are now tucked away in storage.

Loving the process ... but can't wait for the next segment to begin, and then eventually to fly her.

Tom Sampson
Portland, Oregon
503.590.6575 Direct
RV9a #90535 Fuse at 99%

Visit My Website!
http://websites.expercraft.com/toms/

4 year, 6 months and counting

Kent Byerley
#90322 N94KJ

Sorry I was not able to get the image to upload. :(

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my RV-9A, completed assembled with wings and tail in my garage, with room to spare.

Since the photo, the engine install is complete, windscreen install is complete, and the prop install is about 50%.

Next thing to do is install the interior from Flightline (which is back ordered). In the meantime, lots of little jobs are being completed.

121_2126_1.jpg

Engine is a Superior/AeroSport O-320 A1AC2 roller lifter crankcase.
124_2441_1.jpg

Panel is complete, and is designed to be removable.
115_1542_1.jpg

Vern Little

Status of N523RV

P9110113-737284.jpg

Last weekend we had a party out our place so I pulled out all the parts and pieces and made them look like an airplane for our guests. Everyone was very impressed. Should have engine in mid-October.

Final Panel for N523RV

I installed the panel for what I hope is the last time this past weekend. It's funny to look back on all my past panel designs throughout the life of the project. Particularly since the final design turned out to be very traditional. The panel is missing a TruTrack Autopilot in the lower left instrument hole and I will be installing the new large version of the Dynon on the right side of the panel for my wife to use.

FinalPanel.jpg

Center section

Working through the center section. I'm putting in extra conduit and snap bushings. I'm probably going to do a bunch more work on this section than the instructions call for while it is up on the bench and all exposed (easy to work on).

IMG_1022.jpg

Scott,

I LOVE that prop. Would you mind telling me approximately what you had to give for it? That is awesome....

Thanks.

It's a Catto prop (www.cattoprops.com). $1650, then the extension (~$200 from Van's) and larger prop lugs in my case (~$200 from Sabre manufacturing). The only negative thing I have to say is that I ordered the prop in early January and just got it last Sunday.

I did not like the idea of the RPM restrictions with Sensenich and constant speed is/was out of my budget.

Scott

Assortment of parts

What you see is the left wing pretty much complete except for tips. The empennage is also finished except for fiberglass. The right flap is done and I am working on the right aileron now. The next assembly will be the right wing which is about half way done and build the right fuel tank. Hopefully I'll be ready for the fuselage before the first of the year. I am getting tired if the repetition of the wing parts. I can't imaging building a bi-plane.
DSCN1671.jpg

Jim Wright 90919 Arkansas

Last edited:
vlittle said:
Here's a pic of my RV-9A, completed assembled with wings and tail in my garage, with room to spare.

Since the photo, the engine install is complete, windscreen install is complete, and the prop install is about 50%.

Next thing to do is install the interior from Flightline (which is back ordered). In the meantime, lots of little jobs are being completed.

121_2126_1.jpg

Engine is a Superior/AeroSport O-320 A1AC2 roller lifter crankcase.
124_2441_1.jpg

Panel is complete, and is designed to be removable.
115_1542_1.jpg

Vern Little

Here's the finished product!

dsc00108_00_1.jpg

My RV-9A Status

Picture taken in May. Much progress since than

Engine due in first week in Jan (Penn Yam Aero O-320), Prop in last week Jan (Van's FP), first flight April 06 Tehachapi CA.

N523RV Status after long holiday push

P10203338x6-782228.jpg

After a hard 8 day push at the airport that is how she looks. I have some cowling/baffle/plenum/airbox work to finish up and a few miscellaneous items to take care of and then I can schedule inspection.

Looks good

Looking forward to seeing another 9A in the sky. It looks great. Let us know how you like the plenum after you get it flying. It won't be long now. jack

my lack of progress engine installed

just got the engine installed.. progress..

Danny..

Last edited:
Electrical Progress

Hi Folks.
Progress continues. We have assembled the panel and have it over to Greg Howard at Pearson to build harnesses for the radio, transponder, intercom, and Dynons.

We have installed an Icom a200 radio, GTX transponder, and PS4000 intercom. You'll also notice the AirGizmos panel docs for both the AvMapIV and Ipod. We also had the reverse-engraved switch bezels done through Pacfic Coast Avionics.

The Aerosport o-320 and Catto 3 blade prop should arrive in February week 3. And, we received out Vetterman exhaust last week ... Larry Vetterman built the FIRST RV9a dual muffler system (like the 10) for us ... the workmanship and muffler units are gorgeous!

Many THANKS to Mike Robertson, our EAA Tech Advisor ... who has been invaluable and there every time I have called or needed help!

Can't make the photo download work ...
Website address for ther panel photos is ...
http://websites.expercraft.com/toms/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=8972

Tom Sampson
Tigard, Oregon

Final Prep for Inspection

Finishing the final prep work for the inspection. Expect the maiden flight the end of the month (februrary).

Airplane rolls out for its maiden flight totally complete including paint, gear and wheel fairings, the works!

Completed transition training with Mike Seager two weeks ago.

Ksouthard
N355RV

Ipod

Tom Sampson said:
Hi Folks.
You'll also notice the AirGizmos panel docs for both the AvMapIV and Ipod. We also had the reverse-engraved switch bezels done through Pacfic Coast Avionics.

Just be careful of that IPOD dock, actually, be careful of you IPOD, The hard drive will fail if you get above 10K. I've been trying to get them to make a Mini dock instead of the one for the IPOD for this reason. Hard drives don't like thin air, the heads touch the platters :(

WOW! Looks like a plane

Here's a shot of my baby with wings! This has to be the best "milestone" moment so far. Now I am motivated to spend more time at the hangar finishing up.

Bruce Sacks
N659DB
n659db9il.jpg

Go Bruce

If all your pieces are ready for install I would think you should be flying in a month or less!

You are almost there!

Roger Ping
RV-9 77hrs

RV 9A Tip-Up Instrument Panel Question

HELP !!!!!!

I'm building a 9A tip-up and cut a cardboard template of the instrument panel. I began to do some instrument lay-outs and discovered a MAJOR PROBLEM. The panel supports and attachpoints are located approx. 9" from the ends of the instru. panel. I am planning to install Grand Rapids EFIS and EMS......CAN't do it because of the mounting locations.......

Contacted Vans and their answer...." sorry, you need to work with what you have..............." I didn't like that answer.........

If I knew that this was going to be a problem, then I would of went for a slider, but I wanted instrument access with the tip-up.....

It appears that I need to move the panel support ribs and/or find a means of making new attach points........really not sure what to do.....I don't want to use steam gauges.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Henry
N918HB
Finishing Kit Ordered

wouldn't move them

while the Vans quote was a little short :mad: , they are probably correct. I ran into the same problem. there are some limitations on the tip-up related to arranging your avionics. I would not recommend moving the support ribs unless you have more confidence than me for having a good outcome. Look around at some websites for 6s, 7s and 9s tip ups; they all have the same configurations. You might come upon a good idea for placement that doesn't compromise your support structures. good luck.

Henry,

Just move the rib (or ribs) over some. I moved the left rib over 1.xx" to get my dynon centered and to better fit everything. I just cut the rib where it goes through the subpanel and rivetted angle to it and moved it left. I have instrument holes where the two original mounting holes in the panel were, so they got cut out. Checkoway did almost the same thing I did (or actually I did almost the same as him). Check his website for pictures. There is a picture from when I was working on my panel on page 2 of this thread and you can probably tell how my left rib was shifted left.

Scott
#90598 - Inspection Tomorrow!!!! (calling for 3-4" of snow so I doubt there will be a flight following it)

I know of a Super -7 (IO-540!) tip-up that has the left rib removed all together (between the sub-panel and instrument panel).

I did it that way on my IO-360 tip-up... we both are using the Affordable Panels modular panel design. It has two pieces of .090.

I don't think it will hurt

I faced the same problem with my panel layout. I place both a Blue Mt EFIS Sport and Lite in my panel along with a full IFR radio stack. As most builder, I went through a number of layout designs.
The finial changes that I made in my tipup panel are as follows:

1. No ejection hardware or structure, I am using bolts for hinge pins.
2. Ordered from Vans a new panel 1 inch taller. (needed to fit both EFIS in
an over/under stack)
3. Move the left panel support rib right about 2 inches to allow the EFIS to
be centered. This was cut at the next bulkhead and an angle used to
reattach to bulkhead.
3. Used 3/4 angle to reinforce next bulkhead where holes were cut for long
instruments.

I can dig up pictures and post if you need to see them.

Note that the structure under the forward skin is not changed and this is where the fuse strength comes from. The ribs that extend back under the tipup mainly support the thick panel material (sides and two ribs). I don't think that the 2 inch move will change this. The only other effect would be in a crash the right rib is no longer continuous from the panel to the FW. This might allow the panel to deflect more until the next bulkhead is reached. Is that weaker or just more crush zone? Anyway I think that the number of instruments and there size/weight will have more effect during a crash then the rib change.

Kent

Tip Up Support Ribs

Henry,

I also moved the left rib further outboard in my 9a tipper. This was done to allow central location of the EFIS and uniform spacing between it and the round guages. I cut the rib at the sub panel, attached angle and riveted back to the sub panel in the new location. An additional rib was added to the center of the panel along with the console that I wanted to allow distribution of the panel "toys". It is rock solid. You can see it on the VAF front page---First Flight N949DB. Note the larger headed black screws in the panel attach the panel to the ribs.

Most of us only do this once---build it like you want it!!

Cheers,

db

Oversized panel

kentb said:
Ordered from Vans a new panel 1 inch taller. (needed to fit both EFIS in an over/under stack)
Kent

Kent,

How did you get Van's to make a panel 1" taller than normal? Was this a "special order" or do they actually stock oversized panels? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks,

Mark

Took 2.5 hours to get to the hangar, 85 miles at 45 mph. Engine start next maybe 6/7 May. First flight maybe end June or mid July.

:)

Back