What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Review-Nexus 7 and Garmin Pilot in the Cockpit

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Months back I tested (using barrowed tablets) the Garmin Pilot on the Ipad and on a Samsung 8.9? tablet. Unfortunately the Garmin Pilot for the Android operating system wasn?t as mature as the Ipad version and there really wasn't fair comparison on performance between the two. So I decided to wait to commit to a tablet. I found both the Ipad and Samsung 8.9? to be too large to use in the cockpit. I also wanted to see if Garmin was going to update the Android version and make it on pair with the Ipad version. A few weeks ago Apple announced the Ipad mini and its pricing. Additionally Google announced they were releasing a 32g Nexus 7 (built in gps receiver) for $249. With the 16g Ipad mini selling for $329 (no gps receiver in the mini), and the 32g Ipad mini selling for $429, the 32g Nexus 7 is a compelling option. The real question in my min was whether the Garmin Pilot on Android worked as well on the Nexus as it did on the Ipad.

First off I did look at the Ipad Mini over at Best Buy. It is very nice but a bit too wide to hold in the hand comfortably, the Nexus fits nicely. I plan on using this tablet for other things besides flight planning and navigation so the ergonomics are important to me. Additionally the image on the screen on the Ipad Mini isn?t as sharp as the Nexus due to the lower pixel count. So I decided to purchase a 32g Nexus 7 from Walmart (they have 15 day return policy) and load up the Garmin Pilot (30 day free trial) and see how it works.

The Nexus 7 GPS receiver is great. It picked up at least 7 satellites while I was sitting in my house. It takes only 10-20 seconds to lock satellites when in the cockpit. Far better then my cell phone and quicker then my Garmin 496.

The Garmin Pilot works great on the Nexus 7. Garmin has continually updated the program for the Android operating system and it has all I hoped it would have had months ago. My wife ran the Nexus 7 while I flew. She really liked being able to see more on the Nexus 7 then the 496.

Like all the tablets the screen is a bit hard to see in bright light, but it isn't the best but is manageable.

All in all the Nexus 7 appears to be a winner from my standpoint. I got the 32g version just in case I need the storage space (music, movies, etc.) However the 16g Nexus 7 (at $199) would most likely have met all my current and future needs.

For those interested in the Ipad Mini, Walmart had stock on the first release date while Best Buy didn?t.

review nexus 7 & garmin pilot

paul: thanks for the review.always looking for best value for the buck.

Like the iPad, the Nexus 7 requires a 5v source. The easiest (and most versatile) power method is to have a cigarette lighter port somewhere in your airplane and then use a standard USB car charger adapter.

I have a dual port cigarette lighter receptacle up under my panel. I use a low-profile USB charger adapter to get 5v.

2318.16119.150x100.USBC202m_9883_angled.jpg

I would have kept my nexus 7 if it would run Wing X pro. What kind of battery life would you expect with full brightness running garmin pilot?

The simple view with just airspace/terrain/airports is nice to have. Hopefully they get wing x pro working on android soon.

Last edited:
Like the iPad, the Nexus 7 requires a 5v source. The easiest (and most versatile) power method is to have a cigarette lighter port somewhere in your airplane and then use a standard USB car charger adapter.

I have a dual port cigarette lighter receptacle up under my panel. I use a low-profile USB charger adapter to get 5v.

2318.16119.150x100.USBC202m_9883_angled.jpg

Be advised that the Nexus 7, like all tablets requires a 10 watt charging current. As such it requires that there be a voltage on the data pins. It is the same signal configuration as the Samsung Galaxy tab, and is probably the same across all Android tablets. The voltage signal is different than the voltage on an Apple charger. If you get one of those auto parts store chargers be sure it will charge an Android tablet and don't believe the printing on the box. I bought one that said iPod, iPad, Samsung, etc. and it wouldn't charge any tablet because it didn't have any voltage signal on the data lines. You can get cheater cords from cSquid, and probably others, which will work with the bare chargers to turn them into iPad or Samsung chargers.

I make a panel mount charger in different models that work with Apple tablets, iPhones and Android tablets and I have tested them with iPads, iPhones, Samsung Galaxy tablets and Nexus 7 tablets. There is even a model that will charge an Apple tablet in one port and an Android tablet in the other port simultaneously.

Review Nexus 7 Update??

Hello Paul,
Almost a year has gone by since your excellent review and I was wondering about your current thoughts.

I'm about to spring for a "mini-tablet" and read every review in the archives. Taking everyone's comments into consideration, I'm heavily leaning toward the Nexus 7. All my current products are Apple; but I played with a droid phone yesterday and was impressed with the "swipe" technology.

I see an iPad Mini Air is about to come out with new whiz bang stuff. All this technology updating is enough to drive one nuts and is never ending, I know. I'm 90% certain I'll be going with the Nexus 7 just to make a decision and stop the madness for awhile. Thought I'd bump this up again as I continually learn things from these reviews and its FUN. :D ...and there is a 10% chance I might change my mind. :eek:

Thanks to all subject posters for your inputs,

Yes the news paper today said the new Ipad mini is going to have the new Retina screen. Thats should help.The released date was end of November. Wouldn't be surprised if Black Friday is the release. Fyi
Ron in Oregon

Nexus 7

I have been happy with the Nexus 7 for almost the full year now. Garmin Pilot for Android has been a work in progress but it 99% bug free at least from my experiences.

The lastest generation Nexus has a better screen but is having GPS problems. Until this GPS problem is solved I would wait to purchase the lastest generation Nexus 7.

The latest ipad mini is now out with a higher resolution display then before. I don't know if it will be any better in sunlight. But if the new mini is like the original it doesn't have a GPS receiver built in (unless there is a 3G version).

I bought a 1st gen 32 BG Nexus 7 in May and have used it extensively since then. Good readability, excellent GPS and very stable.

I've run several apps but have settled on Garmin Pilot for now.

I have been happy with the Nexus 7 for almost the full year now. Garmin Pilot for Android has been a work in progress but it 99% bug free at least from my experiences.

The lastest generation Nexus has a better screen but is having GPS problems. Until this GPS problem is solved I would wait to purchase the lastest generation Nexus 7.

The latest ipad mini is now out with a higher resolution display then before. I don't know if it will be any better in sunlight. But if the new mini is like the original it doesn't have a GPS receiver built in (unless there is a 3G version).
What kind of GPS issues?

I returned my Nexus 7 due to Bluetooth pairing issues with the Garmin GDL-39. The iPad mini I replaced it with ran great right out of the box and has ever since.

Other than the bluetooth problem, I had no problem with the Nexus.

Back