VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-10 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wing Walk Material (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=158123)

bob888 02-25-2018 08:42 AM

Wing Walk Material

What is the best material for the non-skid wing walk area that goes on the upper wing root areas? What about the clear protective strip that protects the paint on the forward flap area? Thanks...

mike newall 02-25-2018 08:46 AM

Ray Allen does it with a nice cut logo.

Spruce

Kyle Boatright 02-25-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike newall (Post 1241996)
Ray Allen does it with a nice cut logo.

Spruce

I have some of what I believe is the Ray Allen material on my -6. It has always been pretty slick when wet. I was hoping to find something with more grip for the -10.

Mike S 02-25-2018 09:00 AM

Vans has some for the 10, nice cutouts for the gap cover screws too.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...uct=wing-walks

Mark Dickens 02-25-2018 09:40 AM

I remember that some have used skate board grip tape as a wing walk material. I will be taking my -8 to paint in about a month and am thinking about what I'm going to use after that. Wondering if anyone had a pirep on using skate board material?

Edit: and it's a lot cheaper too

Jeff Vaughan 02-25-2018 09:43 AM

3M makes a nice material that you can get from McMaster Carr

Carl Froehlich 02-25-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike S (Post 1242000)
Vans has some for the 10, nice cutouts for the gap cover screws too.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...uct=wing-walks

Consider not putting it on the wing root cover. Just on the wing is more than enough, and that way you donít promote people kicking toes into the side of the fusleage. Just tell them ďif it is not black, donít step on itĒ. This seems to work.

Carl

kdedmunds 02-25-2018 10:30 AM

Skate board material

If you want something that is completely custom, Google skateboard custom grip tape. The possibilities become endless. Requires more decisions:)

9GT 02-25-2018 11:21 AM

Stay away from the clear stuff. It is easily soiled/stained and is near impossible to clean afterwards.

JohnInReno 02-25-2018 02:12 PM

Stair tape

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dickens (Post 1242010)
I remember that some have used skate board grip tape as a wing walk material. I will be taking my -8 to paint in about a month and am thinking about what I'm going to use after that. Wondering if anyone had a pirep on using skate board material?

I installed the usual rubbery wing walk material but it disintegrated in flight. I believe that my paint was too "slippery" and allowed the material to separate. If I used that again, I would prep the paint with 400 grit first.

At the time, I needed to replace one side while I was away from home so I used 3 lines of 2" Stair tape (3m?) from Home Depot or Lowes. It is rough on knees but sticking is terrific and there are no issues when it is wet. When I got home, I used the stair tape on the other side so it would match.

bsacks05 02-25-2018 02:36 PM

My brushed on Randolph Wing Walk compound has been in place and giving traction for 12 years and 1100 hrs. The black faded a little and I repainted it a few years ago but the grip has been fine. No peeling or chipping either.

RV8Squaz 02-25-2018 07:12 PM

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...p?recfer=24992

Kyle Boatright 02-25-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV8Squaz (Post 1242116)

How does it do when it is wet?

fl-mike 02-25-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dickens (Post 1242010)

$5 a piece (side) on the web.

Six years or so and no issues. Did have one of the little pieces on the step start to lift, so replaced that when I did the step reinforcement. Gnarly dude!:D

RV8Squaz 02-25-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright (Post 1242125)
How does it do when it is wet?

It works great Kyle. Iíve never had any issues with it.

rleffler 02-26-2018 04:29 AM

I had the material from Flyboys on my RV-10. On several occasions, I lost portions of the material in flight. They were gracious to offer replacements, but after the third time replacing them I gave up. They did give me a refund.

The issue was that the adhesive failed. What made it worse, was the failure was between the wing walk material and the adhesive. The adhesive was still firmly attached to the surface which was a pita to remove.

I was told that the primary intention for their product was from the marine industry. I did notice an issue while flying Young Eagles last summer that the adhesive would start to loosen in direct sunlight in the mid 70ís. While kneeling to assist kids with their seatbelts I notice that if I pivoted my knee the material turned too.

Iíve purchased the Ray Allen material which is a little more expensive, but I havenít put it on yet. Iím waiting for the hangar to be a tad bit warmer.

Bill.Peyton 02-26-2018 07:21 AM

The Vans stuff works great and after 6 years and 800 hours still looks new

Mudfly 02-26-2018 07:21 AM

Probably waaay overkill here, but just a thought. I'm not close to needing wing walk material, but have had this idea since I've been working on my wings. I had a truck bed with this product for years and it was very durable provided good traction even when wet. This product is different than some other bed liner sprays that are thicker and feel more "cushioned". Line-X appears to be a fairly thin layer, and can be textured as required. Options for durability, UV protection, and color are also available.
Not sure if mobile service is available so that would be an issue for a completed plane. I thought if I paint before flight this may be an option. One obvious disadvantage may be that once applied, it may be very difficult to remove if required.
Like I said, probably too involved for a wing walk material, but might be interesting for someone to consider...and let me know how it turns out:)

http://www.linex.com/bedliners

az_gila 02-26-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill.Peyton (Post 1242197)
The Vans stuff works great and after 6 years and 800 hours still looks new

Isn't Vans wing walk the same as the Ray Allen part?

Daida 02-26-2018 02:11 PM

+1 for Skateboard grip tape

It is cheap,
It works,
Comes in literally million different colours,
Comes in different grits,

It is all you need.

Toobuilder 02-26-2018 04:40 PM

Home Depot has some 3M stuff that is used for outdoor stair steps. It has a reflective strip in one side which is easily removed. I have it on my Rocket and it wears very well. When I repaint I'll probably go that way again.

About $6 IIRC.

BillL 02-26-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toobuilder (Post 1242367)
Home Depot has some 3M stuff that is used for outdoor stair steps. It has a reflective strip in one side which is easily removed. I have it on my Rocket and it wears very well. When I repaint I'll probably go that way again.

About $6 IIRC.

+1 3M also makes a type without the reflective strip. I have used it until it is time to paint. Looks good, works good too. It can be removed with a heat gun and residual cleaned with mineral spirits. [validated]

I'll probably use the Vans pieces with the model number after paint. I have them ready.

MauleDriver 02-27-2018 06:54 AM

Hereís what I did with some of the stick on material. Itís held up well for over 5 years and 1,000 hours. The pattern leaves the screws accessible, feet off the tanks, and no problem with the wing root covers.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uth3vtbf3a...20AM.jpeg?dl=0

Greg Arehart 02-28-2018 09:46 AM

Skateboard tape for almost 10 years, still looks new. I got mine free from the local shop because it was the end of a big roll and apparently not enough to do an entire board. Should come off fairly easily with some heat, but I've never tried (or needed) to remove it.

Auburntsts 02-28-2018 09:52 AM

My painter just added sand (or something similar) to some black PPG paint and painted my wing walks on. Works great. Prior to my paint job I used the Home Depot 3M tape on the wings and steps and it worked just fine too.