What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine ring attachment

EastCoastFlyer

Friend
I cannot figure out how to get the engine ring over the lower left cooling tube. Does anybody have any hints on how to get the engine ring on without forcing it past the lower left cooling tubr?

I cannot figure out how to get the engine ring over the lower left cooling tube. Does anybody have any hints on how to get the engine ring on without forcing it past the lower left cooling tubr?

I could not get the engine mount to fit as instructed in the plans. First, remove the factory installed shipping plates as they use two of the engine mounts. Then remove the wiring clamp as suggested. The new engine mounts have added gussets not pictured in the instructions and these gussets interfered with the installation. I tried to position the right upper mounting point as illustrated in the photo and it did not work despite an evening of attempts. Thanks to a post on the VAF forum, I tried placing the right upper mount over the right upper engine mounting point. I was then able to rotate the mount into position although it was a _very_ snug fit. I needed to use the palm of my hand to "hammer" the mount over the left lower radiator fitting.

Hopefully others will chime in with an easier solution.

Jeff

I'm thinking of just removing the water pump housing. It's just 4 screws and looking at the maintenance manual, there is nothing tricky about it....

After I cut the upper ground lug off the starter. I lubed the lower left portion of water pump where it contacted the mount as it passed, and it seemed to slip right by as I held my breath. Good luck

To follow up: I finally gave up with trying to get the ring on per the plans. It looks like the gussets on both lower attach legs on my mount are much larger than the ones on the mount in the assembly pictures. I removed the "water inlet elbow" and the 5 bolts holding the water pump housing on. Once the water pump housing is removed, the engine mount ring slides in easily, you don't even need to use any tape to protect the powder coating (and you don't have to remove the ignition harness clamp). The whole process took less than 15 min. It took longer to find the tightening torque (90 in.lb) for the water pump housing bolts, in the maintenance manual, than it did to do the rest of the install.

Back