What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extended Range Fuel

rvbruce

I am looking for ways to add 14+ gallons of additional fuel to my RV8. The Safe Air folks have a nice system, but only 9 gallons and change. I saw an RV website that had an ER configuration with more fuel but can't find it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Your in luck 25 gal of extra fuel

Here are the tanks that Jon Johanson uses. They are tip tanks and add 12.5 gals each! So you will have about 3 more hours endurance with the extra 25 gal.

The nice thing about using the existing structure of the wing tip fairing is less weight. Weight of mod alone should be the same or less than SafeAir's 9 gal aluminum tanks. I like Safeair's design but have no first hand experience with either design, but the pictures look nice. Safeair may come up with more capacity since all they have to do is add a bigger "reservoir box" on the outboard end like the RV10 version they make.

Structural wise, I think the wing tip fairing tank would have some ties to the end-rib or spar web? 70 lbs of fuel on the wing tip held by the wing skin sheet metal may be OK, but I would like a "shear tie" between the tank and the spar or rib. I would ask if they did any "stress analysis" :eek: Cheers G

Here is the link:
http://www.flymore.com.au/

SafeAir/HWA Tanks

I gave just installed the SafeAir Tanks. Great product, complete with excellent instructions and all of the parts needed for installation. Over 50 gallons of fuel will last nearly 5 hours. My bladder won't last much longer than 4 hours.

Thanks,

Robby Knox

Bladder Buster Tanks

Several people asked about the tip tanks on our RV-6A at Sun 'n Fun. They are aluminum, they conform exactly to the normal airfoil, and they extend the wing 9 inches on each side which should help carry the extra load but they eliminate the aerobatic capability. I bought them from the company owner Farn Reed in 1996. I do not know if they are still available but ours provide 17 more gallons (55 total on the airplane) and they have served us very well. The address I have from the old invoice is:

"Bladder Buster Tanks"
Reed Mfg
315 Lathrop Lane
Grants Pass, OR 97526

At that time the total cost was $1,950

Last edited:
How I did it...

Here is how I did it... http://n523rv.com/fueltanks/

Basically I added 3 extra bays to my fuel tanks and created a single leading edge skin in the process.

You might get in touch with Mike Stewart, he's building a Super-8 with big tanks on it.

cost

I mailed these guys and asked for a quote. I think that my computer is on the fritz as whatever price they entered my computer converted to $3700.00. I love this hobby but the prices that some people ask for items is rediculous.

Back