VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-6/6A (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   propeller choice (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=44786)

acwrench 06-21-2009 01:43 PM

propeller choice

any comment or suggestions on matching an IO-320 with a fixed pitch propeller? looked at Catto, Warp Drive, Sensenich wood and metal.:eek:

Mel 06-21-2009 02:06 PM

Avoid the Warp Drive. They don't work well on RVs.
I have run Sensenich wood and metal; both good.
Settled on Catto 3-blade; Best F/P prop I've ever flown behind.

acwrench 06-21-2009 02:16 PM

Mel,
what's their after sale support like?
Pat(acwrench)

hevansrv7a 06-21-2009 04:16 PM

Prince or Catto

There are probably other excellent props, too, but I can personally recommend both of these and the excellent people who make them and stand behind them.

Mel 06-21-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acwrench (Post 335893)
Mel,
what's their after sale support like?
Pat(acwrench)

I assume you mean Catto.
After sale support is excellent. When I ordered my prop we weren't sure exactly how much hp I had, since my engine was modified. Craig purposely built the prop slightly over pitched. When I tried it, it didn't do quite what he said it would. I told him I was very satisfied with the performance, but he insisted on my sending it back for rework. Turn around time was about 2 weeks. The prop then performed exactly like he said it would.

6 Gun 06-21-2009 08:54 PM

prop

we really like our Sensenich metal prop on 0-360 rv-6

acwrench 06-22-2009 11:13 AM

Mel,

If I plan to add an ignition or exhaust mod later, something that would change the power output, should that be a consideration when ordering?
What has the maintenance been like on the leading edges? Any special precautions flying in weather?

Pat

Fallalloveryou 06-22-2009 11:15 AM

Sensenich Wood prop

I can sell you may almost new sensenich wood prop for $800. It give good performance. You can email for photos ksanders@bellnet.ca thanks Rick

Mel 06-22-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acwrench (Post 336088)
Mel,
If I plan to add an ignition or exhaust mod later, something that would change the power output, should that be a consideration when ordering?
What has the maintenance been like on the leading edges? Any special precautions flying in weather?
Pat

Typically wood and/or composite props aren't as subject to harmonic vibrations or pulses caused by ignition and exhaust mods that metal ones are. Of course, from a liability standpoint, "you're on your own!" As far as power output, obviously if you increase power, you're going to turn the same prop faster.
I generally throttle back a little in rain although with the leading edge tape, Graig says you don't need to.

acwrench 06-22-2009 08:36 PM

Mel, and all thanks for your input. Emailed Catto props and got the facts from them today. Looks like this install would do well with a 2 blade prop.

Pat:)