What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W-715 "Batwing" Tips

jmcanty3

I have an older 2005 QB kit with the W-715 "batwing" wing tips. Other than aesthetics, is there any reason to change these out to the new W-715-1 tips? Any noticeable advantages in construction/ performance with the newest tip?

Thanks,
JC

Cut them of!

Hello John

I also got the "Bat-Tips", but during the build, Vans switched to straight trailing edge.

Due to the reason that the "Bat-Style" does only at the wings is and nor all over the other surfaces, I cut them straight, scuffed the inside very good and layed a few glas stripes inside with epoxy.

It's probably a personal thing. I've seen RV-4's retrofitted with the bat-wing tips and they look really, really good to me. As does a friend's -7 with the bat-wings. They're probably harder to make than the straight ones, so I understand why Van changed them.

I have a much earlier kit and it also has the W715 tips. The functional difference in the tips is the light notch is one inch wider for the W715-1 with straight trailing edge. See page 79 of the Vans Catalogue.

This inch would limit options for tip-only taxi/landing lights. It may be moot anyway as the best LED's now only fit in the leading edge.

V speeds with various wingtips

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the way the bat wing looks too. Wondering if anyone has a pirep on handling qualities, V speeds (particularly stall speeds) etc. when comparing the various tips?

I have a newer kit that made its first flight in March. My DAR was surprised to hear that I didn't have any problems with a heavy wing, because most of the RV7's he had worked with had a heavy wing problem. He thought that I might not have had that problem since I didn't have the bat wing tips. Don't know if thats why mine flew so true right off the bat, but maybe something to consider.

Thanks for the feedback.
I like the way the bat wing looks too. Wondering if anyone has a pirep on handling qualities, V speeds (particularly stall speeds) etc. when comparing the various tips?

I changed from the original "hoerner" style tips to the "batwing" tips on my RV-6. I saw absolutely no change in performance. I was hopping that the small increase in span might lower the stall speed slightly, but no!

Actually, if anything, I believe the original tips were slightly more efficient.

Like Bill L said, the 'bat wing' tips have a smaller area for the wing tip lights. I bought my -7 with the bat wing tips and wanted to upgrade landing lights. I have Whelen strobes and the current landing/taxi lights are partially blocked by the strobe lights. Can't do much with this configuration. Larger wing tip light openings would give me more options.

Tip differences

Hi

Does anyone know whether there is any difference to the tip leading edge profile. Is it possible to modify the old style tip to accept the larger LL7-8MR16 wing light kit.

No change.

We have them and they are the same other than the bigger pocket for the landing lights in the newer type. We put the RV- style landing lights in the smaller pocket and it work well that way with them and "L.E.D." bulbs installed to replace the Holide RV-10 bulbs. There are a couple of kit out there that have bigger cut-outs and bigger "L.E.D.s" you can install in the tips, both old and new style. It is just what you like to have in those cases.
Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

On the dash ones you are less likely to catch your thighs on the corners walking around the aircraft. The bat wings stick out just enough to catch your thigh and it can hurt. :))

Back