VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Aerocanopy for RV8 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=156417)

psychose 12-28-2017 08:39 PM

Aerocanopy for RV8

Hello folks,

Hope you all had a good Xmas.

Went flying on Tuesday to do a short aileron rigging test. Some time during the flight heard a bang, had no idea what it was. Headed back to airport. Once back in the hangar, I noticed the huge crack in the canopy. It had continued from an incipient crack I had stopped-drilled during the build. It had held fine up to this point, but I guess the extreme cold temperature was too much for it this time.

Vans sells a new canopy for 1200$. Aircraft Spruce sells experimental canopies by Aerocanopy for 675$. Anyone have experience with these canopies? Would appreciate any advice.

For the record, I'm NOT looking forward to installing a new canopy...

Thanks in advance,

Normand
RV8 C-GNGN

Red Mtn flyer 12-29-2017 11:02 AM

canopy repair

No experience with that vendor -- but consider repair. Obviously, we don't see what you are looking at, but:

https://www.polyvance.com/pfxcanopy.php-1

psychose 12-29-2017 04:48 PM

Aerocanopy for RV8

Hello Ben,

I have seen this web site and am considering my options. Mine is a very clean crack and so far I've tried methylene chloride but there is a small gap caused by the stress that provoked the crack in the first place. I will probably need to use a thicker solvent to fill the void.

I'm still considering the replacement option as I doubt I will be satisfied with a repair that is less than perfect...

Thanks for rhe suggestion.

Normand

Scott Hersha 12-29-2017 07:50 PM

Did the original crack emanate from a hole/pulled rivet used in the initial installation?

psychose 12-31-2017 10:04 AM

Aerocanopy for RV8

Hello Scott,

Yes, the original hole was a crack emanating from a pulled rivet hole. I probably did not enlarge the hole enough during the build.

regards,

Normand

Northernliving 12-31-2017 11:06 AM

Hi Normand, I believe that Lance Logan Stuart, FL Plane based at X58 purchased Todd's tools and is now making canopies. Username judoka5051. That might be an option.

psychose 01-03-2018 08:38 AM

Aerocanopy for RV8

Hi,

Yes I read that in some of the posts. Also read that Lance does not produce canopies using 1/4 inch acrylic as Todd apparenly did, but 3/16 inch as Vans and Aerocanopies do. So not sure if there is still a quality advantage.

I've ordered a Plastifix kit from ACS and will give it a try. It may keep me satisfied until I get the a/c painted.

Cheers

Normand
RV8 C-GNGN

judoka5051 01-05-2018 08:28 AM

Canopy thickness...

Good morning all,

Just stumbled onto this thread. Todd primarily used 3/16" material for all canopies. He would make a 1/4" canopy if you insisted. I bought the canopy for my 8A from him and originally want the 1/4 material. He talked me out of it, explaining that it was quite a bit heavier. He happened to have a 3/16 in stock at the time, so I bought and installed it with sikaflex. Messy, but worth it!

I'm fine with the 3/16" material, but, I plan on trying to form just the windshield portion out of 3/8" for those RV8 flyers concerned about bird strikes. Won't do me a bit of good though, mine's a fastback tip-up...

Regards, Lance

P.S. If you see this Doug, I'd like to advertise here. I emailed you a while back. You probably get a million a day though, so good luck finding it!

judoka5051@yahoo.com
561-779-9932

ronschreck 01-06-2018 07:23 AM

Beware the cold.

Wow, that's the third cracked canopy I have heard of this week! The bitter cold that has enveloped most of the nation this week is bringing a rash of troubles to many. My canopy cracked in September on a 75-degree day! I have installed a new canopy with Sikaflex and hope to never have to do it again. Just curious, has anyone ever heard of a Sikeflexed canopy cracking?

Michael Henning 01-06-2018 07:48 AM

I have a “Todd’s” canopy on my -4. Has anyone taken over the operation or filled the void from Todd?