What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Line routing

RyanB

Hi Everyone

The pitot line on 4 runs initially behind the main spar and is held in place by snap bushes in the ribs. It then goes through a lightning hole in the spar and runs along the front of the spar underneath the fuel tank. My question is whilst the pitot line is running under the tank, how to you secure the line to the spar?

Another question is when you ran you conduit for the lights etc, did you run it with the pitot line and bring it out in front of the spar or run it through all the ribs to come out behind the spar?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi Ryan,

I can't remember how the pitot is held in place in ours, sorry. It is indeed running between the spar and the fuel tank, that I do remember.

On your second question: The wiring for the lights on ours runs aft of the main spar all the way and ends with a connector on that side.

Good luck!

Hans

On my 6A, I used plastic tubing. It was supported near the pitot connection, but left it loose behind the fuel tank. The plastic will see no negative affects from constant flexing and bouncing around, like an aluminum line.

Larry

I would be concerned about allowing a pitot or static line (plastic or metal) to go unsupported between the fuel tank baffle and wing spar. Vibration will eventually wear a hole in either. I suggest passing the lines through snap bushings installed in the rib root area, near the spar.

Pitot

Thanks for the replies guys. Sadly where the line runs behind the tank it just runs between the tank baffle and the main spar, so no ribs there to drill through for support. I was thinking of maybe just prosealing the line to the spar?

Plastic lines could work well!!

I made clips to hold the wiring and also the pitot tube to the front of the min spar, held on with pop rivets.

Pitot

Hi there

We did the same, made some simple P Clamps out of 0.020 Ali and drilled a 3/16 hole in the clamp. We then used the bolts that hold the ribs to the spar to hold the clamps. In other words substituted the bolts washer with the Ali clamp.

We put some pro seal on clamp and tube before bolting on to prevent rubbing.

Hope this makes sense

If you plan to use an EFIS with a remote ADAHRS, scrap the per-plans routing. Use the plastic lines and run them behind the spar, under the seat, and aft to where you will likrly mount the ADAHRS. I spent a bunch of time making some very nice aluminum lines on my 6, didnt end up using them at all. It is a PITA to try and route then back through the spar.

Here is how I secured the aluminum lines to the front of the spar. This method is called out on the -6 plans.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=ccpeterson@y&project=754&category=5228&log=91662&row=29

IIRC I used nylon clamps around the aluminum line that were pop riveted to the spar web behind the tanks. Maybe every 6" or so. Figured I'd never have to remove it but if I ever did drilling out the pop rivets was ano option or just cut the nylon clamps.

Probably something better out there but I think I got the clamps at Home Depot or Lowes.

Back