VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-7/7A (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Flaps Positioning System for RV-7 -- full extension? (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=162558)

gopalapagos 07-24-2018 11:14 AM

Flaps Positioning System for RV-7 -- full extension?

Hi RV-7 gurus,

I am trying to upgrade my RV-7 to have a flaps controller so that I can have three-position auto-extend and no longer have to look as long out the canopy while holding the switch. I've narrowed the choices down to the one from Vans and the one from TCW:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...al&product=fps

http://www.tcwtech.com/ifc_intellige...ontroller.html

My inclination is to go with the one from Vans as it's slightly less expensive and factory endorsed, but my A&P was saying something about the Vans FPS not being able to fully extend on an RV-7. I'd like to get full 40 degrees flaps. The Vans web page also says "(degrees of travel varies with aircraft type)" which has me a little worried.

Can anyone else with experience with the Vans FPS on an RV-7 confirm or deny whether full extension is possible with this controller. Vans support staff is unavailable due to Oshkosh and I'm hoping to order this today.

Thanks in advance,
G

dave4754 07-24-2018 01:31 PM

Flaps plus

I purchased this one.

It is not flying but it is installed and seems to work good.

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/cache/3...PS-PlusEnc.jpg

Dave

Raymo 07-24-2018 03:19 PM

I considered installation of a sensor and purchased one from Ray Allen, along with running wires but after running the flaps up and down a few times, decided a 2 count for 10, 4 count for 20 and 8 count for full flaps works just fine.

Bevan 07-24-2018 05:16 PM

I use the Vans FPS version on the RV7A and get slightly more than 40 degrees (full travel of the flaps). It may depend on how it's adjusted.

Bevan

vlittle 07-24-2018 06:46 PM

I've done a deep dive on flap positioning systems and not been totally satisfied with any of the products.

So what's an old engineer going to do? Yup, I designed my own. It works in parallel with a manual system, so is more fail-safe.

I programmed my Falcon-AVR controller for this (search the forums more more details). Since I adjust both trim and flaps together, I found that only two preset positions make sense: take-off preset and landing preset. In between, I use manual control.

Take-off preset allows one-button push in a go around, and landing preset does the same, but for landing.

Here's the issue: these presets only work well at one CG position (solo flight). With a pax in the back seat, manual trim adjustments must be made. I could probably use a switch to select a mode for this, but that's not user friendly. A side by side would work better.

One more thing. I have found that full nose up trim in the landing configuration gives me exactly the short final approach speed I need for landing. This can be achieved with careful rigging of the trim tab, or in my case, dumb luck.

V

Jpm757 07-24-2018 07:08 PM

I decided to go with manual flaps on my -7, they work great, simple, light and fast. I used a -6 weldment and modified cabin floor to accept the anchor arm.

Shawn25854 08-18-2018 11:19 AM

I, like Vern, was not happy with what's available so I also built my own programmable flap controller. I wanted a very simple version that with a single push of a button would deploy the flaps to a preprogrammed position. It can be set from one to three programmed positions the same way you program your car radio. Move the flaps to the desired position and use the memory preset. No counting, no holding buttons down and looking over my shoulder. I wanted a simple way to deploy flap so I could focus on flying the plane. It's capable of up to 10 amps of current. I have 4 lighted push buttons labeled UP, 10°, 20° and 30 °. They could be any degree you desire. I simply push whatever position I want and the flaps go there. The LED in the button is on solid for whatever position you are in. When I push a desired setting that button flashes while the flaps are moving and it goes solid when it reaches the programmed position and they stop. It works with any 12v actuator and the Ray Allen position sensor. Or actuators with built in position sensors. To get 40° of flaps will depend on the actuator and how it's mounted. I also have a manual backup in case of complete microprocessor failure.

It's been working great now for countless hours of flying.

rightrudder 08-18-2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymo (Post 1275771)
I considered installation of a sensor and purchased one from Ray Allen, along with running wires but after running the flaps up and down a few times, decided a 2 count for 10, 4 count for 20 and 8 count for full flaps works just fine.

My method too. Simple & reliable.

BillL 08-19-2018 09:56 AM

Count for down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymo (Post 1275771)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rightrudder (Post 1281832)
My method too. Simple & reliable.

+2 and have a mark inside the left aileron to keep my brain tuned. I hardly use the marks now @40 hrs. This is the way Mike taught. Seems to be working for me.

That said, the automated landing trim setting sounds interesting.

rv7guy2 08-19-2018 10:02 AM

Flap Position system for RV-7

Hi there
I have been using the Van's system for 10 years and am quite satisfied. It takes a little finessing to get the travel just right but once it's set it works great. Follow the instructions and make sure there is no binding of the sensing rod. I get the full 40 degrees with 3 clicks on the flap switch.

Dave RV-7
C-GCPD