What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting the ASA Oil Separator

Paul Eckenroth

Well Known Member
I have a ASA oil separator that I would like to install in my 9A. ASA recommends installation on the right firewall due to hose routing. My right firewall is occupied with electrical goodies so if I am going to use the separator it must be on the left. Has anyone done this and if so do you have pictures especially of hose routing. I would rather have a good plan and parts in hand before I tear things apart. Pictures can be posted or send to my email Paul at eckenroth dot com.

Thanks
Paul

I have a ASA oil separator that I would like to install in my 9A. ASA recommends installation on the right firewall due to hose routing. My right firewall is occupied with electrical goodies so if I am going to use the separator it must be on the left. Has anyone done this and if so do you have pictures especially of hose routing. I would rather have a good plan and parts in hand before I tear things apart. Pictures can be posted or send to my email Paul at eckenroth dot com.

Thanks
Paul

Paul,
Whatever fits. The best routing makes the breather-to-separator hose as long as possible, and sloped uphill for its entire length. Insulating it with firesleeve helps keep breather gas temperature high all the way to the separator.

The long sloped hose maximizes oil capture; liquid droplets coalesce on the hose walls and drain back to the accessory case fitting. High breather gas temperature keeps the high vapor pressure constituents (notably water and fuel) in vapor phase so they do not condense in the separator can, but rather go out the exit.

If forced to choose between the two, take the high breather temperature.

Dan
Thanks for the info. I would never have thought about keeping the temp up on the breather hose. Still hoping for pictures of hose routing.
Paul

Back