What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 tow plane

rwayne

Well Known Member
Anyone ever heard of using an RV10 as a glider tow plane? Seems reasonable. Any idea what mods would be needed besides the tow rope hookup? (Of course this would not be for hire or any commercial application.)

Unless the boiler plate Operating Limitations have changed, Experimental A/B aircraft are explicitly forbidden from acting as glider tow aircraft.

Hmmmm...... Cooling would be a problem. I'd also want to strengthen the structure the hook attaches in the tail.

Keep in mind when you're dragging a glider around you are going to need to pitch for 60-70 kts and climb to release altitude (for the glider). While the -10 is a remarkable airplane, I am doubtful of this application.

(Also, what he said ^^^)

If I held my -10 at 60 -70 knots for a full power climb at a site with ground temps near 100 the cylinders would melt and run out of the cowl. It would probably be a very short tow.

I have towed behind a Sterman at a contest. Those were the shortest 2,000' tows, it was hard to maintain a high tow position.

I have been a towpilot for 40 years. Even if it was legal, my -10 would require significant modification to the cowling to keep the engine cooled enough. This mod would then cause significant drag increase in cruise. It is my opinion that it is the wrong tool for the job...

Towing is in fact currently prohibited with Experimental/AB aircraft.

I tow my neighbor a lot in his L-19. As mentioned, that is a really sweet airplane for that function.

Vic

I have flown all three, the Callair has the best wing, the bird dog is fun to fly but comes in a distant third behind the Pawnee.

Yeah, but L-19 works pretty well too.

A long while back CrystalAire, CA had 3 Bird Dogs as tow planes.

A new owner found they were worth more to private owners as low cost war birds than as working tow planes. He sold them and bought Pawnees. :)

I'm sure the cost differential has only increased over the the years. I never did like the L-19 tows, for some reason the glider always got a potential wing down slamming from the propwash, more than the Pawnees. Perhaps it was from the higher stance?

As Bruce said earlier, the quickest tow plane was a 450 HP Stearman, the worse I had was a French Rallye.

wish we could tow with a 10..... :)

Even given all the legal restrictions and having towed a lot with a C-182, it intrigued me to consider....I think besides all the rules, and possible cooling issues (which I think might be minor, maybe not) I see the RV10 rudder as the big issue. Would be quite the "extension bracket" to give the needed high tow clearance to avoid interfering with the 10's rudder movement. So as much as I too think it would be cool to tow a glider with an experimental...not yet, but maybe someday and perhaps with a better plane fitting the mission.

Cheers & Happy flying

Back