What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Latch problem

8 Builder

I have a situation where when I trimmed the canopy latch and it seemed to be just right. It did not try to pull the canopy closed more than the pin seated in the block allowed it to close. When I attached the spring the trouble started. The spring wants to open the latch. I can't imagine that this can be right but it looks like the spring is attached correctly. Sorry picture upside down.???????

156abro.jpg

Last edited:
I not sure what the plans call for on the spring location but mine is on the other side. The latch works perfectly. Note the paint worn off on the canopy bow is from the latch hitting in the over closed position when the canopy is open - I should be more careful and will touch this up some time.

y_nkiuEkJOovsNc8lW-4uJbzERDdxuvoedE-PVpoTrgu2cb85DHGl75YHYXH1CrahmRFRJnEUhGQVdxgtHQ6mQgVx43MmcJizy9xjbwfZkh84xkOgfWIfgKQW9_8VctvIdXyBShe3jnvILwrAyZ9CMn7G6WlHVcnH3IgyUzC33opSxgjq3Azzj9cSQVmY1FWaxXXR5fQovoaOTpu0xDJeFsUacbEo6JXIHN1NvrQGHRESIZs1u_-gziIYq3g6N3Rak8s1qB8BoHA1W3gLhdknDRClBBvYLN-CEomTBU3oy_--jsjta8npDrtkdGAh6EV1egpWmqXgMLoXCZcJxnjlzff2Ic2MNuehf88Uz8zN82ZYlvmE-L9iicWkIopFhmG7nC5NH00ETZgmYz4bmvalJT6T6aZG3MTl8hKyCMuYnZRZ3nN4fWqJqvJePdd_30T0HKZh3XCUNbhJa7ya8LNvG5smHkhxuDKcfuLPcgdE1LetgTeFp1oy2B0ZXU0neFJASjTRWYlEt32wKN1RH0HsgeEjGYwh8Tn8NluhVsh9hJ2PhWzN-xzLHc0NiRkiCM_-7oOarjaB3-SXgGm8rISKDlNtrs_ifxeDr6Hcicf9od_ia1AckFjMMF6NcFKD4y6VZbUFSgR1PDS5Nhn5DmrCCDu=w800-h600-no

Last edited:
Problem solved

After getting some advice from Eric at Vans builder support, I re-did the latch arm and did not trim it as much. The extra pressure needed to make the frame close more was all it took to make the latch stay closed by itself.

Back