VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-12 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   My RV-12 is painted!! Finally! (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=160192)

pstraub 05-06-2018 07:14 PM

My RV-12 is painted!! Finally!

Well, almost a year to the day after my first flight, my RV-12 is finally painted! A huge thanks to Synergy Air, they did such a great job. Nobody will believe I built the plane, it looks too good! I flew the plane home from Eugene, OR on Friday afternoon, about a 3.5 hour flight down to my hangar at Lodi, CA. For anyone that is interested, I can highly recommend Synergy Air, the painter is just an awesome guy and super talented. BTW, I received ZERO compensation for saying this, just a super happy customer!!

As most of you probably know, Synergy Air has been building the SLSA version of the RV-12 for years (they are also a major 'builder assist' center for all Van's models). The painting was always outsourced to a local custom painter in Eugene (cars, bikes, motorhomes, etc). Last summer at Oshkosh, Vaden (Synergy owner) shared with me that they were ramping up to bring the painting in-house for better control. I was really excited about that, given their expertise in working with the RV-12. So I asked him to keep me posted since I was planning on painting my -12 in early 2018. He let me know when they were ready, so I scheduled everything and flew up there to start the process.

The entire experience was great, I stayed a few days to finalize paint scheme and colors, and also assist with taking my plane apart so I could do the stabilator and AST Service Bulletins in their shop (which allowed all the new hardware to be painted). I came back up after the painting was complete and performed my annual while everything was still apart. Kudos to Vaden and the entire Synergy team, all of them were a pleasure to work with, super professional and fun to be around. I am posting pictures, but they do not do justice to the paint job. Everything is painted, the logo, N-number, placards, checker, etc. (no vinyl)!! In a couple of the pics in their hangar, you may see the white buffing compound because he was still polishing.

rongawer 05-06-2018 07:29 PM

Paul - that is gorgeous! Glad you finally got it home. Canít wait to see it in person.

Mike S 05-06-2018 07:48 PM

Congratulations

Paul, congrats on the paint--------looking very nice.

Tony_T 05-06-2018 09:02 PM

Nice!

She looks gorgeous, Paul. Nice job.

rv9builder 05-06-2018 10:33 PM

Great looking paint scheme, Paul! Looks fantastic!

pstraub 05-06-2018 10:36 PM

Thanks very much guys!!

Bob Martin 05-07-2018 04:43 AM

Nice

That is a WOW paint job....nice details.
Congrats!

funflying 05-07-2018 07:05 AM

Very nice

Great color choices and the scheme is what makes the plane look sleek and speedy. Nice! Enjoy!

Driftdown 05-07-2018 01:25 PM

Sharp!
Silver is a great compliment to any color.:)

skydiverlv 05-07-2018 02:08 PM

How much weight did the pretty paint add to your plane?