What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question regarding plans...

Greetings everyone,

I just started my RV-8 construction and wanted to ask a question about the plans. This question is basically a ?move forward? kind of issue for a better understanding on reading the plans.

On the plans I have checked and I can?t find any reference for measurement as to where HS-412 belongs on HS-609PP, spar reinforcement. Looking at the plans it seems apparent that simply counting over 10 rivet holes from the outboard rivet hole puts HS-412PP in its place (and it?s mate on hole 11) but is this something I can rely on as I move through the kit? In the construction manual there is a call out for HS-708 to be 8 rivet holes from the end of HS-609 but there is not a similar reference for HS-412.

The same question although much more apparent applies HS-413PP? I mean, it seems obvious because only one piece fits in that pre-drilled location. However, if a person damages a part in construction without measurements it seems like it would not be possible to make your own replacement parts.

A few years ago I built and I am flying a Zenith CH-650. In those plans and construction manual the builder is expressly advised not to ?count? rivet holes shown in the plans to determine part placement. They call out measurements for everything even when the components are prepunched. Having come from that world it is hard for me to shift gears.

Can anyone offer advice to this?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

While I can't give you a specific answer to your question... The plans rely heavily on you being able to interpret the blueprints. The written plans will only direct you where to look on the blueprints to for your next steps...

Greetings everyone,

I just started my RV-8 construction and wanted to ask a question about the plans. This question is basically a ?move forward? kind of issue for a better understanding on reading the plans.

On the plans I have checked and I can?t find any reference for measurement as to where HS-412 belongs on HS-609PP, spar reinforcement. Looking at the plans it seems apparent that simply counting over 10 rivet holes from the outboard rivet hole puts HS-412PP in its place (and it?s mate on hole 11) but is this something I can rely on as I move through the kit? In the construction manual there is a call out for HS-708 to be 8 rivet holes from the end of HS-609 but there is not a similar reference for HS-412.

The same question although much more apparent applies HS-413PP? I mean, it seems obvious because only one piece fits in that pre-drilled location. However, if a person damages a part in construction without measurements it seems like it would not be possible to make your own replacement parts.

A few years ago I built and I am flying a Zenith CH-650. In those plans and construction manual the builder is expressly advised not to ?count? rivet holes shown in the plans to determine part placement. They call out measurements for everything even when the components are prepunched. Having come from that world it is hard for me to shift gears.

Can anyone offer advice to this?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

It's more of the count rivet hole mode on modern RVs. Most builders order replacement parts instead of recreating them. You have a pretty good indication you messed up or that you got a bad part if everything doesn't go together well as the assembly grows.

depends on model

the newer the model the fewer needs for a ruler. rv-4 all in measurements the rv-7 very little

I think your assumption is correct.
I just started this two weeks ago, so I am a little ahead of the point you reference.
The rear view DWG-3 does show 412-PP in position 10 & 11.
The manual does not give a specific location, so I used the DWG and counted holes.
(You can also see the position on the ISO view. It's consistent so that's some comfort)
I also agree with the 413PP location as well, if you screw the pooch, it looks like your only option would be to order another 603PP.
A few years ago, I built a set of RV-14 wings, those plans are a different format from the -8.
The -8 plans may take a little to get used to, but after you hold the actual parts in you hands, it makes a lot of sense and the format is quite enjoyable.

Last edited:
Back