What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-order education

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
What educational texts / dvd's would people recommend for someone in the seriously considering a RV14 stage?

I've read the bingelis books but these seemed a bit outdated.

I was thinking of the EAA book Sheet Metal Basics? https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/airventuretickets/2265457300000__sheet-metal-building-basics

Anyone know if you can get this in PDF?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Of course when the time comes I will try and do a local workshop to be shown the basics but want to begin to get my head around the concepts first.

Thanks - sorry if this is a silly question!

Reading before building

Download Chapter 5 off the Vans website. It has nearly everything you will need.

Not a silly question at all...

But a terribly important one. There are a few -14's flying in Australia so maybe one is relatively near you. You can check the RV white pages on this site for any builders that are near you as well. Any aviation groups that do educational programs for builders nearby? Also, the EAA has a fantastic section on their website with hours worth of instructional videos for homebuilders.

Also get a copy of the Aircraft Technicians Handbook and download AC43-13.1B or the Aussie equivalent.

And come to Oshkosh for Petes sake!! Best of luck

Thank all very much for the replies.

Tell me about it - Oshkosh is one of those bucket list trips but I just haven't reached deep enough into my bucket yet! One day!

Appreciate the links

Go to the EAA website and look for many Homebuilder Hints videos - they are short and show all sorts of processes and procedures related to airplane building. Far more interesting that reading AC43.13 - which is a great reference manual, but will leave you moire than a little confused if you use it as a textbook.

I took a 2-day EAA riveting class, then ordered a toolkit and the empennage as well as the Van's training kit.

Most of you education will happen after you get started. You will have to order replacement parts and you will make lots of mistakes but an expert is only someone who has made all the mistakes.

It's a process, mostly fun, sometimes frustrating, always rewarding.

There is a pretty large group of builders in the Sydney area. All great guys! Even a couple of 14's under construction. Go see them, and see for your self.
Tom

Back