What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Post questions here for new Garmin Transponders!

Jetguy

Well Known Member
For the G3X guys in regards to the new transponders just released.
Will they fit in the same slot as the 327?
Can you pipe out the weather and traffic into a 796 via Bluetooth or wire to replace the GDL39?

Aera 795/796 with GTX 345

For the G3X guys in regards to the new transponders just released.
Will they fit in the same slot as the 327?
Can you pipe out the weather and traffic into a 796 via Bluetooth or wire to replace the GDL39?

Hello John,

The GTX 345 transponder with ADS-B Out and built-in dual frequency ADS-B traffic and weather receiver uses a different rack than the GTX 327, but it is the same width (6.30 in.) and height (1.65 in.) as the GTX 327, so it is a relatively easy upgrade. Additionally, the GTX 345 supports internal options for a FAR 91.227 compliant position source and even an optional altitude encoder.

GTX345Angle.jpg

Glad you asked about the 796. Our team just finished developing and testing the new Connext-over-hardwire (RS-232) ADS-B traffic/weather/AHRS protocol for the Aera 795/796, so yes, Aera 79X with V4.90 software will connect over either hardwire or Bluetooth to the GTX 345 and display traffic and weather.

The Aera 796 and Aera 660 even use the AHRS built into the GTX 345 to incorporate pitch/roll/slip-skid data on the 3D Vision page.

3D Vision with Map and GTX 345 Attitude
3DwithAttitudeandMap.jpg

Full Screen 3D Vision with GTX 345 Attitude
3DwithAttitude.jpg

Map with ADS-B Traffic
MapwithTraffic.jpg

Connext Serial Port Configuration Page
ConnextInterfaceSetupPage.jpg

Bluetooth Setup Page Showing GTX345 Connection
BluetoothSetupGTX345.jpg

GTX345BluetoothPage.png

Datalink Information Page Showing GTX 345 in Use
GTXDatalinkInformationPage.jpg

Just attach an Aera 79X bare wire mount to your instrument panel with 4 screws, wire up the GTX and optional traffic/terrain/obstacle alert audio, and you can have a great navigator with ADS-B traffic and weather. The GTX 345 has 4 serial ports, so there is plenty of opportunity to implement a high reliability, no-fuss interface.

cf-lg.jpg

796_660_GTX345_Wiring.png

Thanks for your interest,
Steve

Last edited:
Is the depth of the 345 the same or less than the 327?

Hi John,

The behind panel depth for the GTX 327 is 8.77 in. to the back of the connector backshell.

This same depth is 10.09 in. for the GTX 335/345 (1.32 in. longer).

Just for reference, the GTX 330ES depth is 11.25 in. to the back of the connector, so the GTX 335/345 is 1.16 in. shorter than the GTX 330ES.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hi John,

The behind panel depth for the GTX 327 is 8.77 in. to the back of the connector backshell.

This same depth is 10.09 in. for the GTX 345 (1.32 in. longer).

Just for reference, the GTX 330ES depth is 11.25 in. to the back of the connector, so the GTX 345 is 1.16 in. shorter than the GTX 330ES.

Thanks,
Steve

That's too bad, because there is no extra room behind the 327 in my -9A without punching a hole through the tip-up bulkhead where the canopy release lever is. That area is FULL of wiring and would be a nightmare to accommodate at this point. Makes them worth boat anchors for me as a retrofit.......

Navworx just keeps looking like the best option out there.

John,
I have dual G3x's, GTN650, and 327 transponder, in my RV8, what would your recommendation be for easiest, most cost effective, 2020 compliant, ADSB upgrade?
Dick

John,
I have dual G3x's, GTN650, and 327 transponder, in my RV8, what would your recommendation be for easiest, most cost effective, 2020 compliant, ADSB upgrade?
Dick

Hello Dick,

You are most of the way there (to 2020 compliance) with your GTN 650. One option would be to remove the GTX327 and install a remote mounted GTX23ES for about $2,200 and you are all set. I did the same thing to upgrade my G3X homebuilt. The wiring changes are super simple. The GTX23ES uses the same serial port to the ADAHRS as the GTX 327. You just have to add a shielded pair of wires from the GTN to the GTX23ES to provide the ADS-B+ position data. This is all shown on page 24-18 of the Rev. V G3X Installation Manual.
GTX23ES.jpg

While not required for 2020 compliance, you can also install a GDL39R dual frequency ADS-B receiver for $800 and receive free traffic and weather.
pd-01-md.jpg

Shoot us an email if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Garmin Experts,
These Transponders look great, I have a few questions:

1) Am I correct thinking that a GTX 345 (with integrated WAAS/GPS) could replace a GTX 330 ES, a GDL 39, and a GPS 20A?

2) When compatible with a G3X Touch (currently estimated Q3 2016,) could the GTX 345 be hardwired to both a PFD and a MFD or will one display need to be bluetooth connected the way a GDL 39 is now?

3) When your website reads, "Compatibility is extended to the G3X? Touch glass flight display and is expected in Q3 2016" does this refer to its full ADS-B IN functionality, i.e. replacing a GDL 39 or would the ADS-B OUT not work before then either? My question is: Could one buy a GTX 345 now to replace a GTX 330 ES to give a G3X Touch panel a FAA 2020 WAAS position source and then when "compatibility is extended" this autumn get rid of the GDL 39 and use the GTX 345 for both IN and OUT ADS-B?

Right now I'm facing having to buy a GPS 20A to make my ADS-B OUT work again because, on January 6th 2016, the FAA stopped accepting my G3X Touch's GPS signal as an approved ADS-B WAAS Source. I'd rather not buy the GPS 20A if I'm going to eliminate it again by the end of the year.

Thanks for your help,
-Craig

I have a PM8000BT, GTN650 wired on the bench to accept a GDL 88 via time mark, ethernet, unswitched audio and traffic mute

How would the new gtx345 be wired to the GTN?

I see in the wiring diagram you posted---and repeated below, that the data is transmitted via a rs 232 setup.

Is this data in some secret Garmin code, or is it something that is a standard format that other EFIS brands can understand??

Aera79XtoGTX345Wiring.png

Garmin Experts,
These Transponders look great, I have a few questions:

1) Am I correct thinking that a GTX 345 (with integrated WAAS/GPS) could replace a GTX 330 ES, a GDL 39, and a GPS 20A?

2) When compatible with a G3X Touch (currently estimated Q3 2016,) could the GTX 345 be hardwired to both a PFD and a MFD or will one display need to be bluetooth connected the way a GDL 39 is now?

3) When your website reads, "Compatibility is extended to the G3X? Touch glass flight display and is expected in Q3 2016" does this refer to its full ADS-B IN functionality, i.e. replacing a GDL 39 or would the ADS-B OUT not work before then either? My question is: Could one buy a GTX 345 now to replace a GTX 330 ES to give a G3X Touch panel a FAA 2020 WAAS position source and then when "compatibility is extended" this autumn get rid of the GDL 39 and use the GTX 345 for both IN and OUT ADS-B?

Right now I'm facing having to buy a GPS 20A to make my ADS-B OUT work again because, on January 6th 2016, the FAA stopped accepting my G3X Touch's GPS signal as an approved ADS-B WAAS Source. I'd rather not buy the GPS 20A if I'm going to eliminate it again by the end of the year.

Thanks for your help,
-Craig

Hello Craig,

Good questions.

The base 010-01216-01 GTX 345 1090ES ADS-B Out transponder comes standard with built-in dual frequency ADS-B receiver, attitude sensors, and Bluetooth interface. All that is needed with this unit to complete the ADS-B In/Out capability is an external FAR 91.227 compliant position source like the GTN 6XX/7XX, GNS 4XXW/5XXW or the GPS 20A.

The 010-01216-41 GTX 345 w/GPS model is the same as the base model, but adds a built-in FAR 91.227 compliant position source. This model does actually perform all the functions of the GTX 330ES/GDL 39 3D/GPS 20A in one box.

Yes, when the G3X Touch software changes are complete (which are quite extensive), the GTX 345 may be hardwired to your GSU 25 for data and control, and to both the PFD and MFD for a direct feed of ADS-B traffic and weather to these displays.

There is no support to buy a GTX 345 now and replace a GTX 330ES and/or GDL 39 in a G3X Touch system. You will need to wait until the complete development/testing is finished and new system software is released which supports this new device.

Since you now have all of the components needed for full ADS-B In/Out except for the GPS 20A, you could hardly go wrong by buying the GPS 20A now and be done. It's entirely up to you if you prefer to have a GTX 345 w/GPS with everything in one box.

The part numbers listed above are for the panel mount GTX 345 and GTX 345 w/GPS, but there are also remote mount versions of these transponders which may be remotely mounted and controlled (when software development is complete).

Thanks,
Steve

Nice

Nice one Steve
So in my case (hardwired 796, GDL39 3D, GTX-327 etc) all I would have to do is replace the 327 with the 010-01216-41 GTX 345 w/GPS and connect to my RS232 daisy chain, remove the GDL39 and I would be good to go for 2020?

Couple of quick questions:
1. Will the existing transponder antenna and cable be OK or will they have to be replaced.
2. I assume the 345 will provide the GPS position to both the 796 and the iPad a la the GDL 39
2. As you are modifying/updating the 796 software dont forget about some of the other punchlist/desires that us 796 owners have discussed with you in the past:D

Figs

Last edited:
Question for Garmin Experts.

My RV-8 is equipped with a Garmin 430 W Navigator, Garmin GTX 327 Transponder, and an AFS 4500 EFIS.

I want to become ADS-B 2020 compliant and have been saving up to buy and install a Garmin GTX 330ES for that reason.

If I pulled the Garmin 327 and installed the base 010-01216-01 GTX 345 1090ES ADS-B Out transponder standard with built-in dual frequency ADS-B receiver, attitude sensors, and Bluetooth interface and got the latest update on my Garmin 430 W...

1. Could I connect my Ipad with Foreflight or Garmin Pilot using the GTX 345 Bluetooth interface to receive ADS-B in traffic, WX? or do I need Connext to accomplish that?

2. Will I be able to see traffic on the screen of my Garmin 430 W?

3. Will my existing Garmin GTX 327 antenna and coax cable likely work with the GTX 345?

I like the all in one integration in this Garmin 345 offering and it is priced less than a Garmin GTX 330ES.

Thank you,

Well this thread is really starting to fire on all 4 cylinders.:D G3x guys is it to early to release the owner manual and the installation manual for the new transponders?:p

I have a garmin 320 transponder. Will the garmin 335 tray fit the height and width of that tray? I understand that it is a little over an inch deeper.

Hello Craig,

Good questions.

The base 010-01216-01 GTX 345 1090ES ADS-B Out transponder comes standard with built-in dual frequency ADS-B receiver, attitude sensors, and Bluetooth interface. All that is needed with this unit to complete the ADS-B In/Out capability is an external FAR 91.227 compliant position source like the GTN 6XX/7XX, GNS 4XXW/5XXW or the GPS 20A.

The 010-01216-41 GTX 345 w/GPS model is the same as the base model, but adds a built-in FAR 91.227 compliant position source. This model does actually perform all the functions of the GTX 330ES/GDL 39 3D/GPS 20A in one box.

Yes, when the G3X Touch software changes are complete (which are quite extensive), the GTX 345 may be hardwired to your GSU 25 for data and control, and to both the PFD and MFD for a direct feed of ADS-B traffic and weather to these displays.

There is no support to buy a GTX 345 now and replace a GTX 330ES and/or GDL 39 in a G3X Touch system. You will need to wait until the complete development/testing is finished and new system software is released which supports this new device.

Since you now have all of the components needed for full ADS-B In/Out except for the GPS 20A, you could hardly go wrong by buying the GPS 20A now and be done. It's entirely up to you if you prefer to have a GTX 345 w/GPS with everything in one box.

The part numbers listed above are for the panel mount GTX 345 and GTX 345 w/GPS, but there are also remote mount versions of these transponders which may be remotely mounted and controlled (when software development is complete).

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks for the answers Steve. I'm going ahead with the GPS 20A for now and will revisit the GTX 345 when it's working with G3X Touch systems.

Nice one Steve
So in my case (hardwired 796, GDL39 3D, GTX-327 etc) all I would have to do is replace the 327 with the 010-01216-41 GTX 345 w/GPS and connect to my RS232 daisy chain, remove the GDL39 and I would be good to go for 2020?

Couple of quick questions:
1. Will the existing transponder antenna and cable be OK or will they have to be replaced.
2. I assume the 345 will provide the GPS position to both the 796 and the iPad a la the GDL 39
3. As you are modifying/updating the 796 software dont forget about some of the other punchlist/desires that us 796 owners have discussed with you in the past:D

Figs

Hello Dave,

It is always good to hear from our neighbors down in Oklahoma. :)

A couple of posters (who should know better) have commented that these transponders are only for certified aircraft, but as in the case of your RV-7 with an Aera 796, we know that isn't true.

Yes, you are correct that the GTX 345 with GPS can be an all-in-one solution for ADS-B In/Out which even replaces the GDL 39 if you want it to. There is even a built-in altitude encoder option (011-03080-00) you can add for $195 if you don't otherwise have this available.

Your existing transponder antenna will probably work, but there is a list of compatible antennas in the installation manual, so if you shoot us an email with information on your antenna, we can check.

2. I assume the 345 will provide the GPS position to both the 796 and the iPad a la the GDL 39.
Your GDL39 doesn't actually provide GPS information to the 796. Quite the contrary - the 796 is the GPS rock star and provides this information to the GDL39 which then shares it with a mobile device if needed. Similarly, the GTX 345 does not provide GPS data to the 796.

3. As you are modifying/updating the 796 software dont forget about some of the other punchlist/desires that us 796 owners have discussed with you in the past:D
Message received. As you can see, we didn't forget about the 796 when the opportunity arose to give it new capabilities to be a great ADS-B traffic and weather display for these new transponders. We are just a little team in a little market, but we do our best.

Thanks,
Steve

Question for Garmin Experts.

My RV-8 is equipped with a Garmin 430 W Navigator, Garmin GTX 327 Transponder, and an AFS 4500 EFIS.

I want to become ADS-B 2020 compliant and have been saving up to buy and install a Garmin GTX 330ES for that reason.

If I pulled the Garmin 327 and installed the base 010-01216-01 GTX 345 1090ES ADS-B Out transponder standard with built-in dual frequency ADS-B receiver, attitude sensors, and Bluetooth interface and got the latest update on my Garmin 430 W...

1. Could I connect my Ipad with Foreflight or Garmin Pilot using the GTX 345 Bluetooth interface to receive ADS-B in traffic, WX? or do I need Connext to accomplish that?

3. Will my existing Garmin GTX 327 antenna and coax cable likely work with the GTX 345?

I like the all in one integration in this Garmin 345 offering and it is priced less than a Garmin GTX 330ES.

Thank you,

Hello Charlie,

Thank you for your interest in this product.

We appreciate that this "Connext" stuff can be confusing. Both the hardwire and Bluetooth interfaces in the GTX 345 speak Connext protocol, so no, you don't need a FlightStream 110/210 or anything else to directly connect a mobile device running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight to be able to receive and display traffic, weather, and attitude data from the GTX 345.

Yes, as shown on the "Display Compatibility" page of the GTX 345 web page, the 430W is able to interface to the GTX 345 and display the traffic and weather shown on that web page.

Your existing transponder antenna will probably work, but there is a list of compatible antennas in the installation manual, so if you shoot us an email with information on your antenna, we can check.

Thanks,
Steve

Well this thread is really starting to fire on all 4 cylinders.:D G3x guys is it to early to release the owner manual and the installation manual for the new transponders?:p

Hello John,

Sorry, but these manuals are not released yet. Shouldn't be long.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Dave,

It is always good to hear from our neighbors down in Oklahoma. :)

Yes, you are correct that the GTX 345 with GPS can be an all-in-one solution for ADS-B In/Out which even replaces the GDL 39 if you want it to. There is even a built-in altitude encoder option (011-03080-00) you can add for $195 if you don't otherwise have this available.

Your GDL39 doesn't actually provide GPS information to the 796. Quite the contrary - the 796 is the GPS rock star and provides this information to the GDL39 which then shares it with a mobile device if needed. Similarly, the GTX 345 does not provide GPS data to the 796.

Message received. As you can see, we didn't forget about the 796 when the opportunity arose to give it new capabilities to be a great ADS-B traffic and weather display for these new transponders. We are just a little team in a little market, but we do our best.

Thanks,
Steve
Well hello Steve from another Okie down south. In addition to Figg's questions about the 796, I have a similar situation but ever so slightly different. In my case, instead of running the 796 I am running a 695 that is hardwired to a GDL39. The GDL39 is feeding the 695 ADS-B In data in addition to feeding, via Bluetooth, that information to my Ipad. The 695 is feeding the GPS data to everything else in my panel. My big dilemma with 2020 compliance is getting a certified WAAS signal in my panel.

• Am I correct in that the 345 will provide the necessary certifiable navigation WAAS GPS signal the FAA requires for 2020 compliance?
  • Will the 345 feed all ADS-B WX and Traffic information to the 695 and the Ipad? If so, will I be able to use the exisiting hard wire connections I have in place or will I be required to change out the existing hard wiring for something else?
  • Will the 345 feed all ADS-B In data (WX and Traffic) to Foreflight?
  • There has been talk on here about legal navigation using a certified navigation instrument in order to comply with legal IFR filing. Could you expound upon the concept of the prospect of having a unit such as these new 'all-in-one' units providing that capability? Is this an unrealistic expectation, or is this a realistic possibility?

Hello Charlie,

Thank you for your interest in this product.

We appreciate that this "Connext" stuff can be confusing. Both the hardwire and Bluetooth interfaces in the GTX 345 speak Connext protocol, so no, you don't need a FlightStream 110/210 or anything else to directly connect a mobile device running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight to be able to receive and display traffic, weather, and attitude data from the GTX 345.

Yes, as shown on the "Display Compatibility" page of the GTX 345 web page, the 430W is able to interface to the GTX 345 and display the traffic and weather shown on that web page.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Thank for the response and good news. I think this is a viable solution for my ADS-B Out/In needs. Way to go Garmin.

I have a garmin 320 transponder. Will the garmin 335 tray fit the height and width of that tray? I understand that it is a little over an inch deeper.

Hi John,

Yes, fortunately the GTX 320, GTX 327, GTX 330, and now the GTX 335/345 are all roughly 1.65" tall by 6.30" wide.

You should be able to install the new GTX rack in place of your GTX 320 rack if you have the depth.

Steve

Garmin Experts,

Configuration:

Garmin GTX 345 Transponder, Garmin 430W Nav/Com and a compatible mobile device (Ipad) running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight.

1. Can I push a flight plan from a compatible mobile device running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight to the Garmin 430W?

Thank you,

My setup:

GNS 480 and MX-20 display (basic, no chartview or old school traffic).

What are my options with the new transponders and Garmin Pilot? Can any of them be remote controlled by the 480 like the -330 can?

Thanks!

I see in the wiring diagram you posted---and repeated below, that the data is transmitted via a rs 232 setup.

Is this data in some secret Garmin code, or is it something that is a standard format that other EFIS brands can understand??

Hello Mike,

The serial ports on the GTX 345 support a number of different serial formats - some new, some legacy, some only used by Garmin products, some by others.

If you review the "Compatibility" page on the GTX 345 web page, you will see that there is a "Display Compatibility" section that mentions traffic and weather outputs for 3rd party displays.

The traffic and weather supported by Foreflight mobile are even shown on that page.

Anyone considering interfacing to these transponders should review the available serial formats described in the installation manual and determine which are best for their needs.

Steve

Well hello Steve from another Okie down south. In addition to Figg's questions about the 796, I have a similar situation but ever so slightly different. In my case, instead of running the 796 I am running a 695 that is hardwired to a GDL39. The GDL39 is feeding the 695 ADS-B In data in addition to feeding, via Bluetooth, that information to my Ipad. The 695 is feeding the GPS data to everything else in my panel. My big dilemma with 2020 compliance is getting a certified WAAS signal in my panel.

Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you again. About time for some more Kansas BBQ at K81 We-Be-Smokin on the way back from Oshkosh....:)

[*]Am I correct in that the 345 will provide the necessary certifiable navigation WAAS GPS signal the FAA requires for 2020 compliance?
Yes, either the GTX 345 with GPS or the GTX 335 with GPS contain the built in 2020 compliant position source that is missing in your installation.

[*]Will the 345 feed all ADS-B WX and Traffic information to the 695 and the Ipad? If so, will I be able to use the exisiting hard wire connections I have in place or will I be required to change out the existing hard wiring for something else?
The GPSMAP 695 doesn't currently interface to the GTX 345, and we aren't sure if there will be much demand since the GDL39 you have now provides the same ADS-B traffic and weather to your 695 and iPad. You could certainly consider installing a GTX 335 with GPS for ADS-B Out and keep your current dual frequency ADS-B in receiver. The GTX 335 with GPS is $3,795 and the GTX 345 with GPS is $5,795, so you can save $2K if you continue to use your existing GDL39 for ADS-B In.

[*]Will the 345 feed all ADS-B In data (WX and Traffic) to Foreflight?
Yes, the GTX 345 includes a Bluetooth interface that is supported by Foreflight to receive traffic and weather.

[*]There has been talk on here about legal navigation using a certified navigation instrument in order to comply with legal IFR filing. Could you expound upon the concept of the prospect of having a unit such as these new 'all-in-one' units providing that capability? Is this an unrealistic expectation, or is this a realistic possibility?
We don't currently see the FAR 91.227 compliant position source built into the transponder as satisfying the IFR flight requirements for a certified WAAS GPS IFR navigator like the GNS or GTN.

Steve

Hello Mike,

The serial ports on the GTX 345 support a number of different serial formats - some new, some legacy, some only used by Garmin products, some by others.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the response-----appreciated it.

Methinks this broadens your potential customer base considerably. I know that if it would not interface with my GRT units, there is no way I would consider one-------as it is, I definitely need to take a closer look.

One more thing, it looks like this can be remote mounted and controlled through the GTN 650 like the 327--correct? Panel space is an issue for me.

Last edited:
I think the price is a little too high...

Garmin,

I love this product. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping someone would come up with. The design looks great!

And I don't mean to be a smart aleck, but why do it cost so dang much? It cost $316 more than the three components it replaces. I would expect at least a little cost reduction, from consolidating three products into one. Fewer boxes, less packing material, less shipping, fewer components; enclosures, cables, brackets, chargers, manuals... Additionally it seems like the design activity should cost less because Garmin already has design expertise from developing each of the three predecessors.

GTX330ES ------ $3995
GPS 20A -------- $845
GDL 39 --------- $639
Total ----------- $5479

GTX 345 w/GPS $5795

Is this the introductory price? Would it cost less if there was a direct competitor?

Again, I don't mean to be disrespectful or rude. I just want to give some feedback and let you know that I think the price is a little on the high side.

Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you again. About time for some more Kansas BBQ at K81 We-Be-Smokin on the way back from Oshkosh....:)

Yes, either the GTX 345 with GPS or the GTX 335 with GPS contain the built in 2020 compliant position source that is missing in your installation.

The GPSMAP 695 doesn't currently interface to the GTX 345, and we aren't sure if there will be much demand since the GDL39 you have now provides the same ADS-B traffic and weather to your 695 and iPad. You could certainly consider installing a GTX 335 with GPS for ADS-B Out and keep your current dual frequency ADS-B in receiver. The GTX 335 with GPS is $3,795 and the GTX 345 with GPS is $5,795, so you can save $2K if you continue to use your existing GDL39 for ADS-B In.

Yes, the GTX 345 includes a Bluetooth interface that is supported by Foreflight to receive traffic and weather.

We don't currently see the FAR 91.227 compliant position source built into the transponder as satisfying the IFR flight requirements for a certified WAAS GPS IFR navigator like the GNS or GTN.

Steve
Steve, thanks for the info. All very good. As for the 695, maybe its time to think about upgrading.

And FYI, Figgs has placed on his new pilotsareus.com calendar a flight up to We-Be-Smokin on Feb 20th. If the WX is good I hope we can make it up that weekend. If you are around come out and join us that Saturday.

Garmin Experts,

Configuration:

Garmin GTX 345 Transponder, Garmin 430W Nav/Com and a compatible mobile device (Ipad) running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight.

1. Can I push a flight plan from a compatible mobile device running Garmin Pilot or Foreflight to the Garmin 430W?

Thank you,

Hello Charlie,

You would need to install a Flight Stream 210 unit connected via hardwire to both the GNS and GTX 345 to be able to send flight plans to the GNS 430W.

The Flight Stream 210 will receive attitude, traffic, and weather from the GTX 345, so your mobile device would have just a single Bluetooth interface to receive this data and share flight plans.

When the Flight Stream 210 is installed, you will need to turn off the Bluetooth interface on the GTX 345.

Steve

Last edited:
Hello Charlie,

We are checking on this and will update this posting when we have an answer.

Steve

Steve,
I have the same question regarding the 430 (non W). Can you push flight plans to it, and also can you display targets on it?

Steve,
I have the same question regarding the 430 (non W). Can you push flight plans to it, and also can you display targets on it?

Hello Jeff,

Sorry, but the GNS 430 (non-W) software isn't capable of supporting flight plan transfers or interfacing with these new transponders to display ADS-B traffic and weather.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Charlie,

You would need to install a Flight Stream 210 unit connected via hardwire to both the GNS and GTX 345 to be able to send flight plans to the GNS 430W.

The Flight Stream 210 will receive attitude, traffic, and weather from the GTX 345, so your mobile device would have just a single Bluetooth interface to receive this data and share flight plans.

When the Flight Stream 210 is installed, you will need to turn off the Bluetooth interface on the GTX 345.

Steve

Thank you Steve.

My setup:

GNS 480 and MX-20 display (basic, no chartview or old school traffic).

What are my options with the new transponders and Garmin Pilot? Can any of them be remote controlled by the 480 like the -330 can?

Thanks!

Hello,
Thanks for the question. My apologies for not jumping in on this sooner to assist Steve. as you can imagine on the certified side of the house we've been pretty busy :).
as for the GTX 3X5 interface with the GNS 480, yes the 480 will control the remote GTX units. There is no display capability on the GMS 480 for the traffic or weather data. on the GMX 20/200 units the GTX unit does have the ability to emulate the GDL 90 data and can send this data for display to the MX 20/GMX 200.

let me know if there are any other questions.

Can the installation and operation manuals for these be made available?

I'm more interested in the 335.

Thanks,
Dave

Can the installation and operation manuals for these be made available?

I'm more interested in the 335.

Thanks,
Dave

Hello Dave,
unfortunately no, we're still obtaining STC approval and the manuals are not completed as of yet. these will be available to your local Garmin dealer hopefully by late next week.

For the Garmin Support folks:

I see the GTX 345 Transponder is now listed on your web page. Is the install manual available to the Garmin dealers at this time also?

Hello Dave,
unfortunately no, we're still obtaining STC approval and the manuals are not completed as of yet. these will be available to your local Garmin dealer hopefully by late next week.
So given that Garmin is providing these units to EAB builders to install into their Experimental aircraft you are saying that we still have to go to a Garmin dealer/installer in order to see/view/utilize an installation manual even though we are not required by any regulation to have said installer install our unit? If we are installing these units in our experimental aircraft ourselves you are saying we are on our own to figure it out OR pay the piper and have a Garmin dealer install it? Not sure what to think about this issue of not being able to gain access to the installation manual.

So given that Garmin is providing these units to EAB builders to install into their Experimental aircraft you are saying that we still have to go to a Garmin dealer/installer in order to see/view/utilize an installation manual even though we are not required by any regulation to have said installer install our unit? If we are installing these units in our experimental aircraft ourselves you are saying we are on our own to figure it out OR pay the piper and have a Garmin dealer install it? Not sure what to think about this issue of not being able to gain access to the installation manual.

Hi Steve,

No worries. As mentioned in my email, your Garmin dealer will provide everything needed for a successful installation of a GTX 335/345 (including the manual), and if this doesn't happen just come to us directly and we will make sure you have what you need.

We certainly understand that EAB builders/owners are not prevented by 14 CFR 43.3 from installing this product and many will choose to do so.

Thanks again,
Steve

Hi Steve, So when will these units (GTX 345) actually be available from the avionics dealers for sale and installation?

Duane

Hi Steve, So when will these units (GTX 345) actually be available from the avionics dealers for sale and installation?

Duane

Hi Duane,

We're engineers, so we are better at answering questions about how things work and interface, but we know that dealers are accepting orders and should be receiving stock soon.

Steve

Question to Steve:

The GTX 345 Installation Manual states that a fan is not included or needed. The mechanical drawings Figure B-2 shows a VENT opening in the unit and the rack.

Question; is this vent opening only used if a fan is used on the back of the chassis, or do I need to mirror the vent opening in my radio stack side plates?

Question to Steve:

The GTX 345 Installation Manual states that a fan is not included or needed. The mechanical drawings Figure B-2 shows a VENT opening in the unit and the rack.

Question; is this vent opening only used if a fan is used on the back of the chassis, or do I need to mirror the vent opening in my radio stack side plates?

Hello Noel,

Good question.

The side vent was added to the design just in case a fan was needed, but a fan is not needed and neither is the side vent.

You may install the GTX 335/345 in a radio stack and not worry about blocking this side vent in the rack.

The installation manual is not yet production released, and we are adding this guidance before doing so.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Question to the experts:

It looks like I will be replacing my America-King blind encoder (outputs Gray code). The GTX 345 can be optioned with a pressure sensor module (011-03080-00) and it attaches to the Static system in place of the blind encoder.

So, the Txponder gets the needed altitude info. Does the GTX 345 also output this info in a RS-232 interface or ARINC interface available to other devices?

Thanks.

Question to the experts:

It looks like I will be replacing my America-King blind encoder (outputs Gray code). The GTX 345 can be optioned with a pressure sensor module (011-03080-00) and it attaches to the Static system in place of the blind encoder.

So, the Txponder gets the needed altitude info. Does the GTX 345 also output this info in a RS-232 interface or ARINC interface available to other devices?

Thanks.

Hello Noel,

Good question.

Yes, one of the 4 GTX 345 RS-232 ports may be configured for "ALT FMT 1" format which transmits the pressure altitude data from the built-in pressure sensor module.

It is a fairly standard serial encoder format that is probably usable by a wide variety of devices. The ASCII character format of this transmission is documented in Appendix A of the installation manual.

Thanks,
Steve

Back