What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preparing for QB Fuse+Wings

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
My QB Fuse+Wings is being picked up by the truck tomorrow, I expect it sometime towards the end of the week.

For those of you that have received QB Fuses or Wings, any notes?

Thanks for any advice.

I just got my QB Wings & Fuselage delivered on 23 August by Partain via P&M Express. I chose Partain because there was no $950 crating charge, no need for a forklift to unload the crates on arrival and Van's told me that they never had any QB Kit damage reported by those using Partain. I was also assured that the driver and myself would be able to unload it which turned out to be no problem at all. If you did not use Partain, your requirements to unload might be different.

I placed the wings in a cradle which took me about 4 hours to build and that worked out great. I placed the fuselage on a moving blanket on the hangar floor which seemed fine since it was shipped laying on the trailer floor and I've seen many fuselages on a hangar floor before attaching the gear. I also had some metal shelving ready to place the flaps and ailerons on with moving blankets on the shelves to protect the surfaces and also stack all the other parts and hardware on.

Suggest taking the lid off the crate, remove contents, flip the crate over and put the QB fuse on top. (Use a moving blanket between the fuse and crate.) it will raise the fuse about 12+ inches off the floor making it much easier to work on. Plus the width of the crate neatly matches the width of the fuse. Worked (...continues to work) for me.

Lars

I?m planning on ordering QB wings and fuselage soon. I?m now arranging space for the crates. I?m assuming the crate sizes on Van?s website are given as LxWxH, so one wing crate is a lot higher than it is wide. The other is a lot wider than it is high. Does that sound right?

Snoho3, your suggestion to use an inverted fuselage crate as a base for the fuselage threw me. It appears that the crate is about 53? high. Did I misinterpret your comment?

Mine didn't come in crates, just well packed with another 3-4 sets of wings and fuses in the back of a big truck .. I did the professional delivery service .. expensive but worth the $$ considering how long it will take to get replacements if there is damage.

Back