What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fabricate W-726 tie-down spacers without bandsaw?

guidoism

I don't own a bandsaw or drill press. How might I fabricate these without these tools? I figure I can buy a $10 hole-saw for my air drill for the hole, but for actually cutting the pieces out of the stock what should I use?

I have a electric jigsaw. Would it be possible to use that with the right blade? Or should I do it by hand with some other tool?

You could make the length cuts with a hand "Hacksaw" with appropriate metal cutting blade and of course file and polish as needed.
If you make the hole with a hole saw, I would recommend using a slower turning electric drill motor as opposed to your higher rpm air drill.

Ian types faster than I do. I was about to suggest that you not use an air drill with a hole saw. Hole saws need slower turning and air drills have no power at slow speeds.
Also PLEASE use clamps when using a hole saw. Those thing can get nasty!

I guess you are talking about the round holes, Ace hardware has hole cutters for your drill or drill press. I didn't cut the holes out on my W-706.
These work pretty well for cutting AB or AA or there is always the hack saw:
htps://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-heavy-duty-electric-cut-off-tool-61944.html

You should look into getting a band saw you'll probably need one if you are building a standard kit and here is an EAA video on how to cut aluminum with a band saw:
http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/vide...inum-using-a-bandsaw?autoStart=true&q=bandsaw

Last edited:
I think the hole is kind of optional. You are asking for trouble trying to drill that hole without a good clamp and drill press! Count you fingers! (drill both holes first, before you cut to length)

For the basic cuts, you'd be amazed what you can do with a vise, hacksaw, and files. Lately I find it faster to just grab the hacksaw for most cuts. Of course, I have a mill to true up the edges on the thicker stock.

Put a benchtop drill press and belt sander on you Christmas list!

Hacksaw

Like Mike W said, use a hacksaw. I used a vise and hacksaw for cutting the W726 spacers to size and used my unibit for the hole. I would echo what others have said and drill the hole before cutting to size. It makes it easier to clamp the piece down while drilling. BTW, the hole diameter is supposed to be 1" IIRC but I only had a 3/4" unibit so I left it at that. I don't think the hole diameter is structurally critical - it's just weight savings.

I also used my hacksaw and files for cutting the T405 tank brackets. You can't make curved cuts very well (at least I couldn't) so I just broke them up into a couple straight cuts and took it down to the cut line with my file and belt sander. Finish up with scotch bright wheel. Worked out well.

hf8tWCgH9bn85LYEFN-FQHkpKJuwZ0Md5o3gtjxhJ_STFKruUpwW6tr7d-1NKbbeYgD7lZkF8Afg22FlGRyzh3Gtq8ZGFCGf6MX0l9X76Pd8f_cBYV06zOyTr4fI0cbiORyasQXsIM8YB8EJucc87nKQMWOi8f2kGKS-gbcrL-F0H1ZHmoAld8oYE7x9Zm1opjeoqhlkZSxaBb4kSOow1CWWTnMZyQtftGW99xCI91__dIfAfMI0yOgHzAUQDqok71dg2PaGGCW5-wt-kiD6bOMiyJbgwgM_wxU0UF2k2Stwo88GL7L81okJwk-s4W56RAwqsiwUtSzHM4S9ulPx8KJGqSoU_i8M5dq1tpGGAE1iQrHpL8KLcXI7kODISIeksZk1jvmq61ocBQDnB5N-pk8XKGBZIo5tGmeFPNFHK7TuqmJK0kHwNXcik-zBOrWaCzZMCep-Mc1uFWbYBth3fB0xyhig-UBOkRYPciFz-lqHI7QmxPYxJi8YwWmc-ivAkTL43pzTKCPNEFMP9MYihOOtsDX4CmqrqbtxmRt1nZk_0b-U7Pxfyn3m464IfrX89WXfNeCNcWEzx0PXqtSgqocHhsCS6vEEeWd9xgNseSXUYOQ7oc44QlhSY6VxG9Aa7dUbkNg9DQuVJnC8fZGw6vgkjUIA_I5FCQ=w600-no

x_b0ONLJWOE2IQoKQXhWaBrWNqtwtdyv3lVUWgCG0w_S6YRmIfAIfVMMqgWbgluftuZIeBOZV2vxYtc-a78KH6gJ6WclccGpW6J-3e2qtrWfjAV7aOH2huNdlxsDiZooMjV7SupTf6v-yFulOIj3fLQeVfQpi3BmcxBTxn605Z6kGCtd4opUbGR3LTHs-6-hAM_W-VcMDcQGUDFVHXNmDne2wqO0DPHovMK1AMFL3TNBfZibnGqNzqhduQb7lp7GV6undJwpuPGrwKwIt8__AxUJI-RP07J-rEexWr395bcLL6plZJvdiqrde2lzdqX8RFDLCN-HP0ZjoPLN3Ag_TOOkJfej0TtgVsJppYCy5KVKQtntF2gll5K448SRyOuBntNBjEsfX3ExAJ1yy5pmXIZlbNaWB29k4XgHaRBA8gVdM8qQjA8FM-iGY80jxt45Q6l4a_vTYONhGDbYyZwplZoPBnhFIyNv5jp9vK1MWoH3C9yRt5RPloQa7MiQA2_42e0urMN6dFjetAA2n2e5prQ12Ow172L2sl1MoycqkkdnUwvuAxWrR5wxrWEMUPx-vwavk7XoWJqEr27rMaQ6WUAT0r-RuIGny7H1SlrvPN1WtcgIXgL6vzEL97ugCX2yB5XSEJj6XEGsleSEisZrUNT8MTlMXWcFTQ=w600-no

Last edited:
Closing the loop on this. I ended up drilling a pilot hole with my air drill, then drilled out the circle with my new 1" circle cutter on the electric drill, then cut the piece off with my new hack saw. The hack sawing took a little while but it was probably a lot less time than buying and setting up and learning how to use a band saw. Thanks all for the help.

I'm guessing this piece is made from 2" X 2" X .125" aluminum angle as supplied by Van's. If correct this is usually 6061 T6. I'm curious, how many major fabrication projects like this are necessary to complete most of their kits? Ten, twenty, more?

Sounds a bit curmudgeonly, but if you can afford to build an aircraft, and then own it, a cheap bandsaw and drill press are very minor purchases. They will come in handy more than once.
I use my scotchbrite wheel in my drill press for almost all deburring work.
Just my opinion, others will no doubt disagree.
Cheers, and happy Christmas
DaveH

Sounds a bit curmudgeonly, but if you can afford to build an aircraft, and then own it, a cheap bandsaw and drill press are very minor purchases. They will come in handy more than once.
I use my scotchbrite wheel in my drill press for almost all deburring work.
Just my opinion, others will no doubt disagree.
Cheers, and happy Christmas
DaveH

+1 for this post. A cheap band saw and a drill press are must haves in my opinion, particularly if building a slow build kit. I'm a TC and I just see so many builders fabricating second rate parts (and spending inordinate amounts of time doing so) because they simply don't have the right tools for the task at hand.
If you fabricate enough second rate parts you eventually end up with a second rate aircraft.

Bandsaw??

So I have to ask, what happened to the 10? band saw u bought back in 2013, per your build log ??
I consider it a basic tool for building an RV.

+1 for this post. A cheap band saw and a drill press are must haves in my opinion, particularly if building a slow build kit. I'm a TC and I just see so many builders fabricating second rate parts (and spending inordinate amounts of time doing so) because they simply don't have the right tools for the task at hand.
If you fabricate enough second rate parts you eventually end up with a second rate aircraft.

I absolutely agree on having the right tool for the job. As with most things it comes down to preference. I do have a bandsaw and have tried using it on a few parts but have gone back to hand tools mostly. For example many people seem to use the bandsaw to cut out stiffeners but I prefer to use snips.

Sometimes you have more control with hand tools and things don't get out of hand so quickly resulting in less parts ruined. Different strokes....

Now my drill press, that's another story. That I couldn't live without. :)

Fabricating

I'm guessing this piece is made from 2" X 2" X .125" aluminum angle as supplied by Van's. If correct this is usually 6061 T6. I'm curious, how many major fabrication projects like this are necessary to complete most of their kits? Ten, twenty, more?

Lots of them. Buy a good band saw. You'll be glad you did.
Others disagree but I find a low tooth count band blows through the thick stuff. I just cut outside the line and clean it up on the wheel.

It sounds more like you don't have a band saw because you don't have experience using one than a cost issue. If it is because of cost, the real cost of a tool is the difference in what you pay for it and what you can sell it for when you are done with it. That excludes any benefit you get from using it in time savings and quality of work you can produce with that tool.

Good luck on your build. I am sure you can find someone in your area to help learn the tricks of a band saw. Have fun!

Fabrication

Probably 20 or more.

Yea ... the T405 brackets. I used a scroll saw to cut up the stock to make the "make from" items to this point. After, a Craftsman 10" bandsaw (with a metal blade) was a godsend. RV builders: you need a bandsaw, even if it's a cheapo (like mine). The blades make it ..use Lenox; you won't be disappointed.

Band saw - yes!

I stupidly didn't buy a band saw, and regretted it several times during the build. Yes, you can work around not having one, but there are so many times when it will come in very handy. I'm basically done now so probably won't buy one, but every time I walk through that aisle at the hardware store I stop and drool...

Probably 20 or more.

Is that really the case?

The tank bracket is a part with curved cuts and is made from 3/16 thick material.

It the -7s and -9s are like the -6 (but I bet much more is cut for you :) ) then most of the other stuff that needs cutting from angle is thinner 1/16 and 1/8 stock and usually with fairly straight cuts. That is where a cut off wheel can do the job easily.

Back