VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-9/9A (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Flap position sensor installation (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=150426)

pilotphyl 06-13-2017 01:07 PM

Flap position sensor installation

Any one have recommendations for installation of position
Sensor.

Raymo 06-13-2017 01:48 PM

A web search of "Vans Flap position sensor installation," and you'll find lots of help.

krw5927 06-13-2017 05:37 PM

The MK-1 Eyeball is a great flap position sensor in the RV9. Requires no power, and the only maintenance is safety glasses in the shop and a once-a-year visit to the Optometrist.

Bavafa 06-13-2017 06:53 PM

I have the FPS+Plus and love it. It automatically set my trim and I have the option of a manual switch.

Bevan 06-13-2017 07:02 PM

I have the FPS (before trim was available) and love it. One push of the momentary toggle switch advances the flaps to the next "notch". Each amount of flap deployment is the same every time. Toggle switch up brings them all the way up (or I can partially raise them by returning the switch to mid position). Keeps my eyes looking forward. I prefer to not have to turn my head 90+ watching the flaps deploy. I can hear and feel them moving. That's enough for me. Not much trim adjustment necessary.

Bevan

ronschreck 06-14-2017 06:38 AM

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by krw5927 (Post 1180273)
The MK-1 Eyeball is a great flap position sensor in the RV9. Requires no power, and the only maintenance is safety glasses in the shop and a once-a-year visit to the Optometrist.

You can spend years adding useless gadgets to your airplane or you can build it light and simple and spend that time flying. Your choice.

rightrudder 06-14-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krw5927 (Post 1180273)

Yep, we think alike. Just a big paddle switch and eyeball verification.

Raymo 06-14-2017 04:09 PM

I wired for a position sensor but didn't install. A count of 1000 to 1008 and I know I'm full down or up and 2 second increments when I need to deploy partial flaps.

However, installation of a sensor is up to the builder.

airguy 06-14-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bevan (Post 1180293)
I have the FPS (before trim was available) and love it. One push of the momentary toggle switch advances the flaps to the next "notch". Each amount of flap deployment is the same every time. Toggle switch up brings them all the way up (or I can partially raise them by returning the switch to mid position). Keeps my eyes looking forward. I prefer to not have to turn my head 90+ watching the flaps deploy. I can hear and feel them moving. That's enough for me. Not much trim adjustment necessary.

Bevan

I've got this as well and love it. No guesswork about how much flaps you're putting in, and a go-around is a simple toggle-up with throttle-up and forget it. I'm not a fan of looking at a bunch of stuff other than the threshold while on short final, so I have my plane set up for HOTAS.

Bavafa 06-14-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronschreck (Post 1180359)
useless gadgets

That certainly is a matter of opinion.