What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR Transponder check

Papa

Well Known Member
I went through this four or five years ago with a different airplane, but can't remember exactly what's involved. My RV-8 is finished and at the airport waiting for it's DAR inspection. The aircraft is VFR only, but I need to get the transponder check done. What does this involve, and do they do a full static system check? I have the Dynon 180 feeding my transponder its altitude information, and if memory serves me correctly, radio shops can sometimes be a little touchy about that sort of thing.

Thanks, Mark

A VFR Transponder check is just that...a quick transponder check...no pitot/static. Should take longer to do the paperwork than it does to do the actual check. The test box will check power output, frequency deviation, reporting, and if Mode S a few other things.

Cheers,
Stein

See 91-413. In your case you will comply with 43 appendix E. Thereafter VFR aircraft:43 appendix F which is having the transponder transmit frequency tested only unless system modified.

In my case, the encoder was 200+ feet off. It's a blind encoder and not a Dynon. I fly under a Class B veil which makes accuracy important. I had someone come out, and do the pitot/static testing as well. Took a bit over two hours for adjustments and paperwork. Cost me $229 including travel expense. Compared to some service work in the HVAC industry that I'm in.........it was actually kind of cheap. :)

L.Adamson

The aircraft altimeter Kollsman window is set to 29.92 and the encoder/trnsponder is checked to verify that it reporting an altitude within 100 ft of the aircraft altimeter. The transponder is also checked for power output, frequency and a couple of other parameters that are unique to the transponder. A static check of the altimeter and encoder up to your maximum altitude is a good thing to do, especially for a fresh installation, but is not required for VFR.

Alan has it right.
A static system check is required on all new installations and any time the system has been opened up, or any change where an error of the data correspondence may be introduced. Part 91.413 (b).

So, I am about to have the FAA out to inspect on Monday. Is this transponder check required to be able to pass inspection?

Just checked with EAA and they tell me that as long as the initial flight is operated out of airspace that does not require a transponder, a transponder check is not required to pass inspection. Before flying into airspace that does require a transponder, the check must be performed.

thanks,
greg

Last edited:
Back