What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy gap

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Fitting the canopy I get a gap here in either side. Is that expected? Does the fairing layup catch that later?

Second question is about the forward canopy line. My best fit to minimize the side air gap and have no left over rear canopy to trim is with the forward canopy 1:16 or so forward of the forward canopy line. How critical is the forward position?

Last edited:
Got it. When I sand forward if this area to make the surface fit the fuse do I need to worry about fine sanding it? Or is the bonding going to relieve the need for that?

Got it. When I sand forward if this area to make the surface fit the fuse do I need to worry about fine sanding it? Or is the bonding going to relieve the need for that?

For clarification, please define "this area" and "the surface".

Its the area forward of the notch in the picture; it is sanded to smooth the transition of the window onto the forward aluminum surface. No mention is made anywhere of needing to polish it with fine grit paper like is discussed with the edges.

Its the area forward of the notch in the picture; it is sanded to smooth the transition of the window onto the forward aluminum surface. No mention is made anywhere of needing to polish it with fine grit paper like is discussed with the edges.

Ok

All edges of the canopy should be finish the same way regardless of whether they get a fiberglass lay-up over them or not.

Back