What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tricks for riveting F-01455 seal angles to sub panel (page 35-07 step 5)

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I managed to put the center seal angle on the sub panel frame without it getting too ugly. The access seems pretty tight. And the side pieces really didn't want to line up the holes all the way around. So I thought I should ask here for tips and tricks before I continue with this step. Anyone?

I don't recall it being particularly difficult. I think I clecoed every other hole and it lined up pretty well. I bucked from behind using a normal universal rivet attachment for the gun. (shop heads on back of sub panel). One trick I've learned is to use lower pressure on those small universal head rivets than almost anywhere else. I use a regulator for this and typically get down to 18 or even 15 PSI.

A smiley face or two may or may not have happened but that's what #40 drill bits are for....

I finally gave up on putting the shop heads on the back side of the panel (toward the firewall), to match all the other rivets I had on the sub panel, and moved the manufactured heads to that side. That gave me a straight shot with my rivet set, unlike the seal angle side, and much better results. I wish I had done that from the beginning.

Back