VAF Forums

VAF Forums (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php)
-   RV-10 (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Another quickbuild question. (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=150151)

RandyAB 06-04-2017 06:32 PM

Another quickbuild question.
 
I apologize it this question has been answered before. I did search....

I'm about 40% of through the empennage build. I've made steady progress since starting in late March. I do like building but I also like flying. Absolutely everybody that I've come across has recommended the QB if finances were not a problem. I'm now thinking that I will go this route after meeting yet another RV owner and his amazing RV at a fly-in today.

My question is what kits to buy with my next order? Would one typically order the finishing kit with the qb wings and qb fuselage, or is there enough work still to do with the qb kits that the finishing kit should be put off?

Thanks!

civengpe 06-04-2017 06:50 PM

The normal progression is empenage, QB wings, QB fuse, then finish kit. In the middle/end there are engine and avionics.

I wouldn't order the finish kit until you are rounding out the fuse.

RandyAB 06-04-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civengpe (Post 1178084)
The normal progression is empenage, QB wings, QB fuse, then finish kit. In the middle/end there are engine and avionics.

I wouldn't order the finish kit until you are rounding out the fuse.

My understanding is that there is really minimal work to be done on the wings, so it seems that the qb wings and qb fuselage should be ordered together. Is that not true? I don't have as good an understanding about how much is left to do on the fuselage. How many work hours on both the qb kits until I'm going to need the finishing kit?

David Paule 06-04-2017 08:51 PM

Personally, I like to have the next kit on hand when I'm starting the kit before it. Then there's no only no lead time to deal with in the construction, parts are on hand if you want them.

On the other hand, you might well decide to order certain after-market items to upgrade or change something and if you simply order the finish kit directly, you'll be paying for some of that stuff twice. So if you do order it early, be sure of your decisions.

On my slow-build RV-3B (I have a flying airplane and enjoy building), I ordered the finish kit before I even started the fuselage. I asked for some things to be withheld from it because I was planning alternatives to those, and Van's accommodated that request. So far the only item from this kit that I used is the engine mount, since I already had an engine - and the engine is another thing that you might want to think about.

Dave

CDN 06-04-2017 09:06 PM

RV-10 QB
 
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the compliment on my RV-10. It was nice meeting you today and I'll get you up for a flight soon. Maybe I can fly to Villeneuve (or whatever airport is closest to you) soon and trade a flight for lunch. You have my cell#, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

My RV-10 was completed in 20 months and I was still over a year from the time I bought the QB wings and fuselage to the time I purchased the finish kit. For me it made the most sense to purchase the finish and FWF kits at the same time to save on shipping costs.

Before I flew to Parkland today I helped a friend in Cold Lake finish up some rivets on his tail cone. It's nice to see a few more of these birds being built around here. Keep banging those rivets and fixing those "hips".

Regards,
Colin

RandyAB 06-04-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDN (Post 1178109)
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the compliment on my RV-10. It was nice meeting you today and I'll get you up for a flight soon. Maybe I can fly to Villeneuve (or whatever airport is closest to you) soon and trade a flight for lunch. You have my cell#, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

My RV-10 was completed in 20 months and I was still over a year from the time I bought the QB wings and fuselage to the time I purchased the finish kit. For me it made the most sense to purchase the finish and FWF kits at the same time to save on shipping costs.

Before I flew to Parkland today I helped a friend in Cold Lake finish up some rivets on his tail cone. It's nice to see a few more of these birds being built around here. Keep banging those rivets and fixing those "hips".

Regards,
Colin

Thanks Colin. That is exactly the info that I was looking for.

You're welcome with the compliment! Your airplane looks fantastic which speaks for itself! I would LOVE to take a ride in your plane. :) I'd gladly pick up a lunch for you just for the information you shared with me today during our ramp meeting. I will text you for sure.

RandyAB 06-04-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Paule (Post 1178105)
Personally, I like to have the next kit on hand when I'm starting the kit before it. Then there's no only no lead time to deal with in the construction, parts are on hand if you want them.

On the other hand, you might well decide to order certain after-market items to upgrade or change something and if you simply order the finish kit directly, you'll be paying for some of that stuff twice. So if you do order it early, be sure of your decisions.

On my slow-build RV-3B (I have a flying airplane and enjoy building), I ordered the finish kit before I even started the fuselage. I asked for some things to be withheld from it because I was planning alternatives to those, and Van's accommodated that request. So far the only item from this kit that I used is the engine mount, since I already had an engine - and the engine is another thing that you might want to think about.



Dave

Thanks for this input Dave. It was very helpful. I think I'm going to order the qb wings and fuse and leave the finishing kit for later.

RandyAB 06-04-2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDN (Post 1178109)
Hi Randy,

......fixing those "hips".

Regards,
Colin

:) LOL. No comment.

rvanstory 06-05-2017 06:18 AM

I think you and I are about the same stage in the build. I started my tail section in February and am about 2 weeks from completion. Finishing up tail cone now and then attach/fit all the tail feathers.

I originally ordered QB Wings and Fuse at same time as Emp Kit due to backlog. Later decided to cancel QB Fuse and change it to slow build. This is due to some soundproofing and mods I want to make. From what others on forum say, it's much too hard to make some changes to fuse after it's put together (removing riveted sections, etc...). As well as some builders posted that the fuse kit was the most enjoyable part of the build for them.

Also, lead time on QB kits (at that time) was 7 months! Assuming that's still true, if you order now, it'll be 2018 before you see either one of them. If you're approaching end of emp kit, you may have a lot of down time before any QB kits show up. A standard build kit only takes a few weeks to arrive. This lets me start work on fuse while I wait for wings. No down time with nothing to work on.

mciaglia 06-05-2017 09:32 AM

SB Fuse QB Wings
 
I just finished the tailcone. I ordered the QB wings and SB fuse about 2 months ago and am receiving the SB fuse next Monday. I also read how many people really enjoyed the fuse build as each piece was different and could see the shape of the plane come together which is why I decided to build. As for the QB wings when I placed the order in early April I was told October for delivery. I figure I should have a big chunk of the fuse done by then. In addition, I have read there isn't a whole lot of work to do to the wings. I didn't attach the tail feathers as I am space limited. Once I move into my second garage and kick both my car and wife's car out I will attach them. Planning the ordering of the kits whether SB or QB is crucial to maintaining a consistent build time.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 AM.