What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Seat Foam?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am thinking of getting the Van's seat foam and having them covered locally. For those of you who have used the Van's foam:

1) Do you cover each piece individually (wedge, booster, seat, and back)?
2) Is the seat cut out for the crotch strap seat belt?

Thanks,
John
RV7

I had mine covered individually.

That way I can adjust the seat height based on my passenger. Really tall guys get just the long cushion, short guys get the wedge plus an extra inch or two.

I fly with just the wedge and the long piece.

They are very comfortable on long flights.

Flightline

Have you talked with Flightline Interiors? As I recall, you can have foam shipped straight to them and they will cover foam at a very reasonable cost. John

Last edited:
Foam

Alot of shops will do custom foam work for you cheaper than the vans foam sets. That way you can customize the feel of the seats. My seat guy took one look at the vans foam and said " you will not like it". I had him do different density foam and glad I did. 4 + hr legs are no problem.

Alot of shops will do custom foam work for you cheaper than the vans foam sets. That way you can customize the feel of the seats. My seat guy took one look at the vans foam and said " you will not like it". I had him do different density foam and glad I did. 4 + hr legs are no problem.

You should know that in the -10, the pilot sits on top of the spar carry-thru. In the event of a vertical impact, there is little crush space available. The Vans foam was specifically designed by Oregon Aero to provide controlled crush space, to protect your spine.
I find the Vans seats to be perfectly okay for long flights. If it?s cold, they?re a bit firm until things warm up.

You should know that in the -10, the pilot sits on top of the spar carry-thru. In the event of a vertical impact, there is little crush space available. The Vans foam was specifically designed by Oregon Aero to provide controlled crush space, to protect your spine.
I find the Vans seats to be perfectly okay for long flights. If it?s cold, they?re a bit firm until things warm up.

To each his own. I?m sure they did extensive testing on the memory foam that they use. Yes it is firm when cold , but once it warms you might as well be sitting on the spar carry through. I still stand behind my choice.

Thanks guys for the info.

How does the Van's foam compare to the foam that comes with the seats from Flight Line Interiors?

John

Back