What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 Rudder Trailing Edge Riveting

Mick RV7

Yes the time has come to rivet trailing edge.So far everything has gone very well.The first part seems ok half setting with back riveting tool but flipping the rudder over and using the mushroom set you would only want the rivet you are riveting on the backing plate?Any advice would be much appreciated

Correct

Yes the time has come to rivet trailing edge.So far everything has gone very well.The first part seems ok half setting with back riveting tool but flipping the rudder over and using the mushroom set you would only want the rivet you are riveting on the backing plate?Any advice would be much appreciated

That Aussie accent! Sorry, couldn't resist.
You read correctly. Basically means you need a table with a cut out for the back rivet plate. Draw lines so you can't miss the plate. Alternate setting rivets. Start every other 6 then 4, 2, etc. working back and forth till you're down to every one.
I assume the adhesive you used on the AEX wedge is set and the seam is straight.

Yes an Aussie.I used 3M Aerospace Sealant purchased from the engineers that do our Ag planes done 2days ago.Yes got a backing plate on my table cut into the carpet on it.When you flip it over and use mushroom tool you only want the rivet I'm setting on the backing plate as to keep edge straight?

Backing plate

Yes an Aussie.I used 3M Aerospace Sealant purchased from the engineers that do our Ag planes done 2days ago.Yes got a backing plate on my table cut into the carpet on it.When you flip it over and use mushroom tool you only want the rivet I'm setting on the backing plate as to keep edge straight?

Yes, but the alternating is what keeps the edge straight. Keeping the rivet over the plate insures you don't bang a huge crease or dent. I would encourage cutting a sheet of plywood the same thickness as the plate and the dimension of the bench top with a hole for the plate. Maybe make a few with holes in different places. Draw lines extending from the hole for alignment. The level working surface will help keep things straight. You'll use it many times over. Hope it turns out perfect.

Yes, but the alternating is what keeps the edge straight. Keeping the rivet over the plate insures you don't bang a huge crease or dent. I would encourage cutting a sheet of plywood the same thickness as the plate and the dimension of the bench top with a hole for the plate. Maybe make a few with holes in different places. Draw lines extending from the hole for alignment. The level working surface will help keep things straight. You'll use it many times over. Hope it turns out perfect.

You gotta flip the text upside down so the Aussie's can read it Larry!!! Like this:

˙ʇɔǝɟɹǝd ʇno suɹnʇ ʇᴉ ǝdoH ˙ɹǝʌo sǝɯᴉʇ ʎuɐɯ ʇᴉ ǝsn ll,no⅄ ˙ʇɥƃᴉɐɹʇs sƃuᴉɥʇ dǝǝʞ dlǝɥ llᴉʍ ǝɔɐɟɹns ƃuᴉʞɹoʍ lǝʌǝl ǝɥ┴ ˙ʇuǝɯuƃᴉlɐ ɹoɟ ǝloɥ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ƃuᴉpuǝʇxǝ sǝuᴉl ʍɐɹp ˙sǝɔɐld ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp uᴉ sǝloɥ ɥʇᴉʍ ʍǝɟ ɐ ǝʞɐɯ ǝqʎɐW ˙ǝʇɐld ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ ǝloɥ ɐ ɥʇᴉʍ doʇ ɥɔuǝq ǝɥʇ ɟo uoᴉsuǝɯᴉp ǝɥʇ puɐ ǝʇɐld ǝɥʇ sɐ ssǝuʞɔᴉɥʇ ǝɯɐs ǝɥʇ pooʍʎld ɟo ʇǝǝɥs ɐ ƃuᴉʇʇnɔ ǝƃɐɹnoɔuǝ plnoʍ I ˙ʇuǝp ɹo ǝsɐǝɹɔ ǝƃnɥ ɐ ƃuɐq ʇ,uop noʎ sǝɹnsuᴉ ǝʇɐld ǝɥʇ ɹǝʌo ʇǝʌᴉɹ ǝɥʇ ƃuᴉdǝǝʞ ˙ʇɥƃᴉɐɹʇs ǝƃpǝ ǝɥʇ sdǝǝʞ ʇɐɥʍ sᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐuɹǝʇlɐ ǝɥʇ ʇnq 'sǝ⅄

Just kidding of course, welcome on board the VAF ship! I will echo having your backing plate level with your surface that the rest of the rudder is on (or whatever surface your riveting). Alternating sides will help control any slight warping from the riveting process too. Post some photos of how it turns out!

I borrowed a pneumatic squeezer so that the depth could be accurately, incremently increased whilst alternating along the length. Worked really well.

Straight as mate!

Back